Author Topic: Ready for my first computer build  (Read 8008 times)

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
Ready for my first computer build
« on: December 15, 2013, 12:12:41 PM »
I am going to build my first computer. I am having trouble finding something I like with windows 7 so I figured I would build my own. I figure it will be easier to upgrade in the future swapping out components than buying a whole new computer. I am building a relatively high performance system for After Effects and Video editing for Video and Timelapse Photography. I ordered from Newegg and everything should be here by next weekend.

Hers the specs

Corsair Obsidian Series 650D (CC650DW-1) Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Mid Tower Case

ASUS SABERTOOTH Z87 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 02G-P4-3771-KR GeForce GTX 770 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card

Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C9D-16GXM

CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM

I already have a 500GB SSD and 3TB Caviar Black to install for Hard Drives

What do you think. Andy

Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline andro700

• Chuck
  • Forecaster
    • Gobles Weather Page
Re: Ready for my first computer build
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 12:26:08 PM »
Looks like a very nice setup to me. Would be plenty for a weather computer.

Chuck

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
Looks like a very nice setup to me. Would be plenty for a weather computer.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck I have a dedicated computer for all my weather related stuff This will be for Adobe after effects and video and photo editing.
Once you can accept the universe as being something expanding into an infinite nothing which is something, wearing stripes with plaid is easy.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 03:37:23 PM »
Hi Andy,

Looks like a good build. One question. Have you checked the memory and the hard drives to make sure they are compatible? Doing so will save a bunch of head banging.

Memory Listing - Look for 1600MHz

Memory

Device Listing

Device Listing

Just for the record, I haven't seen a hardware/device listing since Microsoft introduced the WHQL listing for Windows 98SE, NT3.51/4.0 /2000

Good luck with the build. Just take your time, and don't get in a hurry. And if you need any help, please yell.

John

Edit:  When you do get it built, check your CPU Temps closely. You may want to get a larger CPU cooler than the stock heatsink/fan. I have started using a Corsair H60 Cooler. It is self contained, so you don't have to add water. It comes completely assembled with the hoses and radiator/fan attached. It IS a challenge to mount to the CPU, while making sure you don't drop the radiator/fan onto the motherboard.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 03:41:51 PM by sacreyweather »
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 03:49:14 PM »
Hi John

I actually changed my memory from what I originally had configured. I posted my build in the Newegg forum and one of the moderators suggested I go with the memory I have listed which is 1600MHz. I definitely plan on taking my time no need to rush as i have a working computer already and thanks much for the offer of help.

Andy
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
    • Colorado Springs Weather
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 06:59:23 PM »
I got the same ram in my PC. Your gonna love the Corsair case. I'm a big Corsair fan as most of my PC is Corsair parts. Adding another Corsair product for Christmas. The Corsair H100i. Any plans to overclock the CPU since u got the K version? Nice pick on the GPU. Getting one of those as well. Make sure to load Win 7 on the SSD and use the spinners for storage. Need any help along the way don't hesitate to ask.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 07:10:54 PM »
I got the same ram in my PC. Your gonna love the Corsair case. I'm a big Corsair fan as most of my PC is Corsair parts. Adding another Corsair product for Christmas. The Corsair H100i. Any plans to overclock the CPU since u got the K version? Nice pick on the GPU. Getting one of those as well. Make sure to load Win 7 on the SSD and use the spinners for storage. Need any help along the way don't hesitate to ask.

Hi Ryan

My initial plan is to leave the CPU as is with the stock fan but I was looking at water cooling and overclocking saw some good videos on youtube. I want to get everything running and all set before I overclock this will be a major upgrade compared to my current system so I am not to concerned about overclocking right now. Thanks for the offer of help. I will post some pics when I am through.

Andy
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2013, 07:19:49 PM »
When you say water cooling do you mean a custom loop or just a liquid CPU cooler like I'm getting in 10 days. Sad thing is that it is coming tommorrow but can't open it yet. That's what the fiancé said. It's gonna kill me.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2013, 07:26:05 PM »
When you say water cooling do you mean a custom loop or just a liquid CPU cooler like I'm getting in 10 days. Sad thing is that it is coming tommorrow but can't open it yet. That's what the fiancé said. It's gonna kill me.

Like yours I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWWFjsJONYc&feature=share&list=PLH8-ob0l2Q-luvtNmoRHDRG6M6wa692mj&index=7 today and they are putting it in the same case that I am getting. Let me know how it goes for you. Good luck with the finance! Work on her.
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2013, 07:40:14 PM »

Like yours I watched this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWWFjsJONYc&feature=share&list=PLH8-ob0l2Q-luvtNmoRHDRG6M6wa692mj&index=7 today and they are putting it in the same case that I am getting. Let me know how it goes for you. Good luck with the finance! Work on her.

Are you trying to get a clean look with choosing the Asus MB? There is alot of MB's out there cheaper than that one. I reccommend the Z77 boards. I didn't see any fans on your list?  Pat will chime in this thread as well. He loves PC builds too! I will post a pic of my Corsair H100i on my PC Project thread when I get it installed. Oh I got revenge on her. I got her gift here too and she can't have it either. :lol:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 07:46:04 PM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 08:04:26 PM »
Ryan, the Z77 boards are for the 1155. He's going to run the 4770k which would be the 1150 platform so his choice there is good.

I almost went with a Sabertooth with my 3770k build but started thinking about the extra fans inside the shroud cover on the board. Sounds like a great idea but I didn't want to tempt fate with those little things going out on me. Nothing about their reliability as much as about my luck.

Big fan of Corsair as well! Looks like a nice build for its purpose - hope we get some photos out of it!

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2013, 08:07:57 PM »
Ryan, the Z77 boards are for the 1155. He's going to run the 4770k which would be the 1150 platform so his choice there is good.

I almost went with a Sabertooth with my 3770k build but started thinking about the extra fans inside the shroud cover on the board. Sounds like a great idea but I didn't want to tempt fate with those little things going out on me. Nothing about their reliability as much as about my luck.

Big fan of Corsair as well! Looks like a nice build for its purpose - hope we get some photos out of it!

Good catch Pat.   :oops:

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2013, 08:23:52 PM »
Hi Ryan

Took a little break to see the Packers beat the cowboys! When you say
I didn't see any fans on your list?
I thought the case came with the fans installed? and my understanding is a stock fan came with the CPU that I would use until I upgraded to Liquid and overclocked?

AndyThanks

I need to take another break to read the sports section in The Dallas Morning News!
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »
Hi Ryan

Took a little break to see the Packers beat the cowboys! When you say
I didn't see any fans on your list?
I thought the case came with the fans installed? and my understanding is a stock fan came with the CPU that I would use until I upgraded to Liquid and overclocked?

AndyThanks

I need to take another break to read the sports section in The Dallas Morning News!

Being that I'm from New Orleans and that I'm a Saints fan and don't like the Cowboys. Go Packers. Ok. I was referring to the rear exhaust. Normally the fans that come with the case doesn't meet my expectations as I think that you need a good strong fan pushing hot air out. My stock exhaust fan on the Corsair 500r was weak so I changed it. A stock CPU fan does come included.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 09:19:13 PM by hayskswx »

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2013, 10:24:03 PM »
Ok. I was referring to the rear exhaust. Normally the fans that come with the case doesn't meet my expectations as I think that you need a good strong fan pushing hot air out. My stock exhaust fan on the Corsair 500r was weak so I changed it. A stock CPU fan does come included.

Thanks Ill take a look
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2013, 02:25:49 PM »
Being that I'm from New Orleans and that I'm a Saints fan and don't like the Cowboys. Go Packers. Ok. I was referring to the rear exhaust. Normally the fans that come with the case doesn't meet my expectations as I think that you need a good strong fan pushing hot air out. My stock exhaust fan on the Corsair 500r was weak so I changed it. A stock CPU fan does come included.

One look at my avatar tells the my story about that GB-DAL game  =D> \:D/

The little LineM case I picked for "Junior" definitely had good stock flow out the back which surprised me some what but still put liquid on the CPU using a front fan mount for the radiator. The 600T has those giant fans in front and on top but I still went with a push-pull on the liquid cooler with a rear mount.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
Any progress Andy?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2013, 01:15:50 PM »
Any progress Andy?

YES! and thanks for asking. I seem to have a fully functioning Windows 7 PC. Overall everything went really well I got my case and power supply on Thursday and had that ready to go when everything else came on Friday.
It probably took about 3-4 hours on Friday from start to first boot. I installed the OS and drivers and did all updates without a hitch also made a backup ISO.  :grin: I took some pictures today but they did not turn out well I have a corsair H100i on order so I will post better pictures when it is installed. I ran cinebench and my numbers are OpenGL 121.85 and CPU 802. I will retest after installing the H100i and overclocking. My first impressions are that this is much faster than my old machine. Thanks a lot for asking.

Andy
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
Awesome. Glad to hear. My Corsair h100i is under the Xmas tree. Post the pics anyway. You can't make us wait.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2013, 01:23:01 PM »
Great Hoping mine is here by the end of the week :grin:
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2013, 01:26:55 PM »
Ill post some pics still havent downloaded to computer
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
Pictures
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »
Here is 3 they are not good will post more.

~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2013, 01:44:03 PM »
Nice work there Andy. I'm jealous of the GPU. How much did it set u back? The pics are fine.

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera

Offline Andy G

• Forecaster
    • SunPrairieWeather.com
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2013, 01:51:50 PM »
$389 from newegg plus a $10 rebate I went big on memory and GPU mainly for after effects and cinema 4d
~Einstein

SunPrairieWeather.com
Davis VP2 24 FARS

Offline cospringswx

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »
$389 from newegg plus a $10 rebate I went big on memory and GPU mainly for after effects and cinema 4d

Thanks. Thinking about getting the same one as a gift to myself for Xmas. I went big on ram also. I got 16. Did you load the OS on the SSD?

Ryan 

Colorado Springs, CO
www.cospringsweather.com
Davis Vantage Vue
Weather Display Software
Amcrest HD IP Camera