Author Topic: El Cheapo Digital Thermometer  (Read 1838 times)

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
El Cheapo Digital Thermometer
« on: June 28, 2017, 02:20:34 PM »
Been having problems with my refrigerator/freezer ...  long story.  Put a glass thermometer inside it (red liquid filled) that varies between 5 degrees (just after the system shuts off) and about 35-40 (during defrost).

Also realized my deep freezer was over 15 years old.  Stuff stays frozen, but what if?  How would you know before it was too late?

Started looking around and found a digital thermometer with a remote probe for about $10 shipped, so I ordered two not really expecting a lot.  They show C or F and have a Hi/Lo history that can be reset.  Also an audible alarm that you can set your desired upper and lower limits.

Put one in each box.  The one in the refrigerator/freezer was showing as much as 10 below 0 which was quite a bit different that the glass liquid filled one showed.  Not knowing which one was more accurate, I tried the ice cubes in water trick.  Dunked the remote probe and let it sit for about 10 minutes. 32.0, right on the dot.  Not sure why the glass one is so far off though.

Checked the alarm function too.  Set the one in the deep freeze for about 25 degrees.  Once the probe had been inside for a while and the temp showed 5 below or so, I pulled it out into room air.  It beeps fairly loud; enough to hear if you're close by, but not enough to wake you up (unless you're a very light sleeper).

Not all bad for $10 I guess.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: El Cheapo Digital Thermometer
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:12:12 PM »
Interesting that the low range (-58F) is so low.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 04:10:53 PM »
Yeah, and no high range to 212 so I couldn't do a boil water test.

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 05:09:23 AM »
The thought just occurred to me that it might be because of the plastic probe covering.  It may not be able to handle over 160 degrees and they may have biased the unit low so people don't use it in higher temperature environments that would melt the plastic.  I have another type of cheap digital meter that runs on 12 volts I'm using to monitor transmission temperature on a yard machine.  That one has a metal probe.

Offline gvmelbrty

• Sandia Knolls, NM Weather
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2017, 06:06:59 PM »
Where did you get the thermometer?

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 02:21:13 AM »
Where did you get the thermometer?

Ambient has something similar, two probes which transmit to a single display which shows current, high and low temp for each sensor, plus room temperature. It also has "too high" and "too low" alarms for the two remote sensors.

Not as cheap, but you can see the high/low at a glance.

I use them on the milk coolers at the school I work at...now I know if someone opened or unplugged a cooler over a weekend or holiday.

http://www.ambientweather.com/amws09.html
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2017, 09:34:51 AM »
LFWC (sorry, I don't know your name)
Looks like a neat rig.  Have you done the side by side comparison with the two sensors to see how close they track?  Or the freezing water test?

Thanks for sharing.  It is amazing how many temp and rain gauges that are available in the local Menards, Lowes, Home Depot and farm stores like Farm and Fleet and Fleet Farm, too, in addition to the specialty places.

Thanks again,
Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php