Author Topic: Upload to Wunderground from Envoy8x  (Read 3005 times)

Offline BrentonSpear

Upload to Wunderground from Envoy8x
« on: February 13, 2017, 06:16:29 AM »
Hi All,

I have recently setup an Envoy8x against an existing Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus.

I have a PC with Windows 8.1 and in the Envoy8x is a USB data logger connected to the PC.

I have the Weather Data Transfer Utility (WDTU) software downloading data from the Envoy8x every 5 minutes into a MS Access database which is working correctly.

What I want to do is automatically upload the data from the WDTU to my Wunderground account every n minutes.

What is the best way to do this?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 06:18:15 AM by BrentonSpear »

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
    • www.weatherstations.co.uk
Re: Upload to Wunderground from Envoy8x
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 07:04:29 AM »
Write some software to do it? (I'm not aware of any existing program able to do this, for now at least. Be interested if anyone else does, but if it exists then it's not well-known.)
Prodata Weather Systems
Prodata's FAQ/support site for Davis stations
Includes many details on 6313 Weatherlink console.
UK Davis Premier Dealer - All Davis stations, accessories and spares
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2017, 09:20:38 AM »
Check into the meteobridge which supports the Envoy8x. I am using a meteobridge PRO do do exactly this. (the non-PRO is a cheaper option and runs on low-cost routers)

Look at http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Home

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2017, 09:44:16 AM »
Check into the meteobridge which supports the Envoy8x. I am using a meteobridge PRO do do exactly this.

What and simultaneously to feed live data to WDTU (which I assume the OP still wants to do?). My picture was of some add-on software that can read the SQL database independently of WDTU and do other things like upload to WU.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Sorry, but I don't usually have time to help with individual issues by email unless you are a Prodata customer. Please post your issue in the relevant forum section here & I will comment there if I have anything useful to add.

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2017, 12:00:07 PM »
If I knew the SQL format and had a sample file of that database then I could get WD to read that

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
If I knew the SQL format and had a sample file of that database then I could get WD to read that

Dare say that someone might be able to send you a copy of their database. But it wouldn't be 100% straightforward for several reasons eg:

1. Remember that the database structure has to be able to accommodate all conceivable combinations of wireless VP2 transmitters, eg eight ISS units or eight fully populated 6345 units. Last time I looked IIRC the database was using 13 different tables. A few are tiny just eg for keeping track of which Tx is on which channel, but others are much larger.

Of course, most users would only have a small subset of channels/transmitters in use but trying to work out how to accommodate even a limited subset might not be trivial.

2. You'd have to cater for all of Access, MySQL and MS SQL Server alternatives, depending on which DBMS the user has chosen to implement. I dare say that the SQL commands would be pretty similar but it's another variable.

Be an interesting project and probably not too difficult to get a prototype working but not sure how much work it would be to perfect.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 01:30:01 PM »
This might help?  https://bitbucket.org/lirpa/mesowx  You'd have to map the WDTU database to Weewx SQL but then you'd get all the features you want.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 01:34:45 PM »
You'd have to map the WDTU database to Weewx SQL
and how is a non programmer supposed to do that?

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 02:19:13 PM »
What I want to do is automatically upload the data from the WDTU to my Wunderground account every n minutes.

What is the best way to do this?

First of all, read about the Wunderground upload protocol:

http://wiki.wunderground.com/index.php/PWS_-_Upload_Protocol

Then, since you seem to be Windows based (using Access), you will need to write some code in something like Visual Basic (?) to extract the data from the DB, format it appropriately, and use HTTP GET to send it to WU.

Then use something like Windows Task Scheduler to automate the sending.

Some of this regarding the specific programs is supposition on my part and may be missing glue bits or appropriate software references. I have done similar things in a hardware IOT device and on a Linux system.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Chris

« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 02:29:53 PM by SLOweather »

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 02:28:41 PM »
For a non-programmer, the easiest way to do this would be via Meteobridge as already mentioned.  $1oo bucks.

OR...  write some code to link the Weewx tables to Access via ODBC linking.  Clearly this is programming:  many high school kids can do this for cheap.  Linking SQL and Access has been done for decades and there are many tutorials as to how to do this.  While Weewx is cool, it means another device, more set up, etc. And coding.  Personally I'd go the MB route.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline waiukuweather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 03:18:31 PM »
for a first time poster to the forum, I would have thought posting things about programing in visual basic to read a access database as a solution might scare the author off a bit..alot of assumptions going on here
if meteobridge supports it, then that is the easiest soltion

Offline BrentonSpear

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2017, 07:33:36 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

SQL doesn't scare me so I can look at this.

I am surprised that there isn't a windows plugin or app that allows you to map the data from the database and format it into the right format to upload straight to WU.

I will have a look at the Meteobridge device but I was hoping to avoid another piece of hardware :(

Offline BrentonSpear

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 07:36:11 PM »
Anyone using Cumulus to do uploads?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2017, 07:59:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

SQL doesn't scare me so I can look at this.

I am surprised that there isn't a windows plugin or app that allows you to map the data from the database and format it into the right format to upload straight to WU.

I will have a look at the Meteobridge device but I was hoping to avoid another piece of hardware :(

My guess is that such a thing exists but not in the "wild".  Folks who buy the 8X are probably serious wx folks or science guys with a specific intent in mind.  That there is no public software, given the likely paucity of sales to the general public exemplifies that methinks.

MB is a truly elegant situation in this case and would barely pay for an hour of a good programmer. ;)

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 03:35:30 AM »
The bit that's missing from this thread is why the OP is using the 8X? If it's simply being used as an Envoy then most/all the standard software might work. But if any special 8X features are in use, eg 3 x anemometers, 2 x 6345 transmitters or supplementary temps needed to 1dp then the data structures of standard software will not have been designed to accommodate that.

And to go back to where we came in, consider a simple case of an 8X seeing two anemometers. But WU only expects (AFAIK) just a single anemometer. So you can't upload both and which one do you choose? The same problem exists for other more complicated combinations of sensors.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline BrentonSpear

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2017, 05:59:42 AM »
Johnd, I have the vantage pro 2 plus as well as a 6345 station and a leaf wetness and soil moisture sensor on it.

Offline johnd

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2017, 09:05:14 AM »
Johnd, I have the vantage pro 2 plus as well as a 6345 station and a leaf wetness and soil moisture sensor on it.

OK, so your configuration isn't any different from that supported by a standard VP2 console or Envoy by the sounds of it? So any particular reason to be using the Envoy8X?

You might find that standard software like Cumulus might be able to connect to the 8X logger and do its stuff like uploading to WU. But obviously that can't happen at the same time as the connection to WDTU.
Prodata Weather Systems
Cambridge UK

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2017, 09:50:19 AM »
The OP should be aware that MB allows pass through to Cumulus via Port 22222 so he could run both MB and Cumulus simultaneously.

Offline BrentonSpear

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »
I have ordered a tp-link router and will setup MB on it. I will also look at using cumulus.

anything