Author Topic: Need advice on what to buy  (Read 2795 times)

Offline Skywatch

• !!Warning!! I'm a Skywarn certified storm spotter and insane like one!
  • Forecaster
  • Hakuna Matata (Timon and Pumba)
Need advice on what to buy
« on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:09 PM »
I'm like a kid in a toy store who must have everything. I've been playing with the idea of integrating lightning detection into my collection of "weather toys". I need some guidance. I've done some reading on detectors like Boltek Blitzortung etc. I've heard much talk about Blitzortung but don't know where to buy or how pricey these setups are. They look complicated.

On the other hand Boltek looks like a plug and play setup which I like.

Archer Trading Post sells the Storm Tracker for 499$. I'm leaning in that direction.

After looking at Weather Display looks like there are settings for Boltek Nexstorm and other lightning detection systems which is another thing I want is to be a contributor to Wunderground's lightning network. I read this requires a Boltek detector with Nexstorm software and would have to be setup with Strikestar lightning network.

I'm going off to college next week so if I do anything most likely won't be until Christmas. I have plenty of time to get educated and informed on my decisions. 
I live in an apartment and for the moment am not a home weather watcher.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline DaleReid

• Forecaster
    • Weather at Eau Claire, WI
Re: Need advice on what to buy
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
All this fun stuff to do.

Enjoy your semester.  What you studying?

I have had a Boltek PCI card for many years.  I have the NexStorm and Anisoquasi (sp?) software both.  I also used the Boltek 'out of the box'.

I have WD and used it to just upload an .jpg image to my wx site.  I don't share or send data off to the other services.

You don't HAVE to join strikstar as far as I know, my Boltek runs just fine.

I've had more problems plinking with the software to get displays as I like them, and have had more problems with later versions of the softwares not showing nice groupings of strikes passing by.  What I mean is once a storm gets so close, the display does a lot of ghosting with strikes indicating 180 degrees from their true position, and also having the strikes make a donut ring around my location, when in truth that really wasn't happening.

I have diddled with the software when we've had the rare storm pass by in the last couple months.  And more this spring, and while I would still get a Boltek and use the native display, have lost a bit of faith in the 'improved' software offerings.

Maybe some of the other users here can help with their experience, especially if they have newer systems and have the time to tweak the software packages.  I like the counters, the strike indicators, and all that goes with it and the native display, while rudimentary, isn't bad. 

Hope this helps some. 

PS The Blitz is a single point receiver and gives NONE of the indications by itself.  You get a strike indicator as a blip on an LED or buzzer, but the data depend upon others in the country you're in to send data to the servers in Germany and then they create the maps after digesting all the data from as many receivers as they can.  I've only started dabbling in this, but you can go to USAToa.org to see more.

I'm getting started on building my reciever this weekend and getting my antennas wound.  Love twiddling with build it projects and this is one for soldering and rolling your own antennas, etc.

Good luck at school.  Dale
ECWx.info
&
ECWx.info/t/index.php

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 10:54:58 PM »
Thanks.

In college I'm taking weight lifting for PE credit which is something I''m already familiar with. And I'm taking learning style course which teaches about how different individuals learn and how disabilities like Asberger Syndrome works (which I've been diagnosed).

Anyway sounds like Boltek is the way to go. I did notice however the PCI card doesn't look like it will fit my HP Pavilion. I took apart a dead one of those yesterday and noticed the connector inside the computer was reversed to how the Boltek PCI looks to be installed. In reading the description on the Boltek web site looks like it was built for IBM computers. Don't know who uses those. The LD-250-350 have USB option but for that price looks to be out of reach.

Strikestar isn't something I have to join but I want to join. Same reason I send to Wunderground. Not that I have to but because I want to. The idea of being one of a few stations monitoring lightning is what's got me determined to proceed.

This weather hobby is addicting.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline linuxfreak

• Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
  • Senior Contributor
  • Wink, wink!
    • Hamilton Central Mountain Weather
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 05:45:10 AM »
I did notice however the PCI card doesn't look like it will fit my HP Pavilion. I took apart a dead one of those yesterday and noticed the connector inside the computer was reversed to how the Boltek PCI looks to be installed. In reading the description on the Boltek web site looks like it was built for IBM computers. Don't know who uses those.

Sounds like a PCIe x16 slot you were looking at, you might have to look for a system from around 2005 area to get a few straight PCI slots. The x16 type slot was meant for video cards, so facing the back of the machine the leftmost would be a x16 then working to the right there might be 3-4 PCI with maybe 1 or 2 PCIe x1 "mini slots" (usually for NIC's and modems).

George
George
Davis VP2/FARS, VVP, WD, WL, WSWin, Cumulus, NexStorm, StrikeStar, NSLog, XPort(GPS), WASP2, DigitalAtmosphere, ScannerCast(WUradio), Intel Atom N330 dual-core, 2Gig ram, Windows XP Home SP3  #-o
CWOP - DW3112, PWS & WU - IONHAMIL2, AWEKAS - 5112, COWN, WML - WD01901

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2013, 09:20:37 AM »

.... I did notice however the PCI card doesn't look like it will fit my HP Pavilion. I took apart a dead one of those yesterday and noticed the connector inside the computer was reversed to how the Boltek PCI looks to be installed.

What model Pavilion?  Most of the ones that I have looked at are fairly "standard" PCI slots.

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 10:10:37 AM »
It's a p7-1236s.

I am a storm chaser.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 10:20:48 AM »
It's a p7-1236s.

Oh.

Expansion Slots:

1 PCI Express x16 (Gen2.0)
    3 PCI Express x1 (Gen2.0)
    1 PCI Express Mini Card x1

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03135925&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en#N506

Offline Skywatch

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2013, 11:16:02 AM »
I've decided to shoot for the LD-250 or 350. From reading the description these connect through a simple USB cable. Nexstorm is something I want to add to to the detector so I can become a Strikestar location. Weather Display through Nexstorm uses the lightning data. Don't know what that would do for me but I'm interested to find out.

I've taken more hours at work to help save up for it. Archer Trading Post only seems to carry the Storm Tracker. Rainmanweather has the LD-250 for 669.99$.

By the way, I saw on the description the antenna can be mounted indoors or outdoors with the PVC enclosure. The house is comprised of wood and brick. Not sure if that would hurt the signal if the antenna were mounted inside. The PVC enclosure sells for 105$ which the same parts can be bought at Lowe's for around 10$. I read it includes 50' of cable. I could probably sneak the cable through the air conditioner's window block and mount the antenna at the end of the garage which is below my room. Don't know if that's nesessary.

I am a storm chaser.