Author Topic: WiFiLogger - Connect your Davis console directly to the Internet via WiFi  (Read 109326 times)

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
So if I don't use Cumulus I don't need to use the auto-pause feature when 1.14 is released?

Yes. WiFiLogger will evolve. You will have to update system when you will be interested in a new features, or there will be a bug reported.
version 1.14 will repair CWOP export, and gives you auto pause to operate with Cumulus. So I guess that nothing interested for you with this version.

Wojciech, I'm experiencing what seems to be a bug in v1.13 where it is sending the wrong temperature to Weather Underground.  The temperature field is reading the same as the high temperature within each cycle period.  Can you please check to see if that is the case?  I want the normal temperature which is the average temperature the way I set it up.  Thanks.

I have checked.
Before upload to Weather Underground I am reading actual data from console (LOOP command) and fresh data is being uploaded. When it's uploading, that what you can see on your console, that data will be send at this moment.
Average  temperature is option for archive records, those can be exported throught WL.com option, or file via FTP.

There is no option to read archive records and send it to WU, or any other service. It's more complicated. What if somebody has 1h arch interval and 3min upload int. to WU?
This option what you except can be made only when WU upload will be synchronized with arch. interval. It's a little complicated, but can be done.
Weather Underground is calculating own average temp, you need only increase the frequency of your uploads.

WiFiLogger software operate on data from console only, no calculations are made except units.

Offline optical_man

• WeatherUnderground
My bad.  I was looking in the morning time when the temperature was steadily increasing and therefore I mistakenly assumed you were sending the high temperature.  I haven't tried any shorter than a 5minute interval.  I'll do some more testing to see if WU will do the averaging for me if I send more often.  I don't like seeing data with spikes.  The SHT31 sensor is very responsive which can make the data look eratic unless averaged over a reasonable time period.  5minutes seems reasonable to me.  Thanks for your response.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Hmm. It's actually quite a big limitation if the WFL doesn't handle and send archive records. It could be a reason not to buy one, actually. Practically all online PWS services work with the archive records. The extra is the "rapid" interface which has limited usefulness, mostly for wind/gusts. Most people aren't interested in sending "rapid-fire" records, including me. I'd suggest reviewing this feature.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Hmm. It's actually quite a big limitation if the WFL doesn't handle and send archive records.

Do you think that WeatherLink or Cumulus is sending archive records to WU, PWS, WOW Awekas etc.?

WL.com is using archive records and this feature is working fine. WeatherLink is exporting archive records as a text file, so WiFiLogger make the same.
 - You can download arch. from web interface, as a text, or raw binary data
 - You can download it from WL.com if you have account
 - You can export archs as a text file (csv format)

What more do you like to do with archive records?

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
Do you think that WeatherLink or Cumulus is sending archive records to WU, PWS, WOW Awekas etc.?

As far as I know, yes, they do that. They send values from archive records, including WeeWx. They even catch up all the missed archive records in case of some intermittent failure. The 2.5-3s LOOP records are not needed as the console does a quite fine job of accumulating data for the archive periods. I know that some or all of them can be set to receive LOOP records as well (for instant display or whatever). On WU it's a separate feature to enable rapid fire records handling, standard is using archive records and archive period. I don't use the rest.

What more do you like to do with archive records?

It would be nice if WFL continued to send data to services based on the archive records of the console. Basically that's it.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 10:05:37 AM by kobuki »

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
It would be nice if WFL continued to send data to services based on the archive records of the console. Basically that's it.

I will make this option if it's really needed. Then Uploads will be synchronized with arch. interval.
It's changing a lot, so time is needed for that.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
I don't think Cumulus is sending archive records to those sites, however Cumulus has settings to "Catch Up" to send to PWS, WB, WU and WOW from the time of Cumulus shut down and a restart.
Paul

Offline optical_man

• WeatherUnderground
I will make this option if it's really needed.  Then Uploads will be synchronized with arch. interval.  It's changing a lot, so time is needed for that.
Yes, that is what I was expecting for the upload frequency to be aligned with the archival period (must match).  Whereas, RapidFire would still use immediate LOOP data many times inbetween.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Yes, that is what I was expecting for the upload frequency to be aligned with the archival period (must match).  Whereas, RapidFire would still use immediate LOOP data many times inbetween.

I am using WeatherLink and I was testing WiFiLogger on Cumulus, both are using LOOP data to for uploads. For arch. records those programs has other media like text file. So I made it.
If you want uploads from arch. memory it will be done. Please be patience, this needs time.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
How did you determine that eg. Cumulus is using LOOP data for uploads and not archive records? I'm asking because WeeWx (open source, so it's easy to verify) reads loop packets to allow plugins access to them, but actually uses archive records for display and upload. I assumed that Cumulus is the same in that regard and only uses the LOOP data when the service requires it. I can only ask the dev to make sure, though, hence why I asked you. The significance of this is that the weather station conditions can get interpreted and processed in multiple ways from a single station when one would expect an uniform presentation and experience on all media (console, Cumulus local web page, online PWS, etc).

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
I'm asking because WeeWx (open source, so it's easy to verify) reads loop packets to allow plugins access to them, but actually uses archive records for display and upload

Is that really the case with weewx? Say you have a 30-minute archive interval set. So any clients, other than plugins, only get new data every 30 mins?

TBH I'd assumed that with most software the default was to use only LOOP data, with archive being reserved for catch-up scenarios. But not looked into it in great detail.
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
How did you determine that eg. Cumulus is using LOOP data for uploads and not archive records?

Reverse engineering. I have spent many days with TCP/IP sniffer and RS232 sniffer. Mostly for WL.com.
WeatherLink + WU plugin, before WU upload WeatherLink is connecting to console and download LOOP data.
Cumulus has option to download arch. records, but when you don't turn it on, it works the same + uploaded data are same like current not arch.
I am using 30 min arch. interval. Maybe when somebody use 1-5 min, that will change in those programs.

Best export option is WL.com. This system takes all data in proper way from console. Almost transfering whole memory to WL.com server.

You are asking for arch. records, but really good data is HiLOWS. WeatherLink serves you day hi/low, but console has monthly and yearly as well. These are also exported to WL.com. Very good statistical data from the console and nobody is asking for it.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
WeatherLink + WU plugin, before WU upload WeatherLink is connecting to console and download LOOP data.
It's worth noting that before upload you can only query archive or hilo data, not real-time loop data, since that needs to be accumulated for the duration of the archive interval (OK, technically you can query LOOP data but makes little sense here). Isn't there a bit of mix up?

I am using 30 min arch. interval. Maybe when somebody use 1-5 min, that will change in those programs.
For the software that sync uploads to the archive interval, it's most logical to use the archive records. Loop is only interesting of you want to see quick changes in conditions like wind gusts.

Best export option is WL.com. This system takes all data in proper way from console. Almost transfering whole memory to WL.com server.
Yeah, it's Davis on both ends so whatever they see fit...

You are asking for arch. records, but really good data is HiLOWS. WeatherLink serves you day hi/low, but console has monthly and yearly as well. These are also exported to WL.com. Very good statistical data from the console and nobody is asking for it.
Most probably because looking at historical data and extremes (~ hilo data) for a given period is what online services excel at. You can select a dynamic view you're interested in and not confined to the console's capabilities.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
I don't think Cumulus is sending archive records to those sites, however Cumulus has settings to "Catch Up" to send to PWS, WB, WU and WOW from the time of Cumulus shut down and a restart.
Paul
I forgot to say, and you likely already knew this,  that the Catch up data is then at the logger interval.  It is highly recommended that the logger and Cumulus data are set at the same interval otherwise issues can arise.
Paul

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
TBH I'd assumed that with most software the default was to use only LOOP data, with archive being reserved for catch-up scenarios. But not looked into it in great detail.

From the original CumulusMX announcement
A note to Davis owners:
I am experimenting with the use of the LOOP2 packet. The current code uses this for two purposes. First, it uses the 'peak 10-minute gust' value, to avoid the problem where a gust might be missed (although hopefully this will not be such an issue with Cumulus MX as it does not use the Davis DLL), and secondly it uses the 'absolute pressure' value to make calculation of 'altimeter pressure' easier and more accurate. This is mainly used if you upload to CWOP.

The LOOP2 packet is supported on the VP2 with firmware version 1.90 or later, and on the Vue. If you have a Vantage Pro (i.e. the original 'VP1'), or a VP2 with pre-1.90 firmware, or if you are using Virtual VP, none of these support the LOOP2 packet. In these cases, you should edit cumulus.ini and add a line to the [Station] section:

UseDavisLoop2=0
Some changes may have been made through the ongoing development of CumulusMX so the extent of LOOP2 use may have changed.
I have tested WiFiLogger with CumulusMX a few weeks ago and the only issue was the communication issue due to more than one program trying to get access.

Cumulus1 does not use LOOP2. 

Paul

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
It's worth noting that before upload you can only query archive or hilo data, not real-time loop data, since that needs to be accumulated for the duration of the archive interval (OK, technically you can query LOOP data but makes little sense here). Isn't there a bit of mix up?

I just don't know, what to say.
1. WU, PWS, Awekas, WOW etc. don't expect arch. records. They expect current data with time of reading. So WFL is sending max 4s old data. I can change that to 1s if you like. We can say that arch. records are not allowed, because arch. rec. are statistical data and those services makes own statistic.
2. Show me the proof that any of those programs are sending arch. records, when uploads are the same like current loop readings and uploaded data sent is not even a bit similar to the arch. records
3. With 30 min arch. interval. WFL should transmit every 1min same old archive data?
4. There can be only an option to synchronized uploads with arch. records interval and then option to use those statistical data instead of current data readings. This is an option which most programs don't use, but I agree that is very ok to use it.

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster
Some changes may have been made through the ongoing development of CumulusMX so the extent of LOOP2 use may have changed.
I have tested WiFiLogger with CumulusMX a few weeks ago and the only issue was the communication issue due to more than one program trying to get access.

Cumulus1 does not use LOOP2. 

LOOP2 has dew point and wind gust, that why WFL needs software 1.90+. There is no reason to use old console software. Many peoples are thinking that console update will make it GREEN DOT sensitivite. It won't be. You can only earn more data on it.

With auto pause cooperating won't be a problem any more. It works perfectly good. Much better I was suspecting.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
First, from what you wrote it seemed like the RE you've done showed that WL only queries the logger for archive data when it's time to upload. Contacting the logger only before upload can mean only one thing: reading an archive record. Did I misinterpret that?

I said that the only software where I can verify if archive records are used is WeeWx since the source code is available. WeeWx uploads archive records at the frequency you set - in older versions it had to match the logger interval, but in more recent versions it's not required - IIRC it repeats the last record. This might answer one of your questions.

PaulMy noted that the still most used Cumulus version, never uses LOOP (LOOP2 more precisely) data.

I don't know anything about the WL software, I've never used it. WU, PWS, Awekas, WOW etc. expect a record in the format defined by their own API. They have no means to check how they're generated, and most likely they don't care; but they support existing proven methods, which mostly mean supporting some existing software.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
PaulMy noted that the still most used Cumulus version, never uses LOOP (LOOP2 more precisely) data.

I find that difficult to believe - there's a lot of readings in LOOP that are missing in LOOP2 like many of the supplementary sensor readings. While there is some overlap, LOOP2 is more of a supplement to LOOP - LOOP2 includes several extra values but also omits several (has to really, since they're both 99-byte packets). I always imagined that Cumulus (or maybe CMX) polls for LOOP and LOOP2. But I've never had cause to look into it in detail.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2018, 04:51:49 PM by johnd »
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline kobuki

• Forecaster
LOOP(2) might miss values but the archive record (DMP/DMPAFT in the serial protocol docs) has them, like additional temp and humidity sensor data.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
I find that difficult to believe - there's a lot of readings in LOOP that are missing in LOOP2 like many of the supplementary sensor readings. I always imagined that Cumulus (or maybe CMX) polls for LOOP and LOOP2. But I've never had cause to look into it in detail.
Far from my understanding how it all works but from what I have read Cumulus1 uses the Davis DLL and some of LOOP1.  But LOOP2 use was introduced with CumulusMX.

With auto pause cooperating won't be a problem any more. It works perfectly good. Much better I was suspecting.
Looking forward to trying that with CumulusMX.

Paul

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
LOOP(2) might miss values but the archive record (DMP/DMPAFT in the serial protocol docs) has them, like additional temp and humidity sensor data.

Um, yes but aren't we talking about a whole bunch of different things here and I think they're in danger of getting mixed up. Current conditions uploads may typically be uploaded eg every minute, if not more often, whereas new archive records will be generated with 5 or 10 minutes as a commonly-used interval. This needs a much longer post to really nail down.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline UZA_Dave

For PWS, do I use my user ID or station ID?

Thanks,

David

Offline WiFiLogger

• Forecaster

Hi David
For PWS and WU you are using Station ID, but password is same which you are using to login to those services.
I will change those descriptions with new firmware release.

Offline UZA_Dave

Hi David
For PWS and WU you are using Station ID, but password is same which you are using to login to those services.
I will change those descriptions with new firmware release.

Thank you.

anything