Author Topic: Alternative to Davis UV and Solar sensors  (Read 5552 times)

Offline PaulyA

• Bellmere Weather (Queensland, Australia)
Alternative to Davis UV and Solar sensors
« on: July 28, 2011, 11:21:26 PM »
Hello fellow weather addicts!

I have a Oregon WMR200 weather station and have given up on the UVN800 sensor as they only seem to last a year (just past their warranty) and then die. I have had two now and feel that they are not up to the job and after 14 month or so they just send zero to my display. Oregon didn't seem to know or care why.  :-(

Does anyone know if there are any UV meters / Solar meters that are stand alone and have a USB or serial connection so I can capture data, instead of replacing my entire weather station and replacing it with a Davis Vantage Pro2 with the solar sensors?
I have had a look around the web and can't really seem to find anything that can be permanently outside.

Many thanks

Paul
www.bellmereweather.net (Near Caboolture, Queensland, Australia)

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
Re: Alternative to Davis UV and Solar sensors
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:27:43 AM »
I've owned a Davis VP2+ for many years and it has served well.  You can check out Hobby Boards http://www.hobby-boards.com/catalog/index.php solar and UV index boards that connect with 1-wire technology.  Lots of work with that using Java or microcontrollers will make you appreciate the Davis.
There is some DIY information on this thread: http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=11743.msg113047#msg113047
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 05:49:43 AM »
Does anyone know if there are any UV meters / Solar meters that are stand alone and have a USB or serial connection so I can capture data, instead of replacing my entire weather station and replacing it with a Davis Vantage Pro2 with the solar sensors?

My thought is that you can't go wrong with a Davis, if you can afford it.  I've been very satisfied with my unit, and Davis' customer service is top-notch.

Good luck!  :)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:39:34 AM »
If you do decide to get a VP2, there is a good chance that the UV sensors might be replaced with a different version in the near future (maybe a few months or half year).  Davis has just started field testing them with volunteers now.  In as much as there haven't been any reports of the UV sensors failing, it is probable that the new version might be sold at a much reduced cost rather than being re-engineered for increased durability.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 06:14:14 PM »
Do you use Weather Display along with any additional temperature/humidity sensors? If so, there is a, "temperature in a jar" setup. The additional sensor is placed in a jar. As the jar sensor heats up to solar heating, this is translated into solar W/M2. I've used Weather Display so I wouldn't know if any other software programs do this. Thought this might help a little.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline PaulyA

• Bellmere Weather (Queensland, Australia)
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 08:21:27 PM »
Thank you for your replies everyone.  I am looking at a Davis station, however I have grown attached to my WMR200. (That isn't bad if that is my only problem in life!)
I will have a look at the 1-wire option and also research the "Thermometer in a Jar" idea...   :grin:
www.bellmereweather.net (Near Caboolture, Queensland, Australia)