Author Topic: 100% newbie  (Read 1634 times)

Offline Dgriffith29

100% newbie
« on: March 28, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »
Good afternoon everyone. I am looking to purchase my first ever personal weather station. im completely new to every bit of this and looking for some insight. so far the one that has caught my eye is the Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi for around $300.00 just wish it also had lightning detection as well. Is there a better system in the price area? i live in Humble, Tx just North East of Houston, Tx and about 2 miles from IAH Bush Intercontinental Airport i planned on mounting it at the highest point of my 1 story home which would be on the chimney. i am open to any and all suggestions you may have for me as this is all new to me.

Offline Imageek2

Re: 100% newbie
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 05:58:04 PM »
I am new as well. I was looking at the Ambient WS-1001 when I saw the LaCrosse 330-2315. It doesn't have the following that the Davis, Ambient, or Acurite stations have, but so far I am happy with mine. You can read my review of it under the LaCrosse section here. You can also see the data it puts out by clicking on my Weather Underground link below.

Offline 44085weather

• 44085weather.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »
I would suggest figuring out what you want to do with the data first and go from there if you want to share it online or if you just want to know for yourself.

Offline Dgriffith29

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 06:01:35 PM »
I would suggest figuring out what you want to do with the data first and go from there if you want to share it online or if you just want to know for yourself.

i would like the be able to view this online as well

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 06:12:51 PM »
I am new also, both to the forum and to weather stations. I was ready to go with the Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi, but I have decided to wait until this summer or fall to see what the pricing and early reviews look like for the Acurite Atlas Elite.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Dgriffith29

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 06:13:54 PM »
I am new also, both to the forum and to weather stations. I was ready to go with the Ambient Weather WS-1001-WiFi, but I have decided to wait until this summer or fall to see what the pricing and early reviews look like for the Acurite Atlas Elite.

i also came across the post about those two. and makes me want to wait as well but with all of the features i have a feeling its not going to fit my budget lol

Offline CW2274

• Forecaster
    • Conditions @ CW2274 West Tucson-Painted Hills Ranch
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 06:15:32 PM »
For that money I'd get a Vue, it's a cut above.

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 09:26:32 PM »

i also came across the post about those two. and makes me want to wait as well but with all of the features i have a feeling its not going to fit my budget lol

Based on the fact that the Acurite 1057RM which seems to be feature comparable (more or less) to the Ambient Weather WS1001-WiFi and is half the price ($150 at Amazon), I think it is worth waiting to see where they set the price point on the Atlas Elite. It may not be much more than the WS1001. I suppose they will announce pricing at the time they are ready to accept preorders. I have put myself on their email alert to be notified when the Atlas products are available for preorder. I don't know when that will happen, but hopefully sometime this spring. Once I know the price I can decide whether to keep waiting until I see some reviews and user feedback, or to move on to another brand.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 09:45:06 PM by alanb »
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline Dgriffith29

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 09:28:23 PM »

Based on the fact that the Acurite 1057RM which is feature comparable (more or less) to the Ambient Weather WS1001-WiFi and is half the price ($150 at Amazon), I think it is worth waiting to see where they set the price point on the Atlas Elite. It may not be much more than the WS1001. I suppose they will announce pricing at the time they are ready to accept preorders. I have put myself on their email alert to be notified when the Atlas products are available for preorder. I don't know when that will happen, but hopefully sometime this spring. Once I know the price I can decide whether to keep waiting until I see some reviews and user feedback, or to move on to another brand.

i need to put myself on this list to be notified about it as well if the price is reasonable to fit my budget it may just be wort it!