Author Topic: 2810 Rain Not Reset  (Read 33520 times)

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: 2810 Rain Not Reset
« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2010, 05:50:21 PM »
Good job Lou! Your 3.130" adjustment is very close to the 3.182" calculated. Pretty handy to have ready made material available.

Offline Duck Fan

• UPS Driver, Tool Sharpener, Rock Drummer
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2010, 12:48:08 AM »
DanS I really like your mod with the screws to adjust the bucket tips. Could you share just what size screws those are and are the black collars threaded? I picked up some stainless screws and some expansion nuts but I think my items are to big. I dont think the expansion nuts will hold the screws tight enough once the adjustment is made. Any help would be great! :grin:
Nick

Davis Vantage Pro2  LaCrosse WS2812 Modified   
WU: KORSCIO3  PWS: SCIOWX21

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2010, 06:26:04 PM »
DanS I really like your mod with the screws to adjust the bucket tips. Could you share just what size screws those are and are the black collars threaded? I picked up some stainless screws and some expansion nuts but I think my items are to big. I dont think the expansion nuts will hold the screws tight enough once the adjustment is made. Any help would be great! :grin:

Hi Duck Fan. I just used a set of 8/32 stainless screws and 2 nuts on each. You could use smaller like 6/32's with no problem. I just had these available. Those black "collar" looking items in the photo are just nuts placed on each side of the gauge floor. Just snug them up until you're all tweaked in  with your adjustments then tighten in place. I don't believe the gauge floor is thick enough or has enough reinforcement to support expansion nuts but the way I did mine with a nut on each side seems to do the trick for this application. Cheers.
Dan

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2010, 12:27:31 AM »
Thanks Dan,  Easy enough. I should have put my glasses on to get a closer look #-o I also built the baby bottle tool for checking so I am set to fine tune this rain gauge. Thanks again for your help. =D>
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:29:20 AM by Duck Fan »
Nick

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2010, 07:54:07 PM »
No problem and hope you get it all setup with no problems. That baby bottle tool makes adjusting and measuring a lot easier too. When you add the measured water to the bottle and flip it over in the gauge funnel, turn it over so that the little straw gets air in the bottom of it as you flip it to clear out the water inside. It flows smoothly this way.  :grin:

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2010, 02:04:32 PM »
Ok Wow, I think I may have the rain gauge pretty darn close. \:D/. I have ran 130ml of water through it and getting .52 on the reading. :grin: I will set this up now on its perch and wait for rain. Hear in Oregon, we do not have to wait long for rain. ;) Dan i seemed to have managed this without using the screws. I took my dremel and removed the plastic so the bucket could tip down farther and noticed it was stopping itself on the wide part of the bucket on the battery tower. At this point i was getting a .66 reading. I shaved a little off the bucket to let it fall a little bit further and now getting the .52 reading. Make sense? Clear as mud? :roll: I will watch this work in real conditions and let you know.... :grin:

Nick
Nick

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2010, 08:15:03 PM »
Understand about shaving the buckets to clear the battery tower. You would have to have both sides shaved the same amount to stop them at the same point in their downward travel and also for the balance of the bucket assembly. Hope it works o.k. and good luck with the upcoming rain check-out. :-)

Offline pschnell

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 03:16:36 PM »
Hello,

sorry for my bad english.

Now, in france you receive from LaCrosse, new Th/hygro for correct problem of rain. I have tested this new one this week. With this, one enr data on two is really saved (it's not good for precison).

Have you remark that wind gust diplay on station is not saved in next data ??!!. for me, a wind gust 71 KMH at 9h42 is save at 9h45 59,4 KMH. (one enr every 5 mn).

Offline Duck Fan

« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
OK, We are finally getting some rain and my rain gauge SEEMS to be dead on :grin: I will continue to monitor this. \:D/ Thanks Dan for your help on this. Was a little worried when you said even on both sides of the bucket for balance. I did have that in my mind when i shaved off the sides of the bucket where it was hitting the battery tower.  Same principal when balancing a lawn mower blade. Set the blade on a balancer and if leaning on one side, shave off some metal on that side. :-)
Nick

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »
Good to hear that your tweak got the problem resolved Duck Fan! Still waiting for some showers here to confirm mine. Way too dry around these parts. :-|

Offline pschnell

« Reply #60 on: March 22, 2010, 03:44:29 PM »
Hello for all,

Sorry my english is same as spanish cow.

Now, after replacement of Th/Hygro probe (not a solution), we start a procedure (I don't know the good term in english) on LaCrosse Tecnologie for latent defect.

This procedure is on Double rain, not good saved rain gust datas.

On this procedure we add the problem of long tile of re-synchro betheen Pc and station.

If you want you can join our group, send me a personal message.

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2010, 05:33:03 PM »
Hello for all,

Sorry my english is same as spanish cow.

Now, after replacement of Th/Hygro probe (not a solution), we start a procedure (I don't know the good term in english) on LaCrosse Tecnologie for latent defect.

On this procedure we add the problem of long tile of re-synchro betheen Pc and station.

If you want you can join our group, send me a personal message.

..If I understand you correctly, it sounds like Lacrosse replaced the thermo sensor in an effort to fix the double rain fall amount...??

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2010, 06:13:43 PM »

That sounds like a problem others have been having with the 2810.  I don't have one, but it sounds like a job for Super Dan (that's what I think the S is for!)
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »

That sounds like a problem others have been having with the 2810.  I don't have one, but it sounds like a job for Super Dan (that's what I think the S is for!)

...true..Dan has already tackled the problem with a internal mod.  I was wondering what if any did Lacrosse say about the rain gauge problem. :lol:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »

That sounds like a problem others have been having with the 2810.  I don't have one, but it sounds like a job for Super Dan (that's what I think the S is for!)

...true..Dan has already tackled the problem with a internal mod.  I was wondering what if any did Lacrosse say about the rain gauge problem. :lol:

I haven't heard any news with regard to this. I feel they should offer a firmware upgrade that owners could download to correct the problem if possible (for those who don't do the physical mods we've done). I see LaCrosse has upgraded the HW Pro software a version though. I downloaded that but haven't seen much improvement over the last version.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:34:50 PM by DanS »

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2010, 08:27:51 PM »

That sounds like a problem others have been having with the 2810.  I don't have one, but it sounds like a job for Super Dan (that's what I think the S is for!)

...true..Dan has already tackled the problem with a internal mod.  I was wondering what if any did Lacrosse say about the rain gauge problem. :lol:

I haven't heard any news with regard to this. I feel they should offer a firmware upgrade that owners could download to correct the problem if possible (for those who don't do the physical mods we've done). I see LaCrosse has upgraded the HW Pro software a version though. I downloaded that but haven't seen much improvement over the last version.

I'm not sure you can load a firmware update to the 2810..??? :sad:

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2010, 08:36:58 PM »
I'm wondering about that as well. The console/display has 2-way comms capability with the PC so being able to send to it is possible. I guess it's just a matter of what kind of chip set is used.

Offline pschnell

« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2010, 04:56:20 PM »
Good night

Are you sure that WS 2800 have a com port ?

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2010, 05:00:12 PM »
Good night

Are you sure that WS 2800 have a com port ?

The 2810 (usa) has a USB device that plugs into the PC.  It receives data from the display (?) and uses it in the HeavyWeather software.

Offline pschnell

« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2010, 05:10:11 PM »
Hello,

I am a french user of WS 2800.

prepahs I have not good understand. But one of person on this forum say 2 comm ports. I am not shure it's a reality. It's important. if its'good, prehaps it's possible to make a release of firmware. If not, a release of firmware need a change of station.

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #70 on: March 23, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »
pschnell,

As VaJim mentioned, the 2810 uses a USB stick on the PC for the communications link between the two.  I was referring to this communications link being a 2-way link. The communications are in both directions because when you make changes in the HeavyWeather program the changes are uploaded to the console. As I was saying above in reply 67, I believe it may be possible for a firmware upgrade because of this 2-way comms capability. Does this clear things up? Sorry for any confusion.

Dan
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 07:53:54 PM by DanS »

Offline pschnell

« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2010, 02:11:50 PM »
Hello all and specily to Dans,

Now I anderstand. The Usb connexion is two ways connexions.
I have contacted LCT, and they say me, that now it's not possible to do an upgrate of firmware.

It's for me the last post. since tree days, I have send my station to LCT. This that it has agreed to reimburse me. So no station since Friday.

I regret that this company has not make the effort to advance the problems of this new station.

Now, I search for a new station.

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #72 on: April 06, 2010, 05:18:31 PM »
This doesn't sound good.  But it does sound like Lacrosse! :-x

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2010, 07:38:13 PM »
Thank you for the update pschnell. It's too bad that they are letting it go because it is a nice station when it's corrected and running like it was intended to (especially for the price).

At least I'm happy to hear they refunded your money and hope your next station gives no problems.

Cheers!

Dan

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Well I called Lacrosse this afternoon.  I explained to the rep that I had called back in Feb about the rain gauge problem.  She told me to send in the the thermo sensor and said that they would 'probably' replace it.  I took down the mailing and info and was ready to send it off tomorrow.  I figured since she was talking replacement and not investigate or repair, they may have a real solution, besides it's not like I would be without a station.  After returning from the back yard where I retrieved the thermo sensor, I then happened to check my email and found a note from Lacrosse.  At first I thought it was the customary follow up email.  This note said to NOT send in the thermo sensor, but they would go ahead and send me a replacement.  This would correct the rain fall problem.  The note went on to say that the replacement would not be available until September. :sad:

I've learned to be patient with this station.  More to follow.

anything