Author Topic: WUHU data  (Read 731 times)

Offline alanlehman

WUHU data
« on: December 31, 2014, 12:10:05 AM »
Hello all,
I am trying to get a weather and webcam site for my astronomy club observatory up and running. We have a very basic Lacrosse station and WUHU uploader. The data I get is just a few basic raw instrument readings. Not finding a plugin for WUHU, I grabbed the WD plugin instead because it seemed to have everything I needed.

I have WUHU configured to upload data in CSV format. I created a script to parse the CSV file and insert the applicable data into testtags.php every time it is uploaded (5 min intervals).

I'm realizing the standard templates display a lot more information than I have available. Some of it is calculated values such as hi's/low's, trends, monthly, yearly, etc. Also a lot of the almanac type info is not available and it appears I would have to write scripts to calculate much of that. Anyway, it's starting to look like a lot of work to get decent looking page. Also, it seems to be throwing out errors about missing clientraw.txt data. Not sure what that is?

Has anyone else been through this exercise or have any suggestions?  I'm concerned that I'm going at this the wrong way. Is there a way to generate testtags.php or other data format from WUHU that the scripts can read directly?

Thanks,
Alan Lehman
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 12:37:16 AM by alanlehman »

Offline CamarilloWX

• CamarilloWX
  • Senior Contributor
    • Camarillo Weather
Re: WUHU data
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 03:16:44 AM »
Alan,

Welcome to the forum.  I assume you are trying to use the Saratoga-Weather templates, if not this information may or may not apply.  I used to run a Lacrosse station and it was a little cumbersome to get it uploading to a Saratoga-Weather template website but it did work.  I used WUHU for uploading to Wunderground, CWOP, etc. but I also had it create an easyweather.dat file.  I then used Cumulus http://sandaysoft.com/  to read the easyweather.dat file and send the data up to my website.  This along with the CU plugin worked well.  Check out this thread starting at post 8 by mfrazzz http://sandaysoft.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1729.  It's definitely not an elegant solution but it does work and it minimizes the amount of custom scripts.

I should add that Cumulus does support some Lacrosse stations directly, mine was not one of them.

Eric
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 03:26:05 AM by CamarilloWX »
Eric

Offline alanlehman

Re: WUHU data
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »
Eric,
Thanks so much for the quick reply. Yes, I am using the Saratoga templates. Sorry, should have made that clear  #-o. I really appreciate the suggestion on Cumulus. I looked at Cumulus briefly before finding the Saratoga templates, but after reading the thread you referenced it seems like that may be a solution for us. I'll have to do a little more reading before jumping in.
This seemed like a simple project to start off, but like so many things it gets really messy down in the weeds!

Alan