Author Topic: Analysis of Number of Weather Stations by Brand / Type  (Read 7015 times)

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
Re: Analysis of Number of Weather Stations by Brand / Type
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2018, 10:49:25 AM »
*** New Formula for Calculating Multiple Search Matches ***

Well I finally figured it out. The problem before was that I was only matching one search result to give a tally. For example to search for all the Davis Vantage Pro 2, I was only previously looking for a match for "Vantage Pro". For Vantage Vue I was only searching for "vue". This is because some stations left out the word Davis, and others called it Vantage Pro2 or Vantage Pro II. The problem I noticed with Davis (and later with other station types too), is that there is the most common choices from the drop down selection for station type, but apparently perhaps at one point the drop down selection was not as good or even still Weather Underground may be permitting free expression of the model hardware. This lead to a few stations listed with some different names and even typos. There are stations listed as Advantage Pro. But my my search was counting those before because "vantage pro" is still a search string match for those situations. But there were also some instances like, vantagepro, davis 6153, Davis Pro 2, VP2. The typos were things like, provantage, vantage2, vantege...etc. I tried to find the most popular variations and that is why I stuck with "vantage pro" before. But now I have a formula that accounts for multiple matches. This also helped Acurite, as sometimes it was spelled Acu-rite with hyphen. Oregon Scientific also sometimes were listed as just OS WMR or WMR-xxx. Ambient was sometimes spelled Ambiant. You get the idea.

Here is the new tally using the old data with these new formulas. There is nothing terribly wrong with the previous numbers as they paint a pretty good picture of the most common name for each station type. With this new formula now we just have a better more accurate picture. Now you can almost see that if you add the VP2 + Vue stations you come pretty close to the Davis total (the balance is probably old Weather Monitors still running). The Davis total is also counting stations that are only listed as just VP2 (leaving out the word Davis) for example where as before I was only looking for the word "Davis" explicitly. This helped the Davis total go way up from the prior search method.

If anyone is curious this is the new formula (totally different than previous) for searching for multiple matches (took a while to figure this one out):
=IF(SUMPRODUCT(--(NOT(ISERR(SEARCH({"vue","view","davis 6250"},D2)))))>0,1,0)
That is an example of the Vue search. The others are formatted the same, just the search matches differ and the VP2 search is huge with so many variations.

I also noticed that the Oregon Scientific was off because it was matching positive for the State of Oregon's harware called Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality. I had to tally those and subtract them from the Oregon total (because I was trying to pull all the Oregon models by just matching the word "Oregon".) So the Oregon Scientific total number you see reflects this correction already. You just see the Oregon Dept column because I had to tally it in order to have a number to subtract (that was easier than coming up with a custom Oregon formula with AND IF functions.)

Entire US Station List:
 [ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Just Florida:

This is still not perfect. When you have over 91,000 records in Excel (and multiple data sets) and you are looking and trying to account for all the variations that people mistakenly enter it gets very tedious very fast. I think these new results are good enough numbers even though probably still not perfect because of the human factor. I'm not going to sweat it trying to find every single obscure variation. I spent a lot of time on this and hopefully it was worth it to some people. Id say these number are probably 99% accurate based on the data provided by WU.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 11:54:35 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
    • Haverford Weather Station
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2018, 12:00:13 PM »
Great stuff!

So, if the brand names (as opposed to individual models) now closely represent the brand totals, then in the U.S. the leader seems to be Ambient (27,384 in Oct.) followed closely by Acurite (26,762) and then Davis (19,418). Right?

This is probably the best publicly available info on the national PWS market, which is at least 91,000+ on Weather Underground alone.

Rich K.
Onset HOBO RX2102 Cellular
https://www.havtrail.com/weather/
NEWA https://newa.cornell.edu Haverford, PA

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2018, 12:17:46 PM »
Sorting on your raw data, looks like only 39 WeatherHawk stations are uploading their weather info to WU. I would have assumed many more than that but I guess it's because most sales are to federal, regional & local governments, universities, industry, emergency management entities and high-end residential automation.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
Great stuff!

So, if the brand names (as opposed to individual models) now closely represent the brand totals, then in the U.S. the leader seems to be Ambient (27,384 in Oct.) followed closely by Acurite (26,762) and then Davis (19,418). Right?

This is probably the best publicly available info on the national PWS market, which is at least 91,000+ on Weather Underground alone.

Rich K.

Yes, correct. The reason the brand doesn't exactly match the listed models mostly because there are other models not listed separately and because of obscure rare variations in station types with errors or omissions.

Too bad there isn't any data for other countries. I really would have liked to have seen analysed other countries. Also too bad that Acurite and WU don't list out model numbers separately.* Seems only Davis and Ambient do this. Well I've seen the data and other manufactures also list out model numbers separately like Rainwise. I haven't bothered to include those nor others like Vaisala and Peet Bros..etc ....because nobody has asked. By looking at the numbers you can tell that +79,000 out of +91,000 is made up of just Ambient, Acurite, Davis, and LaCrosse (to a small part). Those four make up 87% of what is on WU (in the US).

* If you have an Acurite station please update your station type in Weather Underground so that we can start to differentiate Acurite by model. This is a newly offered WU Station setting option. See this link for details.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35425.0

PS - I also fixed Onset HOBO to include search for both instances of "onset" and "hobo."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 09:48:35 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2018, 12:43:48 PM »
Sorting on your raw data, looks like only 39 WeatherHawk stations are uploading their weather info to WU. I would have assumed many more than that but I guess it's because most sales are to federal, regional & local governments, universities, industry, emergency management entities and high-end residential automation.

I counted 54 WeatherHawk in both the August and the October data sets. Yes this analysis needs to be taken for what it is. This is what reports to WU and therefore is mostly the home owner and weather hobbyists, and there are some schools sprinkled in there too. But I think that is representative enough for the people browsing this forum and looking at what to buy for themselves. I don't think federal, local and regional governments, industry ..etc care what is on WU. This data is for us the hobbyists. But sometimes it is surprising to see some state run hardware that does show up on WU. I mentioned the Oregon Dept. of Environmental Quality, but there are others like New Jersey Dept of Environmental Protection, New Hampshire Dept. of Environmental Services...etc. But when those show up and on WU there is no way of knowing what hardware they really are using as it just shows up with those department names, because that is how they are reporting.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:50:23 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2018, 04:50:10 PM »
Great stuff!

Rich K.

Yes, correct. The reason the brand doesn't exactly match the listed models mostly because there are other models not listed separately and because of obscure rare variations in station types with errors or omissions.

Too bad there isn't any data for other countries. I really would have liked to have seen analysed other countries. Also too bad that Acurite and WU don't list out model numbers separately. Seems only Davis and Ambient do this. Well I've seen the data and other manufactures also list out model numbers separately like Rainwise. I haven't bothered to include those nor others like Vaisala and Peet Bros..etc ....because nobody has asked. By looking at the numbers you can tell that +79,000 out of +91,000 is made up of just Ambient, Acurite, Davis, and LaCrosse (to a small part). Those four make up 87% of what is on WU (in the US).

PS - I also fixed Onset HOBO to include search for both instances of "onset" and "hobo."

Back in August when the original national csv file was posted thanks to "openvista," I downloaded it and sifted through it, finding a total of 66 Onset HOBOs, reporting from 23 states. Some are just listed as "Other."

I don't think the list's choices of models is defined by the manufacturers. I think it was, as you also guessed, originally a free-form entry by the individual registrants. Later, I believe, WU instituted the drop-down choice menu with options that they created themselves, to give some level of consistency to the data. I think they included what they believed were more popular specific models in their list of choices.

I had to register our HOBO RX3003 as a HOBO U30 (an obsolete model), because that was (and still is) the only HOBO choice available. At that time I was tempted to choose "Other" instead, but went with "HOBO U30" because at least it signaled "HOBO".

Rich K.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 04:54:27 PM by havtrail »

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2018, 11:33:58 PM »
Back in August when the original national csv file was posted thanks to "openvista," I downloaded it and sifted through it, finding a total of 66 Onset HOBOs, reporting from 23 states. Some are just listed as "Other."

How do you know they are Onset HOBOs if they are listed as "other"?

I don't think the list's choices of models is defined by the manufacturers. I think it was, as you also guessed, originally a free-form entry by the individual registrants. Later, I believe, WU instituted the drop-down choice menu with options that they created themselves, to give some level of consistency to the data. I think they included what they believed were more popular specific models in their list of choices.

I think some manufacturers must have some part in it though Take the WS-2000 that wasn't even officially released yet till late August and it was already a choice for model type with all of 12 stations. The WS-2000 did not fully go on sale till late August after the August WU list was pulled. This model was originally suspended for sale because a bug was discovered early on that if the SD card memory reached a certain level the device would get bricked. As a new firmware was worked on the sale was suspended. I think Ambient had to of informed WU early on that this model was new and for them to add it to the list. I think WU should clean up the list of bad choices, fix the typos and consolidate.

I had to register our HOBO RX3003 as a HOBO U30 (an obsolete model), because that was (and still is) the only HOBO choice available. At that time I was tempted to choose "Other" instead, but went with "HOBO U30" because at least it signaled "HOBO".
I would reach out to WU and see if they can add the Onset HOBO RX3003 model to the list.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2018, 07:24:06 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2018, 09:55:13 AM »
* If you have an Acurite station please update your station type in Weather Underground so that we can start to differentiate Acurite by model. This is a newly offered WU Station setting option. See this link for details.
https://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=35425.0
Tele-Pole

Offline kbellis

• Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 01:10:13 PM »
@galfert - Nicely done!

Offline BKS97

• Senior Contributor
    • Sartell East Weather
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 02:26:08 PM »
I would like to see a tally of the number of RainWise MK-111 weather stations reporting to WU.

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2018, 07:21:43 PM »
It would be easy to just report how many Rainwise stations are live. Roughly about 1316 stations in the USA.  But it will take some work to first identify which of the following are MK III stations versus which are a different model. Then after we have them identified I would have to create a formula to account for each valid variation. So from the following list which are MK III and which aren't?  For example I think Rainwise CC-3000 is a an MK III but it is not coming right out and saying it is a MK III and instead it is reporting the add-on device that is doing the Internet reporting (CC-3000). But am I right or could it be a MK II or something older?

So which of these are MK III and which aren't? I don't know how to identify what should count as an MK III and which should just be a Rainwise because it might be a different model. This is more difficult than dealing with all the Davis VP2 variations only because I don't know anything about Rainwise. Correct this table and then I can look into computing some results.

Rain Wise MKIII                YES
Rain Wise MK-III-LR-RT1    YES
RainWise AgroMET              ?
RainWise CC3000                ?
Rainwise CC-3000                ?
Rainwise iP-100                   ?
Rainwise LR                   (???? is this an MK III?  or should is just be counted as a Rainwise?)
RainWise Mark III LR      YES
Rainwise Mark III              YES
RainWise Mark-III RTI-LR     YES
Rainwise MK 111-LR            YES (funny they used 1's, how dumb is that?)
RainWise MK III - LR             YES
Rainwise MK III LR               YES
Rainwise Mk III RTI LR          YES
RainWise MK III                     YES
RAINWISE MK III                     YES
Rainwise MK III-LR                     YES
Rainwise MK III-LR-RTI              YES
Rainwise MK IIIp                           YES
Rainwise MK3                                   YES
Rainwise MK-III IP100                         YES
Rainwise MKIII Long Range                  YES
Rainwise MKIII LR                             YES
Rainwise MkIII LR                         YES
Rainwise MK-III LR                           YES
Rainwise MK-III Pro                         YES
RainWise MK-III RTI                         YES
Rainwise MK-III RTI-LR                     YES
Rainwise MK-III SP                            YES
Rainwise MK-III SP1 LR                    YES
Rainwise MK-III SP1                        YES
RainWise MK-III SP-5 LR                  YES
RainWise MK-III SP-5                       YES
Rainwise MKIII w/ IP-100                 YES
Rainwise MKIII                                 YES
Rainwise MKIII-LR                           YES
Rainwise MK-IIILR                            YES
RainWise MK-III-LR                         YES
RainWise MK-III-LR-RTI                   YES
Rainwise MKIII-RTI-LR                    YES
RainWise MK-III-RTI-LR                   YES
RainWise MK-III-RTN                      YES
Rainwise MK-III-RTN-LR IP-100        YES
RainWise MK-III-RTN-LR                   YES
Rainwise MKII-LR SP1                        NO this is MK II
Rainwise MKII-LR                              NO this is MK II
Rainwise MK-lll                           YES
Rainwise MKlllLR                        YES
Rainwise MRK-III                       YES
RainWise P-100                          ?
Rainwise PVMet 300                    ?
Rainwise WS2000                        NO
Rainwise WS3000                       NO
RainWise                             (yep that is a category...do we count it as MK III model or just as Rainwise brand)
RainWise.net/ IP-100                ?
Rainwise-MKIIIRTI-LR            YES

This is a list of some of the different variations of Rainwise I've seen on WU.  Some of these in the list appear only once....some appear more frequently.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 07:31:32 PM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2018, 12:39:17 AM »
You can see why they apparently have gone to a pull-down selection menu instead of freeform entry.

Rich K.

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »
Seriously nice work! I look forward to seeing the further breakdown of the Acurite stations.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2019, 10:46:28 AM »
It had been a while since I last pulled a report of weather stations on WU. I figured it was time to do it again and see how things have progressed. I was not able to pull the list.

Even though you can get this far:
https://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/hardwareandsoftware.asp

When you try and use this:

You end up with this:

I hope this is just temporary and that they bring this back. This was a helpful feature to have especially as new station models came out you could gauge their popularity. You could also compare growth of brands. Although it only worked for for US stations it would have also been nice to have had access to other countries. WU please bring this back.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 10:51:27 AM by galfert »
Tele-Pole

Offline havtrail

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2019, 02:10:40 PM »
Yes, this is a great resource, and I really appreciated the work you and others did some months back to pull down and analyze this data. It's the only way I have to track down other users of Onset weather stations and HOBOlink users. It would be nice if it worked for PWS's outside the U.S., too. I hope it comes back on line.

Rich K.

Offline WX9TRS

« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2019, 05:28:42 PM »
No Peet Brothers shown. Why?  WU no longer lists them when I know there are several on the system. I do not trust there numbers. Mine is a Peet Bros 2100 but at times it says it's some other brand.  Lacrosse or something. Just plan incorrect!

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2019, 06:20:05 PM »
No Peet Brothers shown. Why?  WU no longer lists them when I know there are several on the system. I do not trust there numbers. Mine is a Peet Bros 2100 but at times it says it's some other brand.  Lacrosse or something. Just plan incorrect!

No Peet Brothers because nobody ever asked. I offered to calculate any brand/model. You now asked so here it is:
All Peet Brothers branded stations or Ultimeter 800, 2000, and 2100... Total = 101 dalmatians ...I mean 101 stations (* Using October 2018 data the only thing available)

I don't see why you say you don't trust the numbers. The numbers aren't coming from Weather Underground. The numbers come from me crunching the data that Weather Underground had for station type that was something that the station owner enters. If someone enters in the wrong name or they enter in "Other" then I can't count it.

There are two different things shown when you look at a WU station. There is the Hardware and there is the Software. The Hardware never changes and like I said that depends on the station owner to enter in whatever they want. The Software on the other hand is detected and changes automatically depending on how WU sees your data being uploaded. That is part of the upload protocol that your station uses. So it is essentially up to your software to do its part there. I'm not using the software identifier. I'm only using the Hardware type entered in by the station owner. But getting back to the software the only time I've seen it change is if the station owner has inadvertently configured their upload to happen with two different software so that there is a double upload. For example with Davis you can upload from weatherlink.com or you can upload with your own 3rd party software or other logger. You want to be sure that you aren't uploading via two methods. Regardless this issue with the software is inconsequential to the process that I go through to identify the station.

Names that I matched (* Using October 2018 data..the only thing I have since this is no longer available):
PEET 2000
Peet 2100
Peet Borthers - Ultimeter 2100
Peet Bro
Peet Bros 2000
Peet Bros 2100
Peet Bros 2100
Peet Bros 2100
Peet Bros U2100
Peet Bros UI-2000
Peet Bros ULT2000
Peet Bros Ultimeter 2000