Author Topic: UV and radiation  (Read 5493 times)

Offline alhamilton

• http://alhamilton.us
UV and radiation
« on: October 01, 2007, 10:13:49 AM »
Davis 6152C vs Davis 6162C ?
OK its down to the VP2 or the VP2 Pro with UV and radiation. Ambient has them priced at $332.95 and $645. What advantage is it to spend over $300 for the UV and radiation. I don't understand the need, but don't want to miss out on an important capability.
al
al hamilton

Offline NoQuitters

• Forecaster
  • W0DLJ - 145.470
    • Overland Park Weather
Re: UV and radiation
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 10:30:57 AM »
I don't understand the need, but don't want to miss out on an important capability

The need is basically up to you. It's just that much more capability your station has and that much more you can offer to visitors of your web site. If you are at all interested in the extra sensors make sure you get them when you purchase your station. They are considerably higher to add later. Just keep telling yourself, it's only money. :wink:

Offline WeatherBeacon

• Chief
  • Forecaster
    • http://www.wxbeacon.com
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 04:48:49 PM »
Quote from: "NoQuitters"
I don't understand the need, but don't want to miss out on an important capability

The need is basically up to you. It's just that much more capability your station has and that much more you can offer to visitors of your web site. If you are at all interested in the extra sensors make sure you get them when you purchase your station. They are considerably higher to add later. Just keep telling yourself, it's only money. :wink:

I don't have the radiation or UV sensors, but you might want to ask the forum members about their reliability. It seems that I recall reading some complaints that those sensors might not have a long life. You might want to check around the forum or simply post the question here.

Regards,

Kevin...
Mae govannen!
Kevin  (Member AMS) http://www.wxbeacon.com               Genesee County, Michigan
Hardware:  Davis Vantage Pro Wireless, Midland WR-300
Software: VWS 14.01p43, WeatherFlash, & GRLevel3

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 06:33:39 PM »
My UV and Solar sensors are 4 years old and still going strong.
No 3+ UVI reading at midnight here.  :D

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 06:34:56 PM »
I've been running a post-purchase addon UV/Solar sensors on my Davis VP1 for about a year and a half.  Except for washing off the occasional bird dropping, they've been working fine.

It's MUCH cheaper to buy them up front (as part of the VP2+ config).  Even using ProVantage (least expensive sensor price available then), it was >$100 more to add it on later.

I recommend getting them both.  The UV sensor is great and helps your site warn about excessive sun exposure in your area.

The Solar sensor (with Weather-Display) can use the W/m2 observed v.s. W/m2 predicted to estimate cloud cover.

I use both functions with WD on my site.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 06:41:43 PM »
The Davis console uses solar radiation along with wind speed, temp, RH, and BP to calculate evapotranspiration (ET). I had a client have me order and install a VP2 without the UV and Solar.

Then he found out that he wanted ET. By the time I ordered the sensor shelf and the just the solar sensor, and charged him for installation, he'd spent enough that he could have bought both of the sensors up front.

Offline glorfindeal

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 05:45:47 AM »

I don't have the radiation or UV sensors, but you might want to ask the forum members about their reliability. It seems that I recall reading some complaints that those sensors might not have a long life. You might want to check around the forum or simply post the question here.

Regards,

Kevin...

I've had my old vantage pro since release in 2001 and the solar/uv sensors are still working perfectly.  I just retired it in favor of the new vantage pro 2.

Glor

Offline alhamilton

• http://alhamilton.us
Purchase
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 11:47:35 AM »
OK, you all have convinced me. I bot the Davis VP2 Pro 5162c yesterday and will have a lot of questions next week when it arrives. First question, does the Davis supplied software meet the requirements for a quality station?
al
al hamilton

Offline saratogaWX

• Administrator
  • Forecaster
  • Saratoga, CA, USA Weather - free PHP scripts
    • Saratoga-Weather.org
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 11:58:39 AM »
If you mean WeatherLink (which comes with the hardware logger), then Yes, it does a fine job of logging conditions, creating NOAA-style climate reports, and allowing upload of conditions to CWOP, WeatherUnderground, and your own weather website.

Others have found that it takes more than one weather program to produce the results you may want.  For example, near-realtime weather conditions reporting is available with either Weather-Display or Virtual Weather Station.

A comparison of the software available and features/pros-cons is available here on the Software Reviews section.  For a start, WeatherLink is a good base.  To run multiple station software from the Davis Vantag Pro2 console, I highly recommend using VirtualVP (which allows up to 4 weather programs to interface with the console).  I use it (along with StartWatch) to run WeatherLink, Weather-Display and VWS all at the same time from my VP1+ console.

Best regards,
Ken
Ken True/Saratoga, CA, USA main site: saratoga-weather.org
Davis VP1+ FARS, Blitzortung RED, GRLevel3, WD, WL, VWS, Cumulus, Meteobridge
Free weather PHP scripts/website templates - update notifications on Twitter saratogaWXPHP

anything