Author Topic: Jobs in meteorology  (Read 2534 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Jobs in meteorology
« on: September 02, 2016, 01:45:11 PM »
Not that I would currently consider it (I want to finish my PhD first), but I was just curious and looked for job opportunities as a meteorologist/climatologist or even a programmer if I fulfilled the requirements.

However I found a major obstacle. In basically all cases, I read the very first requirement and I could immediately reject it - "Must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply". Now, my question is, if I ever consider working abroad and consider the U.S. and Canada as well, is there any chance of getting a job at all if you are not a US/CA citizen? Obviously this is not something you can "learn" so if thats the case it would mean I would never even look into that option in the future.

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
    • Northwest Arkansas Weather.com
Re: Jobs in meteorology
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2016, 01:54:53 PM »
Not that I would currently consider it (I want to finish my PhD first), but I was just curious and looked for job opportunities as a meteorologist/climatologist or even a programmer if I fulfilled the requirements.

However I found a major obstacle. In basically all cases, I read the very first requirement and I could immediately reject it - "Must be a U.S. Citizen or National to apply". Now, my question is, if I ever consider working abroad and consider the U.S. and Canada as well, is there any chance of getting a job at all if you are not a US/CA citizen? Obviously this is not something you can "learn" so if thats the case it would mean I would never even look into that option in the future.

I don't know Jáchym, but a good question. The real question in the "short-term" could be answered November 8th, here in the U.S.A.

tbrasel
Best Regards
tbrasel

Bentonville Arkansas, USA
Hardware: Davis 6153 - Wireless Vantage Pro2 with FARS
Software: VWS V15.00

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:59:34 PM »

I don't know Jáchym, but a good question. The real question in the "short-term" could be answered November 8th, here in the U.S.A.

tbrasel

Yes, I see what you mean :D

If the problem was qualifications, skills or language, it is something one can always work on, but this is obviously a major problem.... and I bet you can get "some" jobs and live there for a few years to get American/Canadian visa, but I really don´t feel like working in a fastfood for several years just to get that...

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2016, 02:05:30 PM »

tbrasel

Yes, I see what you mean :D

If the problem was qualifications, skills or language, it is something one can always work on, but this is obviously a major problem.... and I bet you can get "some" jobs and live there for a few years to get American/Canadian visa, but I really don´t feel like working in a fastfood for several years just to get that...

I don't know about fast food? A sweet lady works just across the office from me, she is from Spain, here on a Visa & she has a similar job as you are referencing & trust me, she has not worked at fast food. She is just an angel and we are blessed to know and work with her.
Best Regards
tbrasel

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 02:12:49 PM »
is there any chance of getting a job at all if you are not a US/CA citizen?
Permanent residency would be required, not necessarily a citizen as that couldn't happen before 5 years of residency.

As far as job opportunity, with the right skills and job openings that is possible.  We hear stories of immigrants with skills and degrees not getting a job in their field and working as taxi drivers, etc. but that is mostly due to their degree/professional accreditation/internship not meeting the Canadian standard yet.

Paul

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 02:24:03 PM »
In the US I believe what your talking about is a work visa.

Many US companies hire people with the right skills from around the world.

Take a look at this link Temporary Worker Visas
Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2016, 02:33:20 PM »
In the US, the NWS falls under NOAA, which is part of the federal government. As such, being a US citizen is required except in very particular (read difficult) circumstances. When I became a fed with the DOT, I had to take an oath to protect the Constitution of the United States, and I would assume NOAA folks do to.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2016, 02:47:36 PM »
Now, my question is, if I ever consider working abroad and consider the U.S. and Canada as well, is there any chance of getting a job at all if you are not a US/CA citizen?

NOAA/NWS and Environment Canada are government agencies, so it's normal for them to require citizenship.  Some positions may also require security clearances.

Private Met services or media may have their own requirements in addition to be allowed to work in either country.

Aren't the UK and French Met services also government?

And I'm still working on how to spell PhD.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 03:52:12 PM »
... and Environment Canada are government agencies, so it's normal for them to require citizenship.
It could be but I am not aware that is a requirement and suspect that is not the case. 

There are other meteorologist jobs outside of government, i.e. private weather services, TV, and in some industry.
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/eng/qc/job_futures/statistics/2114.shtml

Paul

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2016, 06:52:13 PM »
Thanks a lot to all of you guys for the information.

As I said, it is not something I am currently dealing with, however, I do feel more and more that I will potentially want to go working abroad and my requirements would then probably be just two things - it has to be a larger city (I have always lived in a large city and I cannot imagine living on the countryside... at least not until I retire, which is not any time soon :D) and the other requirement would be English as an official language (or Czech, but that probably wouldnt be much useful if I want to go abroad :D, French and German Im not so confident about).

So basically the options would theoretically be the U.S., Canada, Australia/New Zealand, or the few places like Singapore.

I have a friend who just got a working visa in the U.S., but he was in a slightly different situation. He moved there right after finishing school and he worked 3.5 years in a hotel, cleaning etc. During that time he learned English and he then finally can now look for a better job.

However, if I finish my PhD in let's say 2-3 years, I will be 31 by then and at this age and with a PhD degree, I really probably would not consider any sort of job like that, Im not saying these are "bad jobs" and I appreciate peole doing them, I just feel like I need to do something that will give me more satisfaction than this.  (Btw. dont worry, I did go through that too :D When I was still a student I did work in McDonalds and similar and it was not bad, but I would not want to do it again :D)-

I think you more or less proved what I already thought, it is not that easy and not just about skills and qualifications, there are also legal barriers, especially if you wanted to work for a government owned company. Probably the best thing is when you get an offer directly, so the question then is how to get that :D

I will see... still plenty of time to decide if at all I want to go abroad and if, then what exactly I would want to do... I majored in biology, I currently do meteorology and I also spend almost all my free time now with IT related stuff...

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2016, 06:59:23 PM »
or the few places like Singapore.

I would STRONGLY discourage that choice for reasons we can't really go into here.  Let's just say it's a powder keg getting ready to explode in a very bad way.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »
Singapore seems highly attractive when I see the photos etc. Im also a big fan of modern architecture and Singapore is probably one of the best places to live in in this perspective, also it really is a large town :D

But the main problem there would also be the fact that vast majority of jobs there are economy-related, which is not something Im interested in or know.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2016, 07:28:05 PM »
Singapore seems highly attractive when I see the photos etc. Im also a big fan of modern architecture and Singapore is probably one of the best places to live in in this perspective, also it really is a large town :D

But the main problem there would also be the fact that vast majority of jobs there are economy-related, which is not something Im interested in or know.

It's also highly restrictive with a government that is near Dictatorial and where you go to jail (or worse)  for saying or doing innocent things that 'offend' others.  It is a highly dangerous place.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 07:30:58 PM »
Well I dont necessarily think it is dangerous, there are some strict rules, for example I know that spitting out a chewing gum results in a very high fine, but I think it is more of a business center with not many science related job opportunities. But I cannot tell, I have never been there, my friends were however and they told me about it.

Offline tbrasel

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 07:49:13 PM »
so the question then is how to get that

I been working for the government exactly as you are old.  :shock:  I think the lady mentioned above did it by "networking". Sadly, fortunately or whatever the case maybe, I still having 17 more years to go be getting close to the balloon which will burst as I arrive, (so) called Social Security here in the USA
Best Regards
tbrasel

Offline SpringHillWeather

• Weather Hobbyist
  • Forecaster
  • Spring Hill, Florida
    • Spring Hill
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2016, 07:50:24 PM »
or even a programmer if I fulfilled the requirements.

You may want to try that angle, many Global companies need good programmers.  Get a programming job and then transfer to the states where you can enjoy your hobby as a Meteorologist.   I think Programmers make more money than Meteorologist's?

Saratoga
HomeWeatherStation
Meteotemplate
Homebrew
Ambient 1001 | ObserverIP | Meteobridge | MeteoPlug

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2016, 08:19:19 PM »
Yes indeed but I am not a programmer and not even close to it,  meteotemplate is just my amateur hobby and my it knowledge is definitely not at the level it would need to be

Offline Sooner Al

• Old enough to know better...
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2016, 07:44:40 AM »
FWIW here is a rather long list of private weather companies in the US. You might check some of the websites for employment information and qualifications. I'm not sure how current this list is however.

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/im/metdir.htm
Retired NWS ESA/ET
Sys: Davis VP2 (Wireless)

anything