Author Topic: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition  (Read 14318 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Some of you may be aware that the NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations is transitioning to an upgraded web system. This message appears on many of the HTML5 HAniS-based animations:
SPECIAL MESSAGE:
On Tuesday December 6, 2016 at 11 a.m. EST (1500 UTC), a planned web system upgrade was performed. Due to this update there may be brief delays of data on the GOES web pages for the next few hours. We are aware of this problem and are working to correct it. For additional information see SATS message page.

Accordingly many HAniS-based HTML5 animations they create are currently in limbo even more than 24 hours after the transition.  If you are using any of my HAniS scripts, the US and Regional Satellite Loops, the Tropical Satellite Loops, the Sea Surface Temperature Loops, or the NOAA US WFO Satellite Loops you may find that the images may not exist, may not be current or may not align properly due to NOAA site transition.  (The OAX WFO Satellite Loop isn't functioning, but the Grand Forks, ND loop is, for instance.)

Use '?sce=view' (no quotes) on the above links to download the latest versions that I modified to detect the special message, correct the alignment, and display a warning message regarding the NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations transition. The main scripts are the only ones that have been modified and the 'includes' scripts are all unchanged.  I modified the 'SPECIAL MESSAGE' detection to use PHP's 'strpos()' function rather than 'preg_match()' because it's simpler and faster, as per the tip in the 'NOTES' of the 'preg_match()' PHP manual.

It may take a few days or more before things have settled down at NOAA Office of Satellite and Produce Operations, and their estimate of 'brief delays' turns out to have been overly optimistic.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
    • Northwest Arkansas Weather.com
Re: HAniS: NOAA Office of Satellite and Product Operations Is In Transition
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 07:16:07 PM »
Thank you very much for this update, Jerry!
Best Regards
tbrasel

Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Hardware: Davis 6153 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 with FARS
Software: VWS V15.00

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 07:21:19 PM »
Thank you very much for this update, Jerry!
No problem.  As I've been watching the progress of NOAA's Office of Satellite and Product Operations during the transition, they have slowly restored more and more of the HAniS-based loops.  It looks as though they first took care of those areas that were experiencing adverse weather.

It remains to be seen if my code to detect the 'SPECIAL MESSAGE' will revert the scripts to normal once the transition has been completed and the message is turned off. :-) I think it will, but I've been wrong before...
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
Jerry,

Mine is back up & running, although no time/date stamps yet, so maybe they are still configuring some since the message still appears.

I do have a question, is their anyway to default the county lines "on", instead of clicking them each time?

Thank you Jerry,

tbrasel
Best Regards
tbrasel

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:55:16 PM »
I do have a question, is their anyway to default the county lines "on", instead of clicking them each time?
tbrasel
The defaults are set by the NWS and since it's an iframe we're displaying I know of no way to modify the defaults.  Sorry :-(
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 07:31:42 AM »
Happy New Year, Jerry.

I noticed this message on the satellite page this morning. I think we loose our GOES 13 feed on January 3, 2018.
Do you know if (any) changes are going to take place with your script, or will the changes take place on the back end or nws end with no changes downstream with the script?

SPECIAL MESSAGE:  Satellite Change

GOES-16 is now GOES-East. Data on this page, although labeled GOES-East, is from GOES-13 and is no longer the official GOES-East imagery.

As always, thank you for your time.
Best Regards
tbrasel

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 08:54:54 AM »
This 'Special Message' has been up for a while now.  The GOES16 Imagery, while available, is still labeled at the bottom of the page as unsuitable for production use, hence 'preliminary'.  I've assembled a script that works fairly well for the new, SSL-enabled or 'https://', site because a couple of weeks ago the GOES-East HAniS loops disappeared from the OSPO site and I pared my HAniS script down to GOES-West only.  Then I saw recently that the GOES-East HAniS loops reappeared, so I've returned 'wxus-allloops-h5.php' to its original state.  As of today there's nothing to do there.

If you're interested in a very early look at the GOES16 HAniS script a zip is available, without the HAniS javascript, here.  You can get the latest HAniS version using the link provided at the bottom of 'wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php'.

I think there are two problems with the new script:  firstly, there are no time overlays on the images so I need to cobble together a way to do this, and secondly orientation as to place isn't intuitively obvious.  When skies are clear the nocturnal Geocolor images' centers of light pollution provide an excellent way to orient to place, and during the day the larger bodies of water do the same.  Clouds present a problem that can be partially overcome by loading one of the individual bands that all DO have an outline of the states overlaid.

Perhaps the new GOES-East Image Viewer team will rectify the place-orientation problem with a map overlay on the Geocolor images, but their times are currently above the images on their animations so I don't think they will provide a date-time overlay.

They also have 300x300 and 1200x1200 pixel images available, so perhaps this is something I could add to my script in order to accommodate any desire to use smaller or larger images?
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 09:06:58 AM »
Thanks for sharing the information. I had no ideal how long it had been up, as I was just checking my pages this morning after the new year. I also was unaware you had a goes-16 script out  =D>. Again thanks for sharing & let me look at this for awhile & I will get back with you.
Best Regards
tbrasel

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 10:54:24 AM »
I have it setup with the best options available. I selected "Cloud-Top-IR" to get the default state lines, although it always seems I am on the edge of regional sector images. However, the "Cloud-Top-IR" is the same image I use for my default console Simuawips image. I would be surprised if more views/options were not provided throughout this year. I am really  curious about the lightning goes-16 detects and image it displays.
Best Regards
tbrasel

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 11:13:50 AM »
I have it setup with the best options available. I selected "Cloud-Top-IR" to get the default state lines, although it always seems I am on the edge of regional sector images. However, the "Cloud-Top-IR" is the same image I use for my default console Simuawips image. I would be surprised if more views/options were not provided throughout this year. I am really  curious about the lightning goes-16 detects and image it displays.
Looks great!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Breezy

• Indian Trail Weather
  • Forecaster
    • Indian Trail Weather
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 12:56:50 PM »
Thanks Jerry! Looks really nice ... Much appreciated!

:grin:
Jeff

W7-64, Intel Z170A 16 GB RAM
Davis VP2 Plus, Davis Soil Moisture/Temp Sensors, Laser Snow Depth Sensor LR4/Fluke 414D

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 03:44:19 PM »
I've been working on using the 300x300 and 1200x1200 images in the script.  The default 600x600 works well in the narrow Saratoga template, but it looked scrawny in a standAlone version or a Widescreen Saratoga template.  Thus in today's version I've added the option to use the 1200x1200 images by default in Widescreen and when using the script standAlone

In my narrow template scroll down to 'Widescreen' and 'Set' it to 'On' in order to also see the 1200x1200 images in the Saratoga template. (Because of cookies unless you reset Widescreen to 'Off' you will always see 'Widescreen' on my site.  I always set it to 'Off'.)

The number of images to select in the dropdown also varies with the image size in order to avoid overrunning the iframe width.  Be forewarned that only the 'GEOCOLOR', '01', '02', '03', and '05' bands contain the 1200x1200 images.  The script will not allow any other bands with the 1200x1200 images and defaults back to 600x600 images if a band other than these is selected as the default band in the main script.  The resolution of the 1200x1200 images is impressive.

You may download today's version here.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 06:17:03 PM »
I've been working on using the 300x300 and 1200x1200 images in the script.  The default 600x600 works well in the narrow Saratoga template, but it looked scrawny in a standAlone version or a Widescreen Saratoga template.  Thus in today's version I've added the option to use the 1200x1200 images by default in Widescreen and when using the script standAlone

In my narrow template scroll down to 'Widescreen' and 'Set' it to 'On' in order to also see the 1200x1200 images in the Saratoga template. (Because of cookies unless you reset Widescreen to 'Off' you will always see 'Widescreen' on my site.  I always set it to 'Off'.)

The number of images to select in the dropdown also varies with the image size in order to avoid overrunning the iframe width.  Be forewarned that only the 'GEOCOLOR', '01', '02', '03', and '05' bands contain the 1200x1200 images.  The script will not allow any other bands with the 1200x1200 images and defaults back to 600x600 images if a band other than these is selected as the default band in the main script.  The resolution of the 1200x1200 images is impressive.

I absolutely agree about the resolution, as it appears crystal clear. The visible looks as if I am looking out the window.

I will likely add a visible (1200x1200) tab, then another for ifr (600x600) tab just below it in my flyout-menu.

I can cover night (ifr) & day (visible) like this. I already miss the ol satellite page which transitioned itself from ifr to vis & back on its own.

Thank you for the 1200 x 1200 script, Jerry.
Best Regards
tbrasel

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 10:04:15 PM »
There was a problem with the logic in the preliminary GOES16-HAniSloops-iframe.php that prevented the display of some yesterday's images after midnight.  This has been corrected in today's version.  I've also removed lots of inactive code from this script.

The NOAA GOES Satellite Distribution Center now overlays the regional GEOCOLOR maps with the states' outlines, so it's now possible to easily understand the geography.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2018, 09:53:17 AM »
Any changes for us Stand -Alone users? Notice the last 3 images are not showing up in the loops whereas they do show on your site.
I like that they added state lines to the Geocolor. Wish they'd add a timestamp in one of the corners also.

Nice work on this Jerry.
Severe Weather Manager-Vermilion County EMA
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2018, 10:30:36 AM »
Since the StandAlone version also relies on the iframe, you get the benefit of the revised logic that corrects the midnight-related error. :-) The 1200x1200 pixel maps also get the states' outline overlay.

My logic for accessing the images on the NOAA GOES Satellite Distribution Center is very primitive in that it only displays images that are named at  '7' minutes which only occurs every 10 minutes, i.e. 07, 17, 27, 37, 47, and 57 minutes every hour.  These are almost always present, but when they aren't they are skipped with the latest HAniS versions.  Unfortunately it can take a few minutes for the latest image(s) to appear, and when that happens they obviously won't show up either.  I've been playing around with trying to detect when the images aren't there, and I just had another idea.  Probably won't work either, but I'll see...

Yes, a timestamp would be very much appreciated!
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2018, 11:27:46 AM »
Hmmm. Ok, thanks for the info. Been running for over an hour with new iframe page but missing images are still showing up.
I also noticed that your frame indicator below the image loop has red that turns to green. Is this a setting that I'm miss seeing?
Maybe I need another cup of coffee to make me focus. I must be missing something.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 12:13:31 PM by rrrick8 »
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2018, 12:26:25 PM »
Hmmm. Ok, thanks for the info. Been running for over an hour with new iframe page but missing images are still showing up.
I also noticed that your frame indicator below the image loop has red that turns to green. Is this a setting that I'm miss seeing?
Maybe I need another cup of coffee to make me focus. I must be missing something.
I think you just need the latest hanis_min.js, contained within the attached zip.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2018, 12:54:05 PM »
I think you just need the latest hanis_min.js, contained within the attached zip.

Thanks, I checked and had thought I'd updated that some time ago but didn't. Loaded and been running it a bit now and the image loading seems better and faster but no change in the frame indicators below the looped image. No red while loading or missing just the solid green and orange for active frame. 

« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 01:02:16 PM by rrrick8 »
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 01:13:04 PM »
Well, that updated hanis script broke my Firefox browser.  ](*,)

Images will not load and it locks my entire browser up. Is there a php version # requirement on the new hanis_min.js ?
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 02:38:11 PM by rrrick8 »
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2018, 02:54:02 PM »
Sorry about that.  Try Version 4.4 I've attached.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2018, 02:56:55 PM »
Sorry about that.  Try Version 4.4 I've attached.
Ok, will give it a go. Before I do... the images are definitely loading faster and less missed ones.
Just that hanis update locked up everything. Will let you know.
Thanks.
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2018, 03:01:46 PM »
Ahhhh. Much better. Looks like it's all working as intended.
Thanks Jerry.
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2018, 03:59:28 PM »
I've gotten a version of the iframe working that checks for the existence of the images before displaying them which eliminates the missing images altogether.  The downside is that the check requires a delay of a few seconds while the image files are being checked.

You can see this here and determine if the lookup is worth the time it takes.  As you know, the HAniS image-skipping works very well, so I have mixed feelings about the image-checking before setting up the list of filenames.

I've added a switch, '$checkFiles', to the Settings in 'wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php' that will determine if your site uses this routine.  Be aware that all three scripts MUST be updated: https://gwwilkins.org/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php?sce=view -
https://gwwilkins.org/inc-wxGOES16-HAniSLoops.php?sce=view - and
https://gwwilkins.org/wxGOES16-HAniSLoops-iframe.php?sce=view

There's a new zip on my site that contains the revised scripts along with some recent HAniS versions.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline rrrick8

• Senior Contributor
    • Vermilion weather
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2018, 04:30:25 PM »
Personally, I'm fine with what I have now thanks to your help. Only thing I'm looking forward to is eventually being able to get the other satbands with the 1200 widescreen
CWOP-CW9931 KILDANVI5

anything