Author Topic: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100  (Read 139300 times)

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
Re: LaCrosse Wireless Internet Gateway Model GW1000U ERF-100
« Reply #100 on: February 25, 2014, 06:00:12 PM »
Might be a nice alternate route as I don't have a dumb hub,

You won't need that in the next release.  I found a way to redirect the Gateway into talking to your PC without additional hardware or WinPCAP.

my router won't fake DNS,

You don't need to do that either.  You change the settings on the Gateway with the Lacrosse GAS utility (free).  It takes about 15 seconds.

and port 80 is occupied on my machine. 

Mine is too.  My ssServer software currently runs on port 8000.  A future version will run on any port you like.

You can use your router to port forward as you like, if you want to make your mini-server visible on the Internet.  You'd probably need a DynDNS account unless you have a static public IP address.

Offline trellend

« Reply #101 on: February 26, 2014, 04:21:54 PM »
Perhaps when you make the kind that skips LaCross all together, you could do it on a USB NIC direct to gateway.   Something like that.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #102 on: February 26, 2014, 04:31:13 PM »
Perhaps when you make the kind that skips LaCross all together, you could do it on a USB NIC direct to gateway.   Something like that.

I already did that.  ssServer uses whatever NIC or WiFi connection you use on your server PC to connect to the Internet and the other devices on your LAN.

Offline trellend

« Reply #103 on: February 26, 2014, 04:35:11 PM »
Alright, I'll pick up another NIC next trip to civilization, I'll be ready to test in a 2-3 weeks.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #104 on: February 26, 2014, 04:37:29 PM »
Alright, I'll pick up another NIC next trip to civilization, I'll be ready to test in a 2-3 weeks.

???!!! You don't have an existing NIC or WiFi connection on your PC?

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #105 on: February 28, 2014, 12:01:41 AM »
I got the SkySpy Server talking to Wunderground tonight!   \:D/  I can't fully test it, since I don't have an account with them yet, but the Wunderground server does complain that I have an invalid station ID or password - I have both  :lol:

The next release will allow you to enter your station ID and password.  SkySpy Server will then update Wunderground at the interval you specify - around 2 minutes minimum, even if you have a rapid fire account.  That is the fastest this weather station can go :-)

Those of you on the SkySpy Server beta program should update when I make the new release - probably tomorrow night, west coast time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/35f3wbf57pam7ri/wundergroundsetup.png

Offline Cayuse

« Reply #106 on: February 28, 2014, 12:57:06 AM »
I got the SkySpy Server talking to Wunderground tonight!   \:D/  I can't fully test it, since I don't have an account with them yet, but the Wunderground server does complain that I have an invalid station ID or password - I have both  :lol:

The next release will allow you to enter your station ID and password.  SkySpy Server will then update Wunderground at the interval you specify - around 2 minutes minimum, even if you have a rapid fire account.  That is the fastest this weather station can go :-)

Those of you on the SkySpy Server beta program should update when I make the new release - probably tomorrow night, west coast time.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/35f3wbf57pam7ri/wundergroundsetup.png

Very cool!  Looking forward to the update.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #107 on: February 28, 2014, 02:32:40 PM »
I opened a new Wunderground account this morning.  I then configured SkySpy Server to send data to the Wunderground PWS server.

Success!

Wunderground accepted my actual sensor readings!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol5gvsssr20hay6/WundergroundSuccess.png

I have one minor tweak to do to the formatting of the sensor readings, but things are looking very good for a new release tonight.  =D>

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #108 on: February 28, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »
I opened a new Wunderground account this morning.  I then configured SkySpy Server to send data to the Wunderground PWS server.

Success!

Wunderground accepted my actual sensor readings!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol5gvsssr20hay6/WundergroundSuccess.png

I have one minor tweak to do to the formatting of the sensor readings, but things are looking very good for a new release tonight.  =D>

You the man.

Cannot wait!

Tee
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #109 on: February 28, 2014, 02:44:16 PM »
Wow!  That was quick.  My station shows up on the Wunderground map already with my current readings.  The site says it takes 24 hours.

Oops.  I think I have an incorrect dew point calculation.  I'll fix that tonight too.

Edit: 2 Mar 2014:

Dew point is now fixed.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 11:32:52 AM by skydvrz »

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #110 on: February 28, 2014, 09:38:39 PM »
Those of you running the beta SkySpy Server version 1.0.0.10 can update to the latest release by restarting your ssServer software.  After log in, a dialog box should appear that lists the new features (dew point and Wunderground updates).  Click OK to upgrade to the latest version.  ssServer will disappear for a few seconds and then pop up the log in form.  You should see a few more fields on the main form.

See the readme file in the installation directory for instructions on how to configure ssServer to update Wunderground.

Offline Cayuse

« Reply #111 on: February 28, 2014, 09:58:27 PM »
Woohoo!  Simple, effective and I'm up and running already, first update showed in wunderground moments after the install finished.  So much better than the lacrosse solution.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2014, 12:19:51 AM »
Woohoo!  Simple, effective and I'm up and running already, first update showed in wunderground moments after the install finished.  So much better than the lacrosse solution.

Thanks for the kind words.  I've been working on this for quite a while - since just before Christmas in almost every free moment until now.  I hope it makes people happy.

Offline trellend

« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »
Ever think about allowing read only access to your remote database?  Then we can pull some reports too.

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2014, 03:02:46 PM »

Thanks for the kind words.  I've been working on this for quite a while - since just before Christmas in almost every free moment until now.  I hope it makes people happy.
All your hard work is greatly appreciated and yes you do make us happy. I have been running ssCapture and ssMonitor for over two weeks and find it very useful. =D> I am looking to the release of your ssServer software and can't wait to try it.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2014, 04:08:04 PM »
Ever think about allowing read only access to your remote database?  Then we can pull some reports too.

You already have that feature in ssMonitor.  Open the Historical tab, filter the readings by whatever criteria you like, reorder the columns to taste and then right click on the grid.  A popup menu will appear.

Select Excel export and take it from there.  The spread sheet will look just like your grid and contents.

It can also export in PDF format and print to your printer.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »
All your hard work is greatly appreciated and yes you do make us happy. I have been running ssCapture and ssMonitor for over two weeks and find it very useful. =D> I am looking to the release of your ssServer software and can't wait to try it.

I'm glad you like it!  I am holding off on doing a wide release of the server until I can settle on a feature set.

I need to get a consensus:

1) I am considering removing the database completely and have ssServer submit it's samples to Weather Underground (WU) exclusively.  I might remove the mini-website feature too.  Your thoughts?

You would have to download a CSV file from WU if you wanted to run special reports.

2) I want to turn ssServer into a Windows Service that runs invisibly in the background on your computer.  I will probably add a companion program used to configure ssServer and maybe display the last sensor readings. The companion program can be run continuously or only as needed.  The service would run just fine without it.

A service would survive being rebooted when Microsoft automatically updates Windows in the wee hours of the morning - you would not lose more than a couple minutes of sensor data on WU, even if you got logged out of your windows session. It would also continue running if you log out, or someone else logs in to your computer.

I think the transition from desktop app to Windows Service is important, so that is tops on my list.  I really want to wrap this thing up quickly, so that is my motivation for paring down the feature list to the minimum everyone wants and can actually use.

Feedback is appreciated!

Offline redsbeach

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2014, 05:30:28 PM »
First and foremost, thanks for all the effort you've put into this.
I've been looking for something exactly like this to replace the unreliable Alerts website.

As far as preferences are concerned, I run my own servers and would really like the ability to keep the database local.
This also increases the flexibility for future use.
Including the mini website and the ability to also upload to WU is fantastic.

So I'd vote no change to these existing features that you've currently included.
Running the server as a service with an associated configuration app is a great idea!

Again, thanks for all the time you've put into this.

Offline skydvrz

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2014, 05:55:12 PM »
As far as preferences are concerned, I run my own servers and would really like the ability to keep the database local.

So I'd vote no change to these existing features that you've currently included.
Running the server as a service with an associated configuration app is a great idea!

Ok.  Lets get some more votes :-)

I don't want to host the DB forever - too much responsibility  :-|

The current product is MySQL-based.  For speed and efficiency, SkySpy uses a native MySQL TCP/IP interface (no DLLs or ODBC).

I am not too motivated to change DB engines, since that is the database I program with at my day job and other consulting work. I know it inside out and backwards and am not too keen on learning a new one. The good news is that the community version of MySQL is open-source/free.

The trouble with a local/remote DB is you have to log in to use it.  I suppose I could save login credentials in the registry, but that is not too secure.  You would need some sort of automatic login, in a service environment.

You can use your own DB right now - just change the host name / port # using the Advanced button on the Login form.  Note that you would have to create and populate a bunch of DB tables before use.  I have not published the DB schemas and tables, but I could if there is any interest in private / local MySQL servers.

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2014, 06:04:29 PM »
I also want to thank you for all the hard work that you have put into this.  You've far exceeded my expectations.  I know you have others duties that keep you busy, so I am REALLY appreciative for everything you've done thus far. 

I'm glad you like it!  I am holding off on doing a wide release of the server until I can settle on a feature set.

I need to get a consensus:

1) I am considering removing the database completely and have ssServer submit it's samples to Weather Underground (WU) exclusively.  I might remove the mini-website feature too.  Your thoughts?

You would have to download a CSV file from WU if you wanted to run special reports.

I would like the database local I think it would be a big benefit.  Setting up MySQL is not that difficult and it would allow us to be able to design custom reports or web pages.

I'm guessing, but I think moving the database to our computers would not be that difficult and would take the burden off your system.

I would not mind using my web server in lieu of your mini-server.

2) I want to turn ssServer into a Windows Service that runs invisibly in the background on your computer.  I will probably add a companion program used to configure ssServer and maybe display the last sensor readings. The companion program can be run continuously or only as needed.  The service would run just fine without it.

A service would survive being rebooted when Microsoft automatically updates Windows in the wee hours of the morning - you would not lose more than a couple minutes of sensor data on WU, even if you got logged out of your windows session. It would also continue running if you log out, or someone else logs in to your computer.

I think the transition from desktop app to Windows Service is important, so that is tops on my list.  I really want to wrap this thing up quickly, so that is my motivation for paring down the feature list to the minimum everyone wants and can actually use.

I do like the idea of running this as a windows service.  It would make it a lot easier.

Feedback is appreciated!

SKYDVR, thanks again for all that you have done for all of us so far.  Your code thus far, far exceeds the garbage that Lacrosse has on it's pay-to-view.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 06:07:26 PM by 10ACTony »
//
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message though a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
//

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #120 on: March 01, 2014, 06:18:45 PM »
I hope it makes people happy.

:grin:  =D>    :grin: =D>    :grin: =D>
//
//

Offline Cayuse

« Reply #121 on: March 01, 2014, 06:30:33 PM »
I think that having it run as a service would be of the most benefit. 

Whether it stores to a local DB or only uploads to WU doesn't really matter to me at this point although I can see some advantages to having the granularity available at the local level but for my use I'm not sure I want/need that.

Offline redsbeach

« Reply #122 on: March 01, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »

Ok.  Lets get some more votes :-)

I don't want to host the DB forever - too much responsibility  :-|

The current product is MySQL-based.  For speed and efficiency, SkySpy uses a native MySQL TCP/IP interface (no DLLs or ODBC).

I am not too motivated to change DB engines, since that is the database I program with at my day job and other consulting work. I know it inside out and backwards and am not too keen on learning a new one. The good news is that the community version of MySQL is open-source/free.

The trouble with a local/remote DB is you have to log in to use it.  I suppose I could save login credentials in the registry, but that is not too secure.  You would need some sort of automatic login, in a service environment.

You can use your own DB right now - just change the host name / port # using the Advanced button on the Login form.  Note that you would have to create and populate a bunch of DB tables before use.  I have not published the DB schemas and tables, but I could if there is any interest in private / local MySQL servers.

Ooops.  Didn't mean that I was expecting you to host the MySQL DB.
I'm with 10ACTony in preferring to host the DB locally on my own server, as well as hosting a web page to display the output dynamically.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. 

Retaining the ability to upload to WU would accommodate those that don't want to maintain a local instance would be the best of both worlds.

Can the skyServer mySQL credentials be kept in an .ini or .conf to be passed at startup?  It's no more secure than the registry, but it might be less
work. 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 07:06:34 PM by redsbeach »

Offline MtHighVs

« Reply #123 on: March 01, 2014, 08:11:53 PM »
My Vote is to have the database local as I would like the software to run independent of a internet connection. And also like having the mini-website feature. Having it run as service would be nice.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 08:15:49 PM by MtHighVs »

Offline 10ACTony

« Reply #124 on: March 01, 2014, 08:30:18 PM »

Retaining the ability to upload to WU would accommodate those that don't want to maintain a local instance would be the best of both worlds.

Definitely keep the ability to upload to WU.
//
//