Author Topic: Meteotemplate - new free website template  (Read 629764 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: Meteotemplate - new free website template
« Reply #6400 on: March 29, 2017, 01:56:46 PM »
I get DNS error when I try that link - Im about to leave to part-time job, I will look at it when I get back, but you need to provide functional URL

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #6401 on: March 29, 2017, 02:06:22 PM »
Juan,

It looks like you don't have a google maps API.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline Juan Maria Vilaro

• Contributor
« Reply #6402 on: March 29, 2017, 02:18:21 PM »
Ok thanks a lot, solved

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6403 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:10 PM »
TY Jay

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Block Update - Astro Events 3.0
« Reply #6404 on: March 30, 2017, 08:00:25 AM »
Block Update - Astro Events 3.0

Hi guys,
I added possibility to add block heading.

Enjoy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Pollen Calendar
« Reply #6405 on: March 30, 2017, 08:02:54 AM »
Hi guys,

thanks to all of you who have suggested links and sources for other countries for the pollen calendar. I will try to add them, but it might take some time as it takes relatively long because each data source comes in a different format and has to be coded differently.

For Northern hemisphere pollen will soon be an issue so I will concentrate on this now.

Meanwhile I continue working on v14, which is still far away, but Im gradually adding new features and improvements, also based on your tips from the January questionnaire.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Cumulus users - important
« Reply #6406 on: March 30, 2017, 11:22:10 AM »
Hi guys,

as part of preparations for v14 I want to optimize and make the update script even better.

I am now in the process of optimizing the parsing of realtime.txt for Cumulus and we have a problem, which Im not sure how to solve - because there is no clear right or wrong answer.

So, in realtime.txt are these three parameters:

- wind speed average
- latest wind speed
- 10min wind gust

MT database includes 2 parameters - wind speed average and max wind gust for each interval.

Problem No.1:
Wind speed average
Here we have two options. Option one is to always cache the "wind speed average" parameter and then save avg of this to the db as wind speed average. This looks straight forward, but it in fact isn´t so. The db value would in such case be exactly the avg. However, the API does two things, it saves the parsed values to cache (and after 5 minutes uses this to update the db) and in addition, it saves currently parsed values into the file that includes the "current conditions". So we have to choose now. If I take the "wind speed avg", then the avg in the db will be spot on (it will be average of the averages in the cache), but your current value would correspond to the 1-min average, not the latest. Alternatively, I can use the latest wind parameter and in such case, the live conditions file would include the real latest value, but the average saved to db would not be average of averages, but average of the latest saved at the time of each execution of the api script.

Problem No.2:
What do we do with the gust.... cumulus does not send 5min max wind, but this is the interval in the db. So again we have two options:
First option is to cache the averages/latest values and then after 5 min save maximum of those values into the db as G. This of course creates a problem because if the gust occurs in between the interval at which you run the update CRON, it would not be registered. Theoretically you could overcome by setting the CRON update times to something very short in which case every realtime would be read by the api before being overwritten by another one.
Second option is to take the 10min max gust. This would ensure that the maximum value is registered - BUT - it would mean that this value would be duplicated in the db, because since the updates are at 5min intervals, the 10min max gust will be the same for both.

You have to tell me what you prefer.... obviously no matter what we choose it will be a compromise, but unfortunately this is the best we can do unless realtime.txt is changed or Cumulus sends data directly to the API - which is also not an option currently.

Offline Didiersm

Web provider?
« Reply #6407 on: March 31, 2017, 01:48:08 AM »
 Hi,
Jachim advised me to post here regarding my search. Specially For the French guys, I'm looking for a cheap web provider to start my tests with MeteoTemplate. I'm currently to "free.fr" but the "Curl" is not present.
Thanks for your answers.

Didier
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:16:55 AM by Didiersm »

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Block Update – NWS Forecast 4.0
« Reply #6408 on: March 31, 2017, 06:34:57 AM »
Block Update – NWS Forecast 4.0

Hi guys,

- added time of forecast update
- added period of forecast validity
- fixed a bug with caching

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoWide.php?block=nwsForecast

Enjoy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Plugin Update – Pollen Calendar 3.0
« Reply #6409 on: March 31, 2017, 08:12:20 AM »
Plugin Update – Pollen Calendar 3.0

Hi guys,

you will have to bear with me, this one takes a lot of time to do because each country requires completely different script. Here is another batch of new countries and more will come later.

Added:
- Belgium
- Germany
- Switzerland – available in German, Italian, French and English depending on your template language settings
- Norway
- Sweden

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/plugins/pollenCalendar/index.php

Enjoy

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
PageSpeed
« Reply #6410 on: March 31, 2017, 10:26:31 AM »
Hi guys,

several of you asked me about this and i think this might be useful for anyone creating a webpage.

I just wanted to summarize some important things to keep in mind when optimizing your web page and testing it using some online speed testing tools such as the Google PageSpeed

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=2270

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Block Update - NWS Forecast - Custom 3.0
« Reply #6411 on: March 31, 2017, 12:43:37 PM »
Block Update - NWS Forecast - Custom 3.0

Hi guys,

- added last update time and valid for time to forecasts
- added a little message at the top informing the user they can drag the marker to whatever location they want - will automatically disappear when the user does so

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoWide.php?block=nwsForecastCustom

Enjoy

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #6412 on: March 31, 2017, 02:15:47 PM »
Jachym,

Not sure why, but when I switched from PHP 7.0 to 7.1 the daily notification stopped working.  I have reverted back to 7.0 for now.  Ideas?

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline jonnyj771

• Senior Contributor
    • Lightning Weather
« Reply #6413 on: March 31, 2017, 02:29:42 PM »
Jáchym,
I have noticed that a plug in menu I added does not show on the mobile side. How can I fix that?
This is for the US Weather menu.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 02:31:22 PM by jonnyj771 »
Facebook:
Lightning Weather
   www.facebook.com/lightningweather
                             /groups/lightningweather
Lightning Weather Quad Cities
                             /lightningwxqc
                             /groups/lightningWXQC
Weather Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 6152
Weather Station Software: WD - 10.37S Build XXX (Beta)
Page Template: MeteoTemplate v1x. (Current Active)

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #6414 on: March 31, 2017, 04:07:44 PM »
Jachym,

Another question.  Is it possible to add a link to another site on the menu as another item?  As an example after Tools then a link menu item.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6415 on: March 31, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
Jáchym,
I have noticed that a plug in menu I added does not show on the mobile side. How can I fix that?

Hi Jonny,
plugins are only for the desktop version. This might slightly misleading. "Desktop" version is not really for desktops. It is for decently sized screens. The "Mobile" version is for very small screens. Most phones these days and tablets will display the desktop version absolutely fine when in landscape mode and most of the plugins use various maps, graphs etc. which you cannot simply wrap to a new line and if you make them smaller they become useless, not to mention the fact that it would take ages to optimize everything twice - without even knowing the result - it took me a lot of time to do the current mobile section and with help of other users who told me what it looks like on a smartphone I was able to create something that sort of works.
So mobile section is only for very small screens and therefore shows the most basic stuff like current conditions, a few tables, graphs etc. If you want to look at plugins, just use the desktop version. The mobile menu is fixed and only includes those pages that are optimized for this. In the main settings you can specify which devices should be redirected to the desktop and if you set this to something like 800px, you will see that 90% of phones will load the desktop version too.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6416 on: March 31, 2017, 04:16:01 PM »
Jachym,

Another question.  Is it possible to add a link to another site on the menu as another item?  As an example after Tools then a link menu item.

Jay

Hi Jay,
not sure I understand, but yes you can of course include extrnal links in the menu, see the wiki.

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
Re: PageSpeed
« Reply #6417 on: March 31, 2017, 04:49:35 PM »
Hi guys,

several of you asked me about this and i think this might be useful for anyone creating a webpage.

I just wanted to summarize some important things to keep in mind when optimizing your web page and testing it using some online speed testing tools such as the Google PageSpeed

http://meteotemplate.com/blog/?p=2270

LOL - I got a 21/100...

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6418 on: March 31, 2017, 05:06:14 PM »
For example, it will give you marks down for not caching the map images... which again is nonsense, but it only knows it should ignore Google Maps and as soon as you use Leaflet maps...

The best thing though is its recommendation to optimize "my" Google Analytics script :D

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #6419 on: March 31, 2017, 05:11:44 PM »
Dont get me wrong, Im not saying it is useless, no, it is very good. But one must know how to use it. It is more like a list of things to check, sometimes it will tell you to do something and you will go - aaaahhh.. of course I forgot. In other cases you will go - oh, thats fine, thats correct the way it is now - eg. the webcam img caching... These are general rules and will never fit each website. Just Google it and you will find this exact same opinion from many developers. It is just a tool to check things and make sure you did not forget about something and that the page behaves the way you want it to behave. It might for example suggest to compress certain image. And again, it depends. Maybe you really forgot about compressing some one particular image. In other case, such compression could lead to unusable quality degradation.

Offline Colin

• Senior Contributor
    • Colin's Weather
« Reply #6420 on: March 31, 2017, 10:38:57 PM »
What I find most annoying is that when I visit Meteotemplate sites (other than mine) they always run the mobile version and I have to scroll to the bottom of the site and select the desktop version. That may be okay for mobile phones but the desktop versions work beautifully on my 9.7" iPad pro.

Jáchym,

Hi Jonny,
plugins are only for the desktop version. This might slightly misleading. "Desktop" version is not really for desktops. It is for decently sized screens. The "Mobile" version is for very small screens. Most phones these days and tablets will display the desktop version absolutely fine when in landscape mode and most of the plugins use various maps, graphs etc. which you cannot simply wrap to a new line and if you make them smaller they become useless, not to mention the fact that it would take ages to optimize everything twice - without even knowing the result - it took me a lot of time to do the current mobile section and with help of other users who told me what it looks like on a smartphone I was able to create something that sort of works.
So mobile section is only for very small screens and therefore shows the most basic stuff like current conditions, a few tables, graphs etc. If you want to look at plugins, just use the desktop version. The mobile menu is fixed and only includes those pages that are optimized for this. In the main settings you can specify which devices should be redirected to the desktop and if you set this to something like 800px, you will see that 90% of phones will load the desktop version too.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 - USB Data Logger - Meteobridge
Porepunkah, Victoria, Australia
https://www.weather.manorts.com
https://www.punkaweather.com
www.meteo.manorts.com

Offline jonnyj771

• Senior Contributor
    • Lightning Weather
« Reply #6421 on: April 01, 2017, 12:01:11 AM »
What I find most annoying is that when I visit Meteotemplate sites (other than mine) they always run the mobile version and I have to scroll to the bottom of the site and select the desktop version. That may be okay for mobile phones but the desktop versions work beautifully on my 9.7" iPad pro.

Jáchym,

Hi Jonny,
I do have  my settings pointing tablets to the desktop version.
I was beta testing my MT so I could get everything I wanted set up before making it the primary site.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Facebook:
Lightning Weather
   www.facebook.com/lightningweather
                             /groups/lightningweather
Lightning Weather Quad Cities
                             /lightningwxqc
                             /groups/lightningWXQC
Weather Station Hardware: Davis Vantage Pro2 6152
Weather Station Software: WD - 10.37S Build XXX (Beta)
Page Template: MeteoTemplate v1x. (Current Active)

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Meteotemplate - Block Update – Indoor 7.0
« Reply #6422 on: April 01, 2017, 08:50:09 AM »
Block Update – Indoor 7.0

Hi guys,

I am sure we all have problems with leaks. Water can leak through the ceiling, not well insulated windows mean wind can get into our houses. I therefore added support for indoor precipitation and indoor wind speed to the indoor block. You don´t even have to have a sensor for this because the script is smart enough to determine how badly your house is designed.

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoWide.php?block=indoor

Enjoy

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #6423 on: April 01, 2017, 09:30:07 AM »
Hi guys,

I am sure we all have problems with leaks. Water can leak through the ceiling, not well insulated windows mean wind can get into our houses. I therefore added support for indoor precipitation and indoor wind speed to the indoor block. You don´t even have to have a sensor for this because the script is smart enough to determine how badly your house is designed.

DEMO: http://www.meteotemplate.com/template/indexBlockDemoWide.php?block=indoor

Enjoy

April Fools Day.  Pretty funny, Jachym.  Like your sense of humor

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #6424 on: April 01, 2017, 09:40:29 AM »
Jachym,

Will the stickers be able to use the API at some point?

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display