Author Topic: WD on VM saving to Website on VM  (Read 769 times)

Offline tosealer

• Seal Backyard Weather
WD on VM saving to Website on VM
« on: December 23, 2017, 11:13:46 AM »
I'm setting up my WD install on a Win10 VM (trying to consolidate and cut down on power use for my 24/7 running machines).   I have my webserver running on an UbuntuServer on low-power machine that runs in my DMZ on my network.   Wondering what the best way of getting the WD generated files over the webserver.   Would it be better to map a drive on the Win10 VM to a the website folder on the UbuntuServer, or would it be better to set up an FTP server on the UbuntuServer and FTP the files from WD to webserver?    FTPing seems like an unnecessary additional service, but I'm also unsure about whether I can map a Win10 drive to a machine on my DMZ.   Thoughts?

BTW, I'm running WD on the Win10 machine, rather than just running WDConsole version on the UbuntuServer machine because the UbuntuServer machine doesn't have serial ports (which I have my Davis and 1-Wire extra sensors connected through in my current install).  Plus I understand 1-Wire doesn't work (easily??) with linux.

Toronto, ON  Canada
Davis VP2/WeatherDisplay
www.SealWeather.ca

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: WD on VM saving to Website on VM
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 01:11:24 PM »
You do not want traffic flow initiated from the DMZ to your internal network. Otherwise, why then have a DMZ. If you have a mapped drive accessible from the DMZ, others (bad guys) will have access as well.

Data updates need to flow from your internal network to the DMZ. Basically the DMZ data is a read only mirror copy of the internal data. That way if someone hack and destroy you DMZ, no big deal you still have your original data.
Create a firewall rule to only allow writes from a specific  internal computer to the DMZ computer and you are set.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2017, 01:57:09 PM »
OWW works for 1 sure on Linux
And consolewd can be set to read the output from that
But that is for a full 1 wire station not currently to use say just temperature sensors only

Offline tosealer

• Seal Backyard Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2017, 02:44:10 PM »
You do not want traffic flow initiated from the DMZ to your internal network. Otherwise, why then have a DMZ. If you have a mapped drive accessible from the DMZ, others (bad guys) will have access as well.

Data updates need to flow from your internal network to the DMZ. Basically the DMZ data is a read only mirror copy of the internal data. That way if someone hack and destroy you DMZ, no big deal you still have your original data.
Create a firewall rule to only allow writes from a specific  internal computer to the DMZ computer and you are set.
The mapping would be set up on the Win10, which is on the internal LAN, to the webserver folder on the DMZ server.  Would l be able to make this mapping to the DMZ with a one-way firewall, and have WD place all the generated files for the website there, and have the security?  I'm thinking so.

OWW works for 1 sure on Linux
And consolewd can be set to read the output from that
But that is for a full 1 wire station not currently to use say just temperature sensors only
I don't have a OWW station, just a single cable set up with some DS18B20 sensors on it to keep track of temperature my cold room.

Toronto, ON  Canada
Davis VP2/WeatherDisplay
www.SealWeather.ca