Author Topic: CWOP Update  (Read 7359 times)

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
CWOP Update
« on: February 09, 2008, 09:08:57 AM »
Feb 07, 2008 - The author of the software package used by all the APRS-IS servers has asked that all CWOP members use a server designation of "cwop.aprs.net" and port 14580. This changes earlier recommendations made here. Specifically, members are asked to no longer use "rotate.aprs.net" and to not use individual server names. The packet rate recommendation under item # 1 of the CWOP FAQ remains unchanged. Any changes to CWOP recommendations will be posted here.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

blackjack52

Re: CWOP Update
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 01:27:02 PM »
So, we switch back to 10 min interval?

Offline anchorageweather

• Forecaster
    • http://eetee.us/station/station.php
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 03:44:21 PM »
Feb 07, 2008 - The author of the software package used by all the APRS-IS servers has asked that all CWOP members use a server designation of "cwop.aprs.net" and port 14580. This changes earlier recommendations made here. Specifically, members are asked to no longer use "rotate.aprs.net" and to not use individual server names. The packet rate recommendation under item # 1 of the CWOP FAQ remains unchanged. Any changes to CWOP recommendations will be posted here.

Well now they have something else  #-o :

Feb 09, 2008 - This graph shows the bytes/CWstation/hour on APRS-IS since the start of the year. On Jan 19 (hour 433), e-mails were sent to about 150 CW stations who were sending too many packets, and the bytes/hour started to decrease as people reduced their packet rate. As more CWOP members reduced their packet rate, this reduction continued to Feb 04:03UTC (hour 819) with a value of about 800 bytes/hour. Then, without notice, the operator of servers third and fourth removed them and the bytes/hour decreased because packets (and bytes) were not reaching APRS-IS. This continued until Feb 06:12 (hour 876) when servers third and fourth were returned and the value returned to about 800 bytes/hour. However, the next day, Feb 07:06, the same servers were removed again and the bytes/hour dropped again, but not as far this time because Gerry Creager (AP009) was working to bring another APRS server online for CWOP use. Last night, Feb09:08 (hour944), Gerry got everything working fairly reliably and the bytes/hour value is back to about 800. All CWOP members are encouraged to use "cwop.aprs.net" with either port 14580 or port 23 to reach Gerry's server and to follow the recommendations of item #1 of the CWOP FAQ.

Should we change our server IP's or not?

Sincerely,

Confused

South of the Tracks, Anchorage, KY

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 04:03:40 PM »
Christ, it's getting to the point where I might just start sending it to my mom. It will more then likely get there faster.

They really need to get their act together before they get no traffic. But then again, that may be what they want in the first place.

I haven't changed anything except my packet upload times and won't until they make a final decision on exactly what they want and where they want it. Anything else is just chasing tails.

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

blackjack52

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 05:21:15 PM »
Before any major changes are made to anything, you 1st have to determine what you want to change; vice do this, now do this.
It's starting to sound like a military operation.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 06:12:51 PM »
It says use this  as the server for now.
All CWOP members are encouraged to use "cwop.aprs.net" with either port 14580 or port 23 to reach Gerry's server and to follow the recommendations of item #1 of the CWOP FAQ.

It says that in both notices.

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 07:52:13 PM »
I'm sure glad I send mine out over RF. :)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 08:39:03 PM »
I'm sure glad I send mine out over RF. :)

Show off... :lol:

I switched VPLive to manual and to cwop.aprs.net tonight when I got home from work to see what would happen.  So far it is still working like it has all along other than I see CWOP-1 in the list now occasionally which I did not see before.  I think that is one of the new CWOP servers Gerry is putting into operation.  I think he has solved the problems or at least part of them he was having earlier in the day with it.

http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/rawwx.cgi?call=CW3403
« Last Edit: February 09, 2008, 08:42:36 PM by Mark / Ohio »
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline Jim's Wx Sta

• Weather Winchester Va
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2008, 02:18:56 PM »
I only upload to CWOP every 30 minutes.  Last week about half my report attempts failed using the defaulted rotate.  I switched to the recommended cwop address Friday evening and have had no failures since.
Jim
Winchester, Va 
"Winchester Weather"

Offline edpnjax

• RiverCityWeather.Net
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2008, 06:51:51 PM »
I'm glad that Ocala keeps the rest of us informed!!! =D>

I always forget to see what those folks are up to and what they want us to do this week.
Emmett

Weather for Jacksonville / St Johns FL
Davis VP2 Plus w/24hr FARS | Live Weather | Boltek / NexStorm | GRLevel3

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 04:05:46 PM »
For anyone wondering what servers to use, here it is.
http://www.wxqa.com/servers2use.html

Offline wmiler

• Contributor
    • http://www.wmiler.org/
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 06:20:42 PM »
Russ Chadwick at NOAA is sending out a mass email:

There are currently 6437 registered CWOP members and there are e-mail addresses for 6305 of them.  An e-mail to each of those addresses giving information on changing to different servers will be sent out during the next hour or so.

Russ

Correction – It will take 14 hours to send all of the e-mails.

anything