Author Topic: Script to Display Hourly Regional Weather Roundups (RWR's)  (Read 2549 times)

Offline gwwilk

• Southeast Lincoln Weather
  • Forecaster
    • SouthEast Lincoln, NE Weather
Script to Display Hourly Regional Weather Roundups (RWR's)
« on: March 06, 2018, 01:30:39 PM »
A couple of weeks Tom (tmabell) issued a challenge of sorts to come up with a script to display the Hourly RWR's.  His old script from Curly wasn't working correctly.  I innocently wandered in to take a look at it, and next thing I knew I was hooked by the challenge these RWR's present.  It turns out 'tain't simple as you will see if you take a look at just the installation instructions in the main script, 'wxroundupsbystate-area.php':

Code: [Select]
// Enter Default Station
$state = "NE";
/* Setting the $state code:
If you reside in a state that's included in the $stateArray, just use the two letter abbreviation for your $state default.
Say, for example, you live in Ohio.  Then you would probably want to use OH as your $state. If you live in Indiana, Kentucky,
Oregon, or Washington you may select either the state abbreviation or the 5 letter $oddWFOs designation as your $state.
Say you live in Oregon.  You can use OR, or an oddWFOs code such as 'KFDT' (Pendleton) as your $state.

However, if you reside in a state that's included in the $stateAreas array, you will NEED to select as your default $state
one of the 5, 6, or 7 letter codes listed under your state in the $stateAreas array.  For example, say you
live in Texas near Dallas.  You would then probably want to use RWRTX as your $state.  This is the Fort Worth code.
When residing in a state that appears in the $stateAreas array selecting the two letter state abbreviation as your $state
WILL PRODUCE AN ERROR and no RWR will display on initial script load.

The $stateArray contains states without multiple areas or with only one added $oddWFOs entry.
$stateArray = array(
'AK'=>'Alaska',
'AZ'=>'Arizona',
'AR'=>'Arkansas',
'CO'=>'Colorado',
'DE'=>'Delaware',
'HI'=>'Hawaii',
'ID'=>'Idaho',
'IL'=>'Illinois',
'IN'=>'Indiana',
'KY'=>'Kentucky',
'MI'=>'Michigan',
'MS'=>'Mississippi',
'NE'=>'Nebraska',
'NV'=>'Nevada',
'OH'=>'Ohio',
'OK'=>'Oklahoma',
'OR'=>'Oregon',
'PR'=>'Peurto Rico',
'VA'=>'Virginia',
'WA'=>'Washington',
'WV'=>'West Virginia',
'WY'=>'Wyoming'
);

The $stateAreas array contains states that have multiple areas which need to be displayed
$stateAreas = array(
'AL'=>array('RWRAL'=>'Birmingham','RWRHUN'=>'Huntsville','RWRMOB'=>'Mobile'),
'CA'=>array('RWRCA'=>'Sacramento','RWRSGX'=>'San Diego','RWRNV1'=>'Reno, NV'),
'CT'=>array('RWRBOX1'=>'Boston','RWROKX1'=>'New York, NY'),
'DC'=>array('RWRLWX1'=>'Baltimore, MD','RWRAKQ1'=>'Wakefield, VA'),
'FL'=>array('RWRMLB'=>'Melbourne','RWRKEY'=>'Key West','RWRFL'=>'Tampa Bay'),
'GA'=>array('RWRGA'=>'Atlanta','RWRCHS1'=>'Charleston, SC'),
'GM'=>array('RWRGUM'=>'Guam','RWRPQ'=>'Marianas/Micronesia'),
'IA'=>array('RWRIA'=>'Des Moines','RWREAX1'=>'Kansas City, MO'),
'KS'=>array('RWRKS'=>'Goodland','RWREAX'=>'Kansas City','RWRGLD'=>'Goodland Area'),
'LA'=>array('RWRSHV'=>'Shreveport','RWRLCH'=>'Lake Charles','RWRLA'=>'New Orleans'),
'MA'=>array('RWRBOX'=>'Boston','RWROKX2'=>'New York, NY','RWRGYX1'=>'Gray, ME'),
'MD'=>array('RWRLWX'=>'Baltimore','RWRPHI1'=>'Mount Holly, NJ','RWRAKQ2'=>'Wakefield, VA'),
'ME'=>array('RWRBOX2'=>'Boston, MA','RWRGYX'=>'Gray'),
'MN'=>array('RWRFSD1'=>'Sioux Falls, SD','RWRMN'=>'Twin Cities'),
'MO'=>array('RWRMO'=>'Springfield','RWREAX2'=>'Kansas City'),
'MT'=>array('RWRGGW'=>'Glasgow','RWRMT'=>'Great Falls'),
'NV'=>array('RWRNV'=>'Reno','RWRAZ1'=>'Phoenix, AZ'),
'NH'=>array('RWRBOX3'=>'Boston','RWRGYX2'=>'Gray, ME'),
'NJ'=>array('RWROKX3'=>'New York, NY','RWRPHI2'=>'Mount Holly, NJ'),
'NM'=>array('RWRNM'=>'Albuquerque','RWRAZ2'=>'Phoenix, AZ'),
'NC'=>array('RWRRAH'=>'Raleigh','RWRAKQ3'=>'Wakefield, VA'),
'ND'=>array('RWRBIS'=>'Bismarck','RWRND'=>'Grand Forks','RWRFGF'=>'Grand Forks Area'),
'NY'=>array('RWROKX'=>'New York','RWRALY'=>'Albany','RWRBGM'=>'Binghamton','RWRBOX4'=>'Boston, MA','RWRPHI3'=>'Philadelphia/Mount Holly','RWRGYX3'=>'Gray, ME'),
'PA'=>array('RWRPHI'=>'Philadelphia','RWRCTP'=>'State College','RWROKX4'=>'New York, NY'),
'RI'=>array('RWRBOX5'=>'Boston, MA','RWROKX5'=>'New York, NY'),
'SC'=>array('RWRCAE'=>'Columbia','RWRCHS'=>'Charleston, SC'),
'SD'=>array('RWRFSD'=>'Sioux Falls Area','RWRSD'=>'Sioux Falls'),
'TN'=>array('RWRTN'=>'Memphis','RWRMEG'=>'Memphis CWA'),
'TX'=>array('RWRMAF'=>'Midland','RWRSJT'=>'San Angelo','RWRTX'=>'Fort Worth'),
'UT'=>array('RWRUT'=>'Salt Lake City','RWRAZ3'=>'Phoenix Area'),
'VT'=>array('RWRBTV'=>'Burlington','RWRBOX6'=>'Boston, MA','RWRGYX4'=>'Gray, ME'),
'WI'=>array('RWRGRB'=>'Green Bay','RWRWI'=>'Milwaukee')
);

The $oddWFOs array contains WFO's that have RWR's that aren't accessed by just the $stateArray or the $stateAreas array
$oddWFOs = array(
'KIWX'=>'Northern Indiana',
'KLUB'=>'Lubbock',
'KLOX'=>'Los Angeles',
'KEKA'=>'Eureka',
'KJKL'=>'Jackson', // KY
'KOHX'=>'Nashville',
'KMHX'=>'Eastern North Carolina',
'KILM'=>'Wilmington',
'KPDT'=>'Pendleton',
'KOTX'=>'Spokane'
);
*/

Tom thinks he wants a list of all of the recent RWR's displayed at the bottom of the page, but until I can catch my breath this isn't happening.  Instead there's current a link at the bottom of the page to the appropriate NWS page where these may be ferreted out.

The down side to this is that the current NWS RWR's may go the way of the dodo at some point in the future.  Until then I learned a lot about array manipulation and had fun while I was doing it.

You can pick up the script from my scripts page, and view it from there as well.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 01:36:41 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
Re: Script to Display Hourly Regional Weather Roundups (RWR's)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:43:25 PM »
Jerry handled the "challenge" mightily!  It's a great script due to his never quit attitude.  I can safely state that the rwr's are here to stay but the source for them may need to be revisited in the future.

Thanks Jerry!!  Great work!

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 05:11:24 PM »
Tom suggested changing the disabled options in the state dropdown from gray to another color.  Accordingly I've created a $color option setting in the main script where you can set the color of your choice.  HTML-valid/CSS colors work with this option, which is currently set to 'darkmagenta'.

A new zip is available as version 20180306b under the same zip name.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 05:15:40 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 10:24:21 AM »
Tom pointed out that those states without sub-headers, e.g. AZ, NE, WY, etc., weren't given the same treatment as those with sub-headers, e.g NY, MA, CA, etc.  I worried about lengthening an already overly long option list so I hadn't done anything about this issue.  Prodded by Tom, I created an option, $allHeaders, in the main script that displays all of the states with headers.  When '$allHeaders = true' it doesn't seem to add much length to the already extensive option  drop down list.

The new version 20180307 is available, and you can view it there.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 10:48:12 AM »
Jerry - nice script. However, I found a typo in the drop-down list for Puerto Rico. The selection item is currently spelled "Peurto Rico" which is incorrect.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 11:20:02 AM »
Jerry - nice script. However, I found a typo in the drop-down list for Puerto Rico. The selection item is currently spelled "Peurto Rico" which is incorrect.
Dyslexia strikes again!  Thanks for the help.  The includes file has been corrected in a new zip.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline Jasiu

• Forecaster
    • LexMAWeather
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 12:19:46 PM »
Just want to note under the "dodo" possibility that RWR is available under the new API, if/when we ever get there. I tried both NE and BOX (Boston) and it worked for me.

https://api.weather.gov/products/types/RWR/locations/BOX
This is a two-step process. The first fetch gives you the ID you need to fetch and then has to be followed up with a second fetch.

E.g.,

https://api.weather.gov/products/e106a28a-b80a-44c3-b7b5-4de829bb3565
FWIW I've been using the new API data for forecast discussion, public info statements, and hazardous weather outlooks for months and it hasn't been anywhere near as flaky as the forecasts.
https://lexmaweather.info
On Mastodon: @LexMAWeather@toot.community

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 12:40:40 PM »
Just want to note under the "dodo" possibility that RWR is available under the new API, if/when we ever get there. I tried both NE and BOX (Boston) and it worked for me.

https://api.weather.gov/products/types/RWR/locations/BOX
This is a two-step process. The first fetch gives you the ID you need to fetch and then has to be followed up with a second fetch.

E.g.,

https://api.weather.gov/products/e106a28a-b80a-44c3-b7b5-4de829bb3565
FWIW I've been using the new API data for forecast discussion, public info statements, and hazardous weather outlooks for months and it hasn't been anywhere near as flaky as the forecasts.
That's a whole new sandbox to play in using JSON!  It would take considerable revision to use the https://api.weather.gov/products/types/ interface.  Someday...
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:41:53 PM »
I have a rather odd ball situation here that's probably not that odd for those well versed in code. Anyway, I have all the files in a separate directory in my root. That might be a problem but the file I need to include on my template calls just fine that way. It's when that file is included into my template that all goes bad.  Here is works fine http://www.smythweather.net/HourlyRoundup/wxroundupsbystate-area.php  but when it is included on my template page it does not http://www.smythweather.net/wxroundup.php  I know it's probably an easy fix for most but apparently not me #-o  After all I guess LMR is where I belong LOL!

BTW  I forgot to mention exactly what the trouble is ... I can't get the script to change locations

Thanks for any assistance !

-wayne
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 03:44:26 PM by W Thomas »

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline tmabell

• Forecaster
    • Mishawaka Weather
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
Perhaps change
include("inc-roundup-by-state-area.php"); in wxroundup.php

to this:

include("HourlyRoundup/inc-roundup-by-state-area.php");
Jerry can tell you for sure but some change there should fix it.

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 04:45:29 PM »
After exhausting all of my ideas trying to place this script into a sub-directory and getting no help from the 'console', I've given up.  ](*,) This script was developed in my root directory, and appears to only run there.  Sorry!  It's only 2 files cluttering it up, anyway.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 07:27:54 PM by gwwilk »
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 08:27:37 PM »
Thanks everyone! I will give these a shot and worst case move the files to root which is not really a problem. I did it with the separate directory for organization purposes anyway  :-P
I'll report my findings!

wayne

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 08:47:12 PM »
Thanks everyone! I will give these a shot and worst case move the files to root which is not really a problem. I did it with the separate directory for organization purposes anyway  :-P
I'll report my findings!

wayne

Thanks for all your efforts Jerry! Turns out that moving these to my "root" took care of the operational issues. I just need to figure out a way to better align the file on my template and everything will be perfect.

Thanks Again!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 09:15:49 PM »

...I just need to figure out a way to better align the file on my template and everything will be perfect.

Thanks Again!
Have you tried the $leftMargin setting?  That's what it's for, and hopefully it will do the job.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 09:36:28 PM »
No I didn't Jerry. I forgot to do that.
Thanks I'll give it a shot!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2018, 01:07:07 PM »
I was able to implement the script without issue.  Looks great!  Thanks for the work.

OK, now what does WCI ## mean in the remarks area?  Tried doing a Google search and couldn't find a table.  Only a ton of actual reports with WCI in it.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2018, 01:13:38 PM »
I was able to implement the script without issue.  Looks great!  Thanks for the work.

OK, now what does WCI ## mean in the remarks area?  Tried doing a Google search and couldn't find a table.  Only a ton of actual reports with WCI in it.
Wind Chill Index
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2018, 01:22:31 PM »
Ahh, makes sense, sort of.  There is always a WCI going on in North Dakota in the winter.  So I'm not sure why some report it and some don't.

Oh well, I have an answer!  Thanks.
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2018, 01:25:32 PM »
A couple of days ago I was able to figure it out after I compared the numbers listed under TMP vs. the WCI numbers.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2018, 01:27:32 PM »
I noticed "most" of the ones that aren't reporting WCI are calm.  So that makes sense.  But there are 3-4 locations that are skipping it.

Hey, I have a nice list of more reporting temps than my regular METAR page.  So I'm happy.  I'm probably the only one that will be looking at the page. 

Offline MackerelSky

• Contributor
    • McKean County Weather, Smethport Pa.
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2018, 01:07:43 PM »
Jerry, just another fine piece of work from your end, much appreciated from this end...
Your list of scripts on SE Lincoln Weather site has grown quite large...impressive
All the Best!
Brad
http://mckeanweather.com/mwroundup.php
Mckean County Weather
Located on upper Marvin Creek
https://mckeanweather.com/
Davis VP2 + fars
Cumulus 1.9.4-b1092

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 09:01:45 PM »
Once again Thomas Abell has prodded me to create an alternate script that links to the appropriate page where past RWR's for that site can be selected.  My old script linked only to a long display of prior RWR's.  The sites for which these pages are available are essentially the same, just organized a little differently and not quite as granular.  This script is simpler and loads much faster.  I've switched to it on my menu system.

There's a switch in the main script, $siteOrder, that allows selection of my original list alphabetized by site (City, State) versus Tom's suggested list alphabetized by state.  I'm using the latter.

Thanks, Thomas!  :-)
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline MackerelSky

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2018, 02:26:32 PM »
Hey Jerry,
Hope things are well...
Just running around my site checking on a few scripts that seemed to have quit working and wonder if you know that the
https://www.gwwilkins.org/wxroundupsbystate-area.php is coming up blank, as is mine...
http://mckeanweather.com/mwroundup.php.
Getting this error on my test site.
Undefined variable: discussion in C:blahblah\wx\inc-roundup-by-state-area.php on line 592

No rush on this end by any means, just wanted to throw it out there...
Brad
Mckean County Weather
Davis VP2 + fars
Cumulus 1.9.4-b1092

Offline gwwilk

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2018, 02:47:51 PM »
Hey Jerry,
Hope things are well...
Just running around my site checking on a few scripts that seemed to have quit working and wonder if you know that the
https://www.gwwilkins.org/wxroundupsbystate-area.php is coming up blank, as is mine...
http://mckeanweather.com/mwroundup.php.
Getting this error on my test site.
Undefined variable: discussion in C:blahblah\wx\inc-roundup-by-state-area.php on line 592

No rush on this end by any means, just wanted to throw it out there...
Brad
The currently active script is https://www.gwwilkins.org/wxroundupsbysite.php

The rundups by state-area never panned out, so this is the current main script while this is the current includes script.
Regards, Jerry Wilkins
gwwilk@gmail.com

Offline MackerelSky

• Contributor
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2018, 02:50:29 PM »
Thanks Jerry, should have searched a little longer...
All the Best!
Brad
Mckean County Weather
Davis VP2 + fars
Cumulus 1.9.4-b1092