Author Topic: Vue data logger loses communication to new computer  (Read 1944 times)

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
  • Vantage Pro II, tripod mount, 30 feet elevation
Vue data logger loses communication to new computer
« on: April 21, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »
I was forced to upgrade to a new desktop because the old one had a memory leak that caused it to slowly grind to a halt.
The new Dell is powerful and I hope it will provide a strong platform for my Vantage Vue to operate continuously while I am on the road.
But I sure have found out what a non computer whiz I am.  I have had great problems migrating Weatherlink and Virtual Weather Station data to my new computer. I know how to copy and paste, but I wasn't sure exactly where to paste the Weatherlink and VWS folders.
What I REALLY don't get is that the data logger keeps losing it's link.  This never happened on the old computer.
It say's it is not communicating so I have to unplug the USB, restart my computer, and plug it back in, at which time it is recognized.  But after a couple of hours, it is gone again.
What could be causing this?  Is it happening when the computer goes into "idle" when I am away from it?
Please give this amateur any suggestions.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Vue data logger loses communication to new computer
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 10:29:02 AM »
USB ports are going to sleep.  You need to  keep them live.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 10:36:51 AM »
Also, download the latest driver from http://davisnet.com/support/weather/downloads/index.asp

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 12:15:24 PM »
Caution: regardless of the name, "memory leak" is a software thing, not a hardware thing. 

And you might mention what operating system (version of Windows) you are running on your new machine.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »
The new computer runs Windows 7, the old one ran Vista.

I hadn't thought about the drivers, I will seek to update them when I return home in 4 days from my current trip.  I am sure the link will be offline when I get back.
But these are good tips, thanks.
Is is just me, or do both of these software packages, weatherlink and vws, appear old, unintuitve, and difficult to work with for people who are not very intimate with them?

However, regarding the drivers, when I restart the computer and plug the logger usb back it, windows 7 says it recognizes it and is able to install it, but then loses it after a few minutes.

Offline 4wd

• Forecaster
    • North York Moors weather
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 04:37:33 PM »
I think the more recent drivers have a longer delay before deciding the connection is inactive and are more tolerant of any 'noise' in the data.
Main thing is to check the USB ports aren't sleeping after a while though.
Find this in Control Panel/Power Options/advanced power settings.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2012, 04:46:09 PM »
I'm rather sure that Bushman and 4wd gave you the answer.

In Windows 7, it's under Advanced Power Settings - USB Selective Suspend setting.  Disable that.

Offline arrowspace90

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2012, 05:07:05 PM »
I'm rather sure that Bushman and 4wd gave you the answer.

In Windows 7, it's under Advanced Power Settings - USB Selective Suspend setting.  Disable that.

I will try this first thing when I get home (3 days).  Question, if the USB goes to sleep, shouldn't it reawake when the computer comes back to life?  Would this actualy cause me to have to unplug and replug and reboot?  What is turning off?  Is Windows 7 "forgetting" that it has installed drivers for the device?  I don't get it because the computer mouse and keyboard and monitor are all plugged into the computer tower (albeit on the back instead of the front) and they come right back to life.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2012, 05:24:27 PM »
That set of questions would require about 3 pages to answer completely and correctly.  It also depends on what mode your computer is in when it is "idle" (sleep or hibernate). 

One part of the explanation is that mice and keyboards are active devices.  Another part is that individual USB devices may be suspended or not.  And it's the power that gets suspended (it's a power-saving thing).

No, Windows does not forget that device drivers are installed.

Out of curiosity, how do you get your computer to come back to life?

anything