Author Topic: Ice Storm Jan 28, 2009  (Read 3415 times)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
Ice Storm Jan 28, 2009
« on: January 28, 2009, 11:42:45 PM »
Wee bit icy here today!  Looks to be 1/2"+.  The photos where taken before the heavy snow lasting about 3 hours and giving us 4"+ on top of the ice.  The electric went out at 10am for two hours then again at 3pm for 6 hours.  I have my fingers crossed it holds now as all it would take is some wind I think to knock it back out the way the trees are still on the lines in the area.  Melted liquid precip storm total for the two days according to my heated VP gauge is right at 1 inch.

This is our neighborhood resident hawk perched in the tree above the bird feeder looking for breakfast to fly in.  I took this through the window, he flew away when I went out.  One day he stayed in another tree at a lower level thinking he was hidden about 8 foot away from me.  But I did not have my camera.  I guess he must have known that.   #-o

Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: Ice Storm Jan 28, 2009
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 12:16:38 AM »
Looks like less than ideal driving conditions there. MSN news web page talks about that storm. You can really see the ice thickness on the tree branches in the hawk picture. Is the tower behind the bird what you have your anemometer mounted on? Did it freeze up as well with all that ice?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 12:23:23 AM by DanS »

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 01:19:39 AM »
The tower in the picture is actually my neighbor's that he's putting up for a HAM radio.  But my anemometer is mounted on a the same type of tower about 25 feet up.  Yep, it is froze.  I have lost my sanity a couple of times and climbed up there ice and all to free it in the past. 

I'm getting a little saner in old age though about doing things like that.  Trouble is my Directv dish is on the same tower just above the roof.  When they both freeze over the temptation to "fix it" is almost intolerable for me.    ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 01:50:31 AM »
hmmm, first the weather playing havoc on your weather and tv devices and now a new Ham transmitter going up next door? Are you and your neighbor good friends? Got lots of Cat5 and ferrite chokes lying around? Should be interesting soon. Hey, maybe the heat radiated from his antenna will keep your anemometer and dish/feed thawed!! :-s

Offline W Thomas

• Welcome to my area!
  • Forecaster
  • In Loving Memory Of Hooker The Weather Dog !
    • Smyth-Grayson Weather
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 07:35:58 AM »
That's some major ice you have there!
Sounds like your utility people are on the ball for your power not to have
been out longer than it was! Especially with the heavy snow right on top of that ice!

You'll have to watch out for flooding possibilities around your area when all this melts..if it's anything
like around my area!

Best Regards
     Wayne

CWOP CW8217
KVAWHITE22 Wunderground   Davis VUE &  Davis Vantage Pro 2  /   Dedicated Server
GR Level 3 ,Level 2 AE Radars  Weather Display 10.37P  Mid Atlantic Weather Network Member
SkyWarn & Spotter Network 6092

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 01:13:13 PM »
Makes up for the several weeks that some people lost power for during the wind storm from hurricane IKE...
I guess the fact that its mostly new wiring, it held up better than normal.

Andrew

Sounds like your utility people are on the ball for your power not to have
been out longer than it was! Especially with the heavy snow right on top of that ice!

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 09:22:10 PM »
I don't know what the fault was that tripped it out in the morning but I traced the afternoon and evening outage back to the substation circuit for our area.  That would have meant several hundred homes including doctor's offices, restaurants, and several apartment complexes all being dark.  So we were lucky to be part of a fix that would take a decent chunk out of the irate callers list.  I can still hear at least one generator running in the area probably due to broken line into a home.  Seen some more in town running on generator yet too.

Just checked and AEP is showing 2,449 and SCP showing 1,003 still without power in my county.  The numbers are over double that in the two counties to our SE.  That puts them about 40-60% still without power considering their lower population levels.  The only thing in their favor is more people down there heat at least in part with wood, coal and kerosene anyway.  Plus the rural folk down in the hills tend to be a more self sufficient then in this area.  They're more used to shopping once every week or two instead of running to the stores everyday like here.  ;)
Mark