Author Topic: Acu-rite internet bridge question.  (Read 21054 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Acu-rite internet bridge question.
« on: August 28, 2011, 06:56:03 PM »
After hearing about the new bridge, I'm wanting one for my wireless floating pond thermometer. One thing that confuses me, is this an internet bridge or a computer interface bridge? With little knowledge of this item, I'm confused about it. I really don't need the internet for water temp and perfer not to use the internet if this is just a computer interface modual.
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
Re: Acu-rite internet bridge question.
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 09:13:47 PM »
The USB version of the bridge sounds like it's the one you want- it will connect your pond thermometer to your PC and allow you to use the data several ways:

1. Local software will collect data from bridge and display locally
2. Output data from your Pc into a data file
3. If your PC is internet connected, you can choose to upload data to aculink, wunderground, or one of several other destinations still in the works.

There are lots of options for our new systems, so make sure and ask more questions if you need more info. We will be releasing more marketing info as we get closer to launch that will have a more concise listing of the new connectivity options and products.

Thanks!

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:41:12 AM »
The USB version of the bridge sounds like it's the one you want- it will connect your pond thermometer to your PC and allow you to use the data several ways:

1. Local software will collect data from bridge and display locally
2. Output data from your Pc into a data file
3. If your PC is internet connected, you can choose to upload data to aculink, wunderground, or one of several other destinations still in the works.

There are lots of options for our new systems, so make sure and ask more questions if you need more info. We will be releasing more marketing info as we get closer to launch that will have a more concise listing of the new connectivity options and products.

Thanks!
Can I buy additional sensors like wind, temp/humid, or rain gauge or your 5n1 and build a computer only professional weather station?

I am a storm chaser.

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:02:43 AM »
Will I be able to upload the data to my own website using webtags as can be done in VWS and Weather Display?

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:38:47 PM »
Yes, you will be able to purchase sensors separately and build a computer/handset only weather station. The available sensors at this time are:

5in1 (temp, humidity, wind speed, wind direction, rainfall- fan aspirated standard)
3in1 (temp, humidity, wind speed)
basic tower sensor (temp, humidity)
rainfall (compact AND big mouth collectors)
water temperature (floating for pool, spa, and pond)

Legacy sensors (some were paired with the old 594 system):
wind speed and direction only sensor
solar shielded temp and humidity sensor

the sensor selection will likely grow in the near future- but as of now, we have a pretty good selection of core weather sensors.

As far as embedding or utilizing the data in other ways, like on a website- we are going to be releasing some info on the bridge software for "hobbyists" that may help you do what you want to do- this will not be broadly done as we do not want too many folks poking around if they do not know what they are poking through #-o. That will likely be after beta, etc, and after the initial production run to make sure it will be useful and relevant info.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2011, 11:54:53 PM »
Sorry it took me so long to come back. The Legacy wind sensors, has the accuracy been kinked out? I remember that's the wind unit that gave me trouble when I had the 00594W accuracy got worse the higher the wind.

(0-5) No problem

(6-8) -2Mph

(9-12) -4 Mph

(13-17) -8 Mph

You see, one thing I remember about that wind sensor is the higher the wind was the more inaccurate it was. This explains why the wind storm that produced several tornados never registered higher than 17 Mph the moment before the storm took it out. I mean come on, that storm had to be huffing and puffing 50-60 Mph winds. But like you said, that wind sensor was only one bad apple. Everything else works fine. I'd love to get that PC link for my floating thermometer. It's tough that the display only has a 3 day memory span. I use the pond thermometer to adjust fish feeding and planting. Aside from a weather watcher I love water gardening. That pond thermometer serves the same use as a garden thermometer.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:57:01 PM by mckTXaws »

I am a storm chaser.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 01:35:44 AM »
With the oldest 594 sensors, that turned out to be an issue with several batches- turns out it was a multitude of problems affecting the mid-high wind speeds. We are constantly evaluating and improvimg whatever we find out about our products,there is no finish line. The newest (rev 5) wind speed sensor-packaged with the 00595 is much improved over any of the 00594 wind sensors, although obviously not quite as sensitive or robust as our 3n1 or 5n1. The seals are improved, there are now 2 sealed anemometer bearings spaced further apart to prevent shatf wobble (and the bearimgs can be replaced easier), the wind cups and attatchment points have been revised molding for better strength and less flex at higher speeds-preventing wobble even more. The small reed switch that counts the "rpm's" has been upgraded and affixed to the board more solidly, the uv resistance on all the plastics has been improved, the wind direction indicator and sensors have been improved as well- from water resistance to better light blockage, allowing the IR sensors to more accurately detect direction changes. And as they say.."and much, much more" ;)

We are in development on a new 00594/595 type wind only sensor, that will also connect to the aculink internet bridge.

I currently have a water temp sensor at my neighbors hot tub, connected to my aculink internet bridge- works great! I have set an alarm to send him an email/sms alert if it gets down too low in the winter (mech. Problems warning). I can also see the chart to watch the heater efficiencies- it's just cool!

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 08:14:43 AM »
Does the bridge software only work on a PC or is does it run in a browser and thus cross-platform? I have a Mac and would like to have the capability of charting data.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 10:10:49 AM »
The "local" PC software (installed on hard drive) only runs on a PC. But the Web portal is a website that will work on all browsers (tested on internet explorer, firefox and safari- so your Mac should be fine). The web portal gives you the ability to chart and compare, so you shold be set!

Thanks

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 07:44:39 PM »
Is there any way to get a manual for this bridge for us to be reviewing?

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 10:35:29 PM »
I cannot officially release it yet, I will post a link to all the info when it is all ready for production. We are a few weeks away from having a complete system available at a major retailer- online sales initially.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 08:01:13 AM »
I won't need a complete system as I already have the 1015. I'll only need the bridge. When will it be sold separately?

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 10:56:38 AM »
Should be available separately around the same time online.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 11:34:23 AM »
Is there any way to get a manual for this bridge for us to be reviewing?

The user manual is a single page and is freely available if you know where to look.  What is interesting is that each bridge has its own MAC Address so in theory it should be possible to attach to in from outside your network.

What is more worrisome for me is that the whole instrumentation line runs on 433.92 mHz, which is, amongst other things: ... the same freq as most Oregon Scientific weather stuff; the same freq as X-10 wireless and pretty much the same freq as every garage door opener in existence.

I think it is a shame Chaney did not go with a robust comm protocol.  Would not have added that much tot he cost.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:16:00 PM by Bushman »
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 01:11:42 PM »

What is more worrisome for me is that the whole instrumentation line runs on 433.92 mHz, which is, amongst other things: the same freq as channel 53 TV; the same freq as most Oregon Scientific weather stuff; the same freq as X-10 wireless and pretty much the same freq as every garage door opener in existence.

Uh, ch 53 in the US is704-710 MHz. The lowest UHF channel, 14, is at 470.

OTOH, 433 MHz is in the 70 cm amateur radio band, and the military uses 420-450 MHz for some radar.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 01:15:26 PM »
You are correct - forget the tv channel issue. 
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 01:04:55 AM »
Yes, the bridge manual for installation is "out there"' just a quick start type manual. We actually have a sharing setup built into the web portal that will allow ussrs to follow other peoples bridges by inputting the mac address of the bridge you wish to "follow"' on the flip side- we give the option to each user if they wish to share their sensor data in the first place. Gives both sharing and privacy concerns the proper attention and options.

We have looked at alternate frequencies and have done lots of testing, our specific 433 protocol is really very good- I definately challenge you to give our 433 a try. I currently have a competitor model 915 sensor and our 433 sensor placed in my deep freezer in my garage, about 75 feet from my bridge-and through 5 walls! The 915 is not connecting to it's display, and our 433 is connected fine, low signal strength, but connected with no interuption- real world tests pan out well for our 433. I stand behind it- wspecially on our 5-in-1 sensors and our other newer sensors, much improved protocol.

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 07:38:50 AM »
Yes, the bridge manual for installation is "out there"' just a quick start type manual.

I saw that one. I was looking for a more detailed version. Maybe photos of the web portal display (browser and iphone versions). More detailed info on setup - especially now that you mention sharing and privacy settings. If one doesn't "share" can they still get the data on their iphone?

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 10:12:22 AM »
Yes, you can still get your info on smartphone- sharing is a separate option altogether-

An example, I gave my MAC address to one of my neighbors so he can look at the same info. He just has to create an account, go to "follow my friend's bridge" and input my mac address.

The Acurite.com website will have allot of information about the system when it all goes live this month, and the packaged system will be available at some online retailers next week. I do not have authorization to share the images yet, as we still have agreements in the works with some folks.

I can share the app store link with you, has some preview images of the app and some more consolidated info about the smartphone app features:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/acu-link/id453478245?mt=8

Check it out, and let me know if you have any questions, I will do my best to answer them without getting into trouble here  ;)

Offline jeeptj5

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 12:01:21 AM »
A question for Rhino:

I just received the 1050C from Costco, and the bridge appears to be ethernet only.  I did not get any software with the unit.  Is there any way to connect to this unit locally (inside my local network), because I will be in an area that I may not have internet access???

If local PC software is available, where is it available?

Thanks?

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 01:25:59 AM »
I believe that since it is direct to your router, and they rely on mybackyardweather for viewing the data, there may not be any local software to install. If you were hoping to connect it to a laptop or something that is on WiFi or no direct access to router (like dorm or apartment?) I suspect you'll have to make your own network off of your pc/laptop's ethernet rj45 jack and connect it to that, because something will have to assign it an IP address that can get outside.  Maybe read the documents HERE to get a better idea of installation and configuration. but this all probably came in the box.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 10:00:43 AM »
The bridge that is packaged with the 01050C is an ethernet bridge, the USB one will do what you want more directly. Some of our Beta testers are extremely tech savvy and have figured out ways working with our software guys to access the ethernet bridge data locally- we will have an "SDK" of sorts to unofficially release at some point that will give you instructions on how to do this as well with an ethernet bridge.

Otherwise, the USB display console OR USB bridge sounds like it is more what you are looking for as an out of the box solution. It will be available next week sometime I believe. I will post an update on this site when these other products become available.

Offline ceer123

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2011, 08:43:04 AM »
I just posted a new topic on how to get the data locally and to weather-display and wunderground.

http://www.wxforum.net/index.php?topic=13097.0

Offline hdtvluvr

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2011, 06:56:53 PM »
Should be available separately around the same time online.

Haven't been able to find the bridge only. Is it available?

Offline Rhino

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 10:36:45 AM »
I am working with our web team to get it active asap on the website \:D/

Thanks for the patience!!