Author Topic: Colorado and Texas  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Billl

Colorado and Texas
« on: June 25, 2014, 01:01:10 AM »
Hello!

I'm an RF engineer, pilot, and weather nut who just came across this project as part of the recent media exposure.  I've sent a couple of initial e-mails to Egon and Tobias but I'm very excited about what you guys are doing and am planning on getting two stations on order - one for Colorado and one for Texas.

I'm particularly excited for the Colorado station as I have a nice, quiet area (from an RF perspective) to place it.

No questions right now, just wanted to say hi.

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
Re: Colorado and Texas
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 06:34:47 AM »
Welcome Bill from SW Ohio!!!

Glad to see another weather nut join the forum.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline Dr Obbins

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 06:40:27 AM »
Hello and I hope your experience here is enlightning!

Offline corwyyn

• Forecaster
  • Far, far east Mesa, AZ
    • Sleeping Saguaros Weather  Mesa, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 07:09:45 AM »
#-o You couldn't wait until I was asleep to pull that one out?!?  :-P

Welcome Billl, hope you get both stations up and running soon!
Kevin
AD5VG
Blitzortung station 1042

Offline jmcmurry

• Jim McMurry
  • Forecaster
  • Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus Wireless.
    • Juneau County Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 07:37:13 AM »
Welcome and can you say where in Colorado & Texas you'll be siting them? 

As you may know, Egon goes on vacation soon so don't delay your order too long.

- Jim

Forum Search and Google Can be Your Best Friends

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 08:06:14 AM »
Welcome from Benton, AR.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 08:38:57 AM »
Perfect. There used to be an old "green" station in Colorado, but it went offline a while ago. Your stations will be a welcome addition to the Blitzortung network.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 09:49:18 AM »
Welcome from Kentucky!  If you've been Blitz Bugged you'll not rest until you get online.  This is a real trip, and those two stations will really help fill a thin Western line... we'll get these strokes surrounded....No Mercy.
My two 'kids' are in Ft. Collins, with nieces, nephews, grand n&n's, etc on front range in and around Denver.
Mike

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 10:42:29 AM »
Welcome aboard Bill!

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:29 AM »
Welcome!  Definitely need more coverage in the Plains :)

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 11:19:34 AM »
Welcome from Nevada! I hope you understand what you are getting yourself into with this hobby - many nights of little or no sleep as you twist and turn those knobs and dials making your equipment sing perfectly...  :twisted:

As an RF engineer, you may be able to add a lot to the knowledge base on this forum. We're always looking for "experts" and RF is one area that could really help us learn about the subtleties of the subject.

As has already been mentioned, if you are going to place an order for one or more RED systems, you should do it quickly as the Blitzortung group will be taking a break after July 7th and not filling any orders or answering emails for a couple weeks after that date.

Good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Billl

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 12:37:54 PM »

I'm shocked that you didn't think I'd bolt at that thunderous pun!  :grin:

Thank you all for the kind welcome!  I'm just waiting to hear back from Egon and plan on getting an order in within the next couple of days.

...Thinking way down the road (as this isn't something I'd have time to work in 2014), I wonder if it'd be possible to get a grant from NOAA or the NWS and then work with the Forest Service to place a handful of detectors along the continental divide (say one each in NM, CO, WY, and MT) - get them up high and have truly spectacular coverage.  While I'm sure connectivity would be the biggest issue, I'm be willing to bet that with enough effort we could locate sites on the divide that already have an internet connection and collocate our equipment there.

Offline fpalafox

• Hermosillo Weather
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2014, 12:43:46 PM »
Welcome from Hermosillo, Mexico. The region 3 is growing very fast! Very nice!
Wunderground: ISONORAH5
CWOP: CW2548
AWEKAS: 7184
Blitzortung: 1023 Hermosillo,Mex
www.climason.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2014, 02:51:13 PM »

Thank you all for the kind welcome!  I'm just waiting to hear back from Egon and plan on getting an order in within the next couple of days.

...Thinking way down the road (as this isn't something I'd have time to work in 2014), I wonder if it'd be possible to get a grant from NOAA or the NWS and then work with the Forest Service to place a handful of detectors along the continental divide (say one each in NM, CO, WY, and MT) - get them up high and have truly spectacular coverage.  While I'm sure connectivity would be the biggest issue, I'm be willing to bet that with enough effort we could locate sites on the divide that already have an internet connection and collocate our equipment there.

Well, I don't know about anyone else but, I absolutely do not want the government involved in this project in any way, shape or form! Sorry to be so blunt but this is supposed to be a HOBBY and for FUN, not held or controlled by anyone outside of the developers and engineers who have developed this marvelous system. Egon himself has very clearly stated this is a "hobby and for fun" and it has no commercial implications at all.

Additionally, based on what we are seeing with the existing detection methods, you do not need to be located in high places. The signals being detected here are VLF E-fields and H-field magnetic waves and thus, not impacted so much by location or altitude.

Sorry for the bluntness but I don't want to see this effort ruined with good intentions...
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7

Offline JonathanW

• Engineer
  • Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2014, 03:09:04 PM »

Well, I don't know about anyone else but, I absolutely do not want the government involved in this project in any way, shape or form! Sorry to be so blunt but this is supposed to be a HOBBY and for FUN, not held or controlled by anyone outside of the developers and engineers who have developed this marvelous system. Egon himself has very clearly stated this is a "hobby and for fun" and it has no commercial implications at all.

Additionally, based on what we are seeing with the existing detection methods, you do not need to be located in high places. The signals being detected here are VLF E-fields and H-field magnetic waves and thus, not impacted so much by location or altitude.

Sorry for the bluntness but I don't want to see this effort ruined with good intentions...

I don't think a grant has to come with strings attached, particularly from NOAA or Forestry.  However, if either entity wanted to make use of the data, while that would be very cool there might be reliability requirements that could, indeed, change the nature of the project.

Offline Billl

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2014, 03:10:37 PM »

No worries and I don't take offense to any of that.  As you know, I'm new to the project and am still learning it's history and intentions...

That said, I agree with N0YM.  Often in cases like this where the data generated could have positive public safety implications agencies like NOAA have funded expansions of systems without asking for any control over design, implementation, or management of the system itself.  Obviously the spirit and intention of both the project and Egon come first but it would be premature to say that it could never happen or that an agency like NOAA or Forestry wouldn't simply fund an expansion of the system with absolutely no strings attached.

Still, this is a discussion that can be held much further down the road.  I'm new here and don't want to start a flame war on day 1!  #-o
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:42:18 PM by Billl »

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2014, 03:31:01 PM »
We must not forget that this is not a US-based project. We are simply members of a hobby-group and have been granted the privilege of participating in the efforts by supplying data to the community as a whole. The Blitzortung developers are very clear about this being a non-commercial endeavor and are thus, strictly controlling who can and who cannot have access to the raw data as well as how it is used.

New and old members alike, we all have a lot more to learn and gain from this project. I can only imagine what the future will bring with the talent that appears to be involved. The developers have hinted there are a lot more surprises to come. I can hardly hold my breath to see what they have in store for us! I'm really enjoying the ride, so far - it's been a lot of fun.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:33:06 PM by W3DRM »

anything