Author Topic: Acurite PC connect consoles supported?  (Read 2345 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Acurite PC connect consoles supported?
« on: September 28, 2018, 01:22:40 PM »
I know the black and white models are supported, but are any of the color PC connect consoles like the 1036M model or the 2064?

Thanks... Looking to replace a failed 5n1 possibly and use PC connect since the smarthub is obsolete, and I don't have one anymore. I have another brand of weather station, and it is beginning to fail as well due to the hurricane, so looking for a complete replacement to report online.

Offline SkellyCA

Re: Acurite PC connect consoles supported?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 03:30:39 PM »
Go with the Atlas. You can get a full bundle on Amazon right now for about $253. It comes with the Atlas, the display, the Access(upgrade to the smart hub) and the lightning detector.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up to much room.

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 03:47:27 PM »
Go with the Atlas. You can get a full bundle on Amazon right now for about $253. It comes with the Atlas, the display, the Access(upgrade to the smart hub) and the lightning detector.
I have an Atlas, it doesn't upload to all the weather sites, and is non compatible with meteobridge.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 06:08:54 AM »
So far the ATLAS/ACCESS solution does AFAIK not provide any weather data to the LAN. So neither Meteobridge nor any orther PC program can get data directly from it. Only possible ways are reading data from their cloud service (slow updated, risk of being unreliable) or by DNS spoofing and reading traffic by a man-in-the-middle attack, which is quite an overkill and needs severe networking skills.

Meteobridge does support some of the older USB enabled consoles. I can't say if the ones you reference will be supported, as I can't buy those here in Germany.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 08:37:25 AM by docbee »
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 08:21:15 AM »
I have seen a report somewhere that this model... https://www.acurite.com/color-weather-station-display-pc-connect-5-in-1-weather-sensors.html

is supported, but I thought I should verify, since you can't believe everything you read online, and I only found one report of it.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 09:01:42 AM »
So far the ATLAS/ACCESS solution does AFAIK not provide any weather data to the LAN. So neither Meteobridge nor any orther PC program can get data directly from it. Only possible ways are reading data from their cloud service (slow updated, risk of being unreliable) or by DNS spoofing and reading traffic by a man-in-the-middle attack, which is quite an overkill and needs severe networking skills.

The Access hub apparently still uses an ethernet port, which can be connected to MB just like the old smartHub.  The rapid-fire data stream to WU should be MitM-readable from there, although it probably would not be as elegant as being able to pick out individual sensors like the old bridge used to support.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:32:54 AM »

The Access hub apparently still uses an ethernet port, which can be connected to MB just like the old smartHub.  The rapid-fire data stream to WU should be MitM-readable from there, although it probably would not be as elegant as being able to pick out individual sensors like the old bridge used to support.....

Yep, and as long as you can bridge a network connection, DNS spoofing isn't necessary.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »
Thanks for the update. How often does the Access hub report to WU? Does it do rapid fire? Having wind data updates just every couple of minutes will not please the Meteobridge audience ;-)

IMHO best is to avoid to buy this lock-in stuff and by that to force Acurite to rethink their approach. I am totally sure that they will shut down their current cloud service in a few years again, to build something incompatible new that forces the users to buy the next generation weather hw. This worked so great in the current transition and the users seem to accept this.  ](*,)
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 06:19:11 PM »
Thanks for the update. How often does the Access hub report to WU? Does it do rapid fire? Having wind data updates just every couple of minutes will not please the Meteobridge audience ;-)

The Access reports data to wunderground as fast as the sensor can support.  In the Atlas case it is every 10 seconds.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 08:53:28 PM »
IMHO best is to avoid to buy this lock-in stuff and by that to force Acurite to rethink their approach. I am totally sure that they will shut down their current cloud service in a few years again, to build something incompatible new that forces the users to buy the next generation weather hw. This worked so great in the current transition and the users seem to accept this.  ](*,)

Boris,
I totally agree. People should vote with their wallet.
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 08:59:23 PM »

Boris,

People should refrain from posting about things they don't understand.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:18:53 PM »
People should avoid listening to paid shills/ fanboys who don't understand open data and consumer choice.  (You do know who Docbee is, right?  And the cool stuff  he's done?)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 09:27:10 PM »
People should avoid listening to paid shills/ fanboys who don't understand open data and consumer choice.  (You do know who Docbee is, right?  And the cool stuff  he's done?)

Yes, Bushman.  I know who Docbee is and what he has done.

It's good there are alternatives to his product that are free and open source.

Now, to you, Bushman.  You really want to get into it calling me a "paid shill fanboy"?  I've got some choice names I could use to describe you, too.

This is getting really tiresome.

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 10:07:05 PM »

Boris,

So we've heard, again and again and again. No one here understands anything but YOU. Please, help us all understand and we'll gladly leave you alone.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 10:35:30 PM »

Boris,

So we've heard, again and again and again. No one here understands anything but YOU. Please, help us all understand and we'll gladly leave you alone.

Yes, it's pretty clear that I'm the only one who understands.   The malicious claims of "lock-in" are complete BS.

Just like the Smarthub, you can monitor the network on the Access.  What goes to myAcurite is encrypted, but then it was found that they weren't enforcing signatures, so you can still monitor the traffic with some more effort.

Acurite has taken a lot of heat for NOT encrypting data on the SmartHUB.  Some users have been demanding it.  But once they start doing it, another group complains about "lock-in".  So what's it going to be? 

What we have now is a middle-ground.  Encryption for those that demand it, but still open enough to use for the hobbyist.

Is there something so wrong with that?

If Boris or anyone else wants to make a deal with Acurite for official Access support, he can do that.  Acurite has done that in the past with other outside vendors.

Of course, his agreement with Ambient might stand in the way.  Business is business, after all.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2018, 12:07:55 AM »

Now, to you, Bushman.  You really want to get into it calling me a "paid shill fanboy"?  I've got some choice names I could use to describe you, too.

Real simple question Georgie - are you paid or do you receive free stuff from Chaney? A binary question so a yes or no will do.  I get NOTHING from Davis.  So what do you get from trying to wear down criticism of Acurite?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2018, 12:09:46 AM »

Boris,

Acurite has taken a lot of heat for NOT encrypting data on the SmartHUB.  Some users have been demanding it.  But once they start doing it, another group complains about "lock-in".  So what's it going to be? 

At the risk of pointing out the obvious. a simple check box would have fixed this for both camps.  Of course there is no money it for them or you, so that option is not allowed.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2018, 12:22:52 AM »

Real simple question Georgie - are you paid or do you receive free stuff from Chaney? A binary question so a yes or no will do.  I get NOTHING from Davis.  So what do you get from trying to wear down criticism of Acurite?

How cute.

I do not work for Acurite.  I've stated that numerous times.  I do get test equipment from them LIKE ALL THE OTHER TESTERS NUMBERING IN THE HUNDREDS.

I also get test equipment from other companies.  Don't you?

So what's your major malfunction, Bushie?   

Is it because you were recommended for the beta program, but you blew it by being obnoxious?

Is that why you feel you must lie and attack me?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:50:46 AM by nincehelser »

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2018, 12:25:09 AM »
At the risk of pointing out the obvious. a simple check box would have fixed this for both camps.  Of course there is no money it for them or you, so that option is not allowed.

Or it's just not that hard for a hobbyist to do in the first place.

And as for "money for me", there isn't any anyway, Bushboy.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:48:31 AM by nincehelser »

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2018, 08:43:14 AM »
If I could delete the last several comments, I would. Please take this nonsense elsewhere from this topic. There is a "chitchat" section in case you didn't know.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2018, 05:41:54 PM »
I spare my breath to make it not even more personal, as what could a person like me (telling BS, having no clue, being somehow badly bound to ambientweather, etc) bring forward to convince Acurite evangelists that this stuff has serious drawbacks.

What I have learned is that the CONNECT is updating WU in short intervals. As a result Meteobridge and other local solutions can in theory grab the data as painful as with the ACULINK.

At least some useful information at the end (if it is true) and time to close the thread.

anything