Author Topic: Has anyone tried to use a non-Oregon Scientific sensor with the OS WMR200?  (Read 5626 times)

Offline smullins85

Has anyone ever tried to use a rain gauge made by another company with the OS WMR200? I called the OS customer support and the person said that as long as the gauge operates at 433 Mhz and follows the 2.1 protocol, it should work. They also said that I should ask the members of this forum, renowned for their intelligence, sophistication and patience, for any advice or experience in this area, so I am asking. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Not personally, but here's a list of compatible devices:

2.1 protocol
Oregon-THWR288A Water sensor
Oregon-RTGR328N Outdoor Temp-Hygro-Atomic clock
Oregon-THGR228N Inside Temp-Hygro
Oregon-THGR122NX Inside Temp-Hygro
Oregon-THGR918 Outdoor Temp-Hygro
Huger-BTHR918 Inside Temp-Hygro-Baro
Oregon-THGR918N Inside Temp-Hygro-Baro
Huger-STR918 Anemometer
Oregon-WGR918 Anemometer
Oregon-RGR126 Rain Gauge
Oregon-RGR682 Rain Gauge
Oregon-RGR918 Rain Gauge
Oregon-UV138 UV sensor
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
Interesting.  The frequency and protocol dont mean much unless the data being sent is in the exact same format (tiping rate, size of funnel, also...) I highly doubt any unit not made in the same factory as the os unit, regardless of branding will work, or at least work properly.

Anyway, if the OS rep said "as long as the gauge operates at 433 Mhz and follows the 2.1 protocol" he is really wrong.  Since the wmr100 and 200 are protocol 3.0

Bushman's list is correct for 2.1, but all those sensor would only work with the 968, not the 200 and 100.

The OS rep got one thing correct the members of this forum are "renowned for their intelligence, sophistication and patience, for any advice or experience in this area"...

Andrew

Has anyone ever tried to use a rain gauge made by another company with the OS WMR200? I called the OS customer support and the person said that as long as the gauge operates at 433 Mhz and follows the 2.1 protocol, it should work. They also said that I should ask the members of this forum, renowned for their intelligence, sophistication and patience, for any advice or experience in this area, so I am asking. Any information is greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:35:35 AM by mackbig »

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline smullins85

Thanks for the information. I bet Bushman was just listing the 2.1 protocol gauges since since I said 2.1 in my post.

I am going to send the OS station back (it's still being shipped), save up a little more money, and get a Davis VP2. I didn't notice until after I had bought the WMR200 that the rain gauge only resolves to .04 inch and I want a rain gauge that resolves to .01 inch, which the Davis VP2 does. I thought I had looked at all the specs, but I didn't do the math for the rain gauge, which is listed at 1 mm rather than in inches. Good thing I wasn't trying to land the Mars Rover or something....

anything