Author Topic: Question about how VWS updates files to the web  (Read 1571 times)

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
Question about how VWS updates files to the web
« on: June 13, 2015, 01:28:06 PM »
Pretty sure someone out there knows how VWS works with the internet.
If I understand correctly, USA.htx updates Index.htm.  And, I assume that when VWS connects to my web server, it over writes the existing files with new current readings from my weather station.  Is that correct?
The reason for my question is that the current readings are not being updated while all the weather map links are working just fine.  I'm still trying to determine why and hope that zeroing in on the files that update one another will solve this problem.
Thanks,
-gene
Geno

Davis 6323 Wireless Vantage Pro2 ISS
with 24-Hr Fan Aspirated Radiation Shield and Aerocone
VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
Re: Question about how VWS updates files to the web
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 05:06:13 PM »
I do use VWS but not the templates it generates.  If I recall you setup VWS in HTML setting to create your index.html (or php) file from the USA.htx.  You will then need to upload (FTP) the index file to your web site.

On the left side of the HTML Settings is where you identify the USA.htm file and the right side the new index file.  Set the update timer to schedule when the files should be undated.

Then use the FTP Upload - either file or folder depending on your set up, to send the file to your site.

i think that is how it is done.

CW3699

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 05:26:34 PM »
The htx file such as USA.HTX for the USA VWS template is processed by VWS and then, if you have it setup in a standard way, that process creates an INDEX.HTM file which is then uploaded via the VWS FTP handler to your website which overwrites the existing index.htm file on your server.

Simply put, the HTX file is the template file containing all of the VWS tags and links you want to display on your website. VWS inserts the data it receives from the weather station into the appropriate weather tag positions as dictated by the HTX template and outputs the results in the index.htm file. VWS then will upload that new index.htm file to the server at whatever schedule you have set up for that particular file.

If you aren't seeing the updated files on your server, I would first setup VWS to report all errors in a log file. You do that through the VWS menu item Internet and show stats. I'm not in front of my WX computer at the moment and don't remember the exact settings but the instructions are in the VWS manual. If you don't find any errors check the settings to be certain you really are uploading the desired file to your server.

While a bit convoluted, VWS does do things in a pretty straight-forward manner. Understanding the flow of things helps tremendously when troubleshooting.

Good luck!
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 08:07:02 AM »
Thanks to all who offered suggestions.
First, yes -- this is a new issue.  It started when I moved from Atlanta to FL and tried to restart my weather program with a few geographical updates.
As mentioned, I can see VWS log on to my server and upload files.  I just can't figure why the "current readings" are not being changed on my web page.
I'm going to do as directed and check the error log page.  Never knew that existed.
Will check in later with and update -- perhaps giving you guys more to go on in order to help me solve this issue.

Thank you all,
Gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 08:46:12 AM »
In version 15.00 p03 you setup the error log from the Help menu, Internet Status, Internet Log file.  The small folder icon opens the log file itself.

Please do check back with a status update.

CW3699

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 03:08:34 PM »
During the upload process, I see the following being sent to my server:
  • index.htm
    wx,htm
    details.htm
    daily.htm
and, of course all the jpeg files that go along with the program.
interestingly, I can preview the index.htm file on my c:/ drive and see that it is being updated by the usa.htx file
I just can't figure why it's not overwriting the index.htm file on my server
The only changes I made were to the usa.htx file to identify my new location and put in a new header.
This is the most frustrating thing I've experienced lately.  I may have to change to a new program all together.  My hesitation is that I'm not a programmer and I learned enough html code to become dangerous!
Any suggestions on new software to replace VWS?  As you'll notice from my site -- I really like maps and link to a number of them. 
Thanks for your continued support.
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 03:16:01 PM »
Gene, your page shows a current temperature of 95.5 @ 1:29 p.m. June 14.  OTehr weather sources are showing a temp for the local area ust about the same - e.g. WU 94.3, AccuWeather 93.

it looks like your page is current?

CW3699

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »
Hey Paul,
While the temp seems correct -- it's really hot here -- check the clock.  It's stuck at 5:14 and it's currently 5:57!  My program updates my web page every 2 minutes.
I decided to put the system on my desktop computer (where it used to be) instead of a dedicated laptop to see if I could resolve the problem.  It still persists.
My next step is to contact the server folks at inMotion and see if they can see why my page is not being updated.
Will keep you posted.
Thanks for checking in,
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2015, 04:07:42 AM »
Hi Gene, what is the schedule interval for VWS to updating the htx file that creates the index file?  I know you said the upload is every 2 minutes - was wondering about the actual creation of the index file from the htx.

CW3699

Offline geno

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2015, 04:30:37 PM »
Hey Hey Hey -- we're back online!
All files were being uploaded to the wrong folder on my server.  Not sure how that happened since I didn't make any changes to that part of the program.
Thanks for all the help.
Looking for a nice 7-day forecast for my area (Pine Ridge, FL or Beverly Hills, FL) that I could display rather than having the user click on a link.
-gene
Geno

VWS 15.0  p03
www.genesweather.info

Offline Otis

• (aka Paul)
  • Forecaster
    • Lake Huron Weather
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2015, 04:37:18 PM »