Author Topic: About to purchase a Wireless Davis 6152 and Wireless Envoy  (Read 4580 times)

Offline Hookie

About to purchase a Wireless Davis 6152 and Wireless Envoy
« on: September 14, 2008, 08:14:42 PM »
After much deliberation, I am about to purchase a wireless 6152 and a wireless envoy. I am going with the wireless envoy so that I can use a computer that is located in another area of the house. I am looking for help on what software I will need with the envoy so I can upload the info. Would I still use the 6510 serial Weatherlink Internet edition? Is there something better ?  Any help is appreciated,  since my wife decided to buy me this for Christmas LAST YEAR and I keep researching I quess its time before I get the same gift @ years in a row!! lol

Online weatherforyou

• Forecaster
  • My weather is on WeatherForYou.com. Is yours?
    • http://www.weatherforyou.com
Re: About to purchase a Wireless Davis 6152 and Wireless Envoy
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:22:15 AM »
There are a number of software packages that will provide more features than the standard Weatherlink.  A list of some of the most popular ones is available at...

http://www.pwsweather.com/faqs.php#What-do-I-need-to-post-my-data-to-PWSweathercom

Some are free, some cost, all have their pluses and minuses.  Most have trial periods so you can see if they have the features you're looking for.
Joe Torsitano

Offline ncpilot

• Forecaster
    • Monkey Junction Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:43 AM »
You must buy the data logger in order to interface to a computer--consider the WeatherLink software that comes with it as being for free... just so you are aware it's not so much a choice as to whether you "buy" WeatherLink, but whether you might want to use other software in place of or in addition to WeatherLink...
Marc
Wilmington, NC
"Monkey Junction Weather"
Davis VP2 wireless, WeatherLink

Offline FishDude

• OFA Weather Web!
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 01:36:22 PM »
After much deliberation, I am about to purchase a wireless 6152 and a wireless envoy. I am going with the wireless envoy so that I can use a computer that is located in another area of the house. I am looking for help on what software I will need with the envoy so I can upload the info. Would I still use the 6510 serial Weatherlink Internet edition? Is there something better ?  Any help is appreciated,  since my wife decided to buy me this for Christmas LAST YEAR and I keep researching I quess its time before I get the same gift @ years in a row!! lol

I purchased the same rig about 2 years ago and have been very happy! The console hangs on my kitchen wall, and the Envoy sits in the basement pumping data to my weather computer. I went with a serial datalogger (to avoid any potential issues) and WD, but there are many ways to skin the cat.

Offline Hookie

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 09:12:36 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I went with the serial datalogger due to posts I have read of problems with usb. Now I just have to figure where to locate everything.

Offline tomcj2

• Forecaster
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 08:47:22 PM »
I have my console on the kitchen wall and ran CAT5 to my computer about 60 feet away.  I did so to save the cost of the Envoy.  I seldom look at the console;  it is more convenient to look at my computer in the office or living room.  I bought VWS, but in hindsight I could have started out with WeatherLink only

Davis VP2 (6163), WL 5.9.0..  VWS 14.01 p25, Panasonic HM371A camera. WU & W4U KORCANBY3, CoCoRaHS OR-CC-27

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 10:08:48 AM »
I went with just an Envoy and an ISS with no console. I get more on the PC display through VWS anyway. You will need the Data Logger and then it is up to you to decide what software you want to use to post to the web. Everyone has their favorites so I am going to kick in mine. Virtual Weather Station is one of the best due to the fact that the software is constantly being improved. Weatherview 32 is pricey but you can have page up in no time. However, updates are years and years and years...apart. Weather Display produces a nice web page but the local display is very crowded with information. I would start with VWS using their webpages and then in time switch to templates that are offered here or develop your own.