Author Topic: Getting weather info for siting a house  (Read 2710 times)

Offline Patt

Getting weather info for siting a house
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:57:48 PM »
Hi,

We're going to be building a home in the next couple of years on a lot that we just bought.

I'm thinking that a weather station would be a great way to get data to tell us which way
to "point" the house in order to take maximum advantage of wind in the summer (we're in
the central Arizona desert).  Also, it'd be kind of cool to know just how warm it gets here, and
how much rain we can expect in a year.

A few things are keeping me from just throwing up a station and getting on with it:

1)  There's no electric power on the land at the moment.
      Do the stations run on batteries?  If they do run on batteries, could I just take a laptop
      out to the land once in a while and download the data?

2)  There's evidence that good ol' boys occasionally use the area for nighttime drinking despite
      the no-trespassing signs.
       Any ideas on making the station as vandal-proof as possible?

3)   I'll be using the station mainly for recording wind direction, wind speed, temperature, and
      rainfall.
       Doesn't seem like I need a terribly sophisticated model.  What should I be looking at
       when I go to buy?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Getting weather info for siting a house
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2010, 04:59:54 AM »
You sure are up against a real challenge. Personally I'd go for a less expensive but gets the job station because being unattended with night time party folks around, well... I want to do a similar thing up at our cabin in the hills but fear it would no longer be there on our following visit. Possibly a Fine Offset ( http://www.foshk.com/ ) station? Ambient sells them with their name (ws-2080), also know as Zephyr. They buffer/store data that could be retrieved later. They also seem to be reliable and accurate from what the members on here are saying. Here's a good place to look, http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=8230.0 .
Good luck and welcome to the forum Patt.

Dan
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:07:46 AM by DanS »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2010, 09:41:12 AM »
You need to be a bit more creative. <insert evil laughter here>.  Use some chain link panels (8') to box your weather station then put all sorts of radiation warning signs on the fence.   :twisted:
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2010, 10:31:03 AM »
Around here those signs would be full of bullet holes inside of a week.

I would think that sun direcion would be far more important than wind direction.  Morning and afternoon shade is what you need in the desert.

Offline Patt

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »
DanS,

Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look at those models.

I would think that sun direcion would be far more important than wind direction.  Morning and afternoon shade is what you need in the desert.

You're right, the sun is the primary concern.  I should have written that I'd be using the wind information for placing breezeways and windows.

Offline ed2kayak

• Ed
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro2 w/12 hr FARS, solar/uv
    • Cumberland Valley Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 11:19:36 AM »
How far is the nearest weather station?  Could you model from it?
Ed
CoCoRaHS PA-CD-6,  Weather Underground KPAMECHA7, CWOP DW5425

Offline Patt

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 11:50:49 AM »
How far is the nearest weather station?  Could you model from it?

Trying not to seem dense here...  I'm not sure what you're asking.

Are you talking about an amateur station like I'm thinking about putting up?  Or do you mean
an "official" ws, like run by the government or a TV station? 

When you say "model from it", do you mean duplicate what they've set up, or do you mean just use their information?

So much to learn.... lol

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 09:21:47 PM »

Sounds like a great place to live.  Not.  ;)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline DaculaWeather

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • North Georgia Weather
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2010, 05:54:49 PM »
Patt, I'd be afraid that the good 'ol boys would put holes in my weather station. I'm not so sure putting one up is a good idea right now. I think what ed2kayak was saying is where is the closest real weather station and base what you want to know on what they've recorded. Maybe find some personal weather stations (if there are any) and try to come up with some averages from their data.

Offline Wx4U

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2010, 10:14:19 PM »
Central Arizona would indicate that you would be in the general area of Phoenix. There are several airports in the area and the runways are aligned with the prevailing wind direction (most likely NE-SW in this area). A wind compass is required for the construction of runways. These consist of wind direction and speed with percentage of the time the wind is blowing for 36 points of the compass. Unless you are locating in a mountainous area the wind will not vary much. So,I suggest you google the nearest airports and check the airport diagram. Each runway will have 2 digit number at the end of the runway to provide the direction. (For instance, Chandler 04 - 22, meaning 040-220.
Bob
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller, Davis VP2 Wireless, WLS 5.8.2, LaCrosse 2308, Logitech Pro 9000 (Roof mounted on rotor), CoCoRaSh gauge, KTXARLIN35, Compaq Presario W/Vista