Author Topic: One thing about New Mexico...  (Read 204240 times)

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
Re: One thing about New Mexico...
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 03:36:11 PM »
Same here. The news showed all this flooding down by the NMSU area (exit 1 I-25) later in the day while I accumulated another 0.07" or so.

At one point, it looked like our whole state was going under the Flood Watch.

And, once again, they predict heavy rain in a couple of days.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit
www.LasCruces-Weather.com   www.EastMesaWeather.com

Offline jay_hoehn

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Jay's Woodcrafts
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 03:47:57 PM »
I've had over 4 inches of rain this month up here in Mule Creek.  The Tennessee Creek behind me has been running for about 4 days now.  The hills are so green it looks like Ireland.  This is my favorite time of year.

Jay
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus
VVP
Weather Display

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 05:36:11 PM »
I've had over 4 inches of rain this month up here in Mule Creek.  The Tennessee Creek behind me has been running for about 4 days now.  The hills are so green it looks like Ireland.  This is my favorite time of year.

Jay

Oh wow you live near the AZ border.

I heard about the weather out there.
Weather in Rio Rancho, New Mexico:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2010, 12:26:16 AM »
2008 (station started 2007) was my high number of days with 100 or higher - 9 of them. Today doubled that number. 18 days of 100 or over and that's not counting those 99.9 days.

Hot in El Paso, hot in Juarez and a torrential rain/lightning storm stretching from Vado to Mesquite (about 5 miles). It was so bad, I almost parked the rag top under a bridge. The rain was cold, driving and hard hitting. Felt like hail was going to drop and the bolts were "right there".

When I got home, I only had 0.03" of rain with a 33MPH gust registered.

Pat ~ Davis VP2 6153-Weatherlink-Weather Display-StartWatch-VirtualVP-Win7 Pro-64bit

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2010, 10:18:45 AM »
In Portales for the next eight months of my life.

Yesterday night was all hot and dry and humid (70% humidity). Yuck.

Then at 2 AM this morning it started to hail and there was heavy rain. So now ENMU is flooded.

At least its only 65*F this morning. Various reports from around Portales indicate around 1-2 inches of rain fell last night.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2010, 06:15:55 PM »
Portales...? Well, at least you have that wild nite life of Clovis nearby.  :lol:

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »
Portales...? Well, at least you have that wild nite life of Clovis nearby.  :lol:

ENMU has some interesting thing called "Dawg Days" (mascot: The Greyhound)..which lasts four days. Tomorrow is the last day. Trust me, Clovis is no better than Portales.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #32 on: August 19, 2010, 01:17:39 AM »
And yet another hard driving, sideways blowing rain that amounted to a whopping 0.13"...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2010, 10:53:29 AM »
And yet another hard driving, sideways blowing rain that amounted to a whopping 0.13"...

That sucks.

We haven't had rain here in Portales yet- at least not since Sunday or Monday night (I can't remember). Now it's all hot and humid again. Ever try and breathe water?

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »
That sucks.
We haven't had rain here in Portales yet- at least not since Sunday or Monday night (I can't remember). Now it's all hot and humid again. Ever try and breathe water?
You don't know humid.  I moved from Albuquerque to Georgia 9 years ago.  In Lexington, I can't use salt shakers, they get clogged.  Sugar gets lumpy.  My doors have swollen again (it's an old house).  In NM, you can leave a slice of bread out and it turns to toast.  Opposite here; I left a box of cookies open and they got too soggy to pick up.
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:18 PM »
That sucks.
You don't know humid.  I moved from Albuquerque to Georgia 9 years ago.  In Lexington, I can't use salt shakers, they get clogged.  Sugar gets lumpy.  My doors have swollen again (it's an old house).  In NM, you can leave a slice of bread out and it turns to toast.  Opposite here; I left a box of cookies open and they got too soggy to pick up.

Yes I'll admit- I know nothing about humidity- but, coming from a dry climate to one that's even the slightest bit humid is still uncomfortable.

But thanks for the lecture- I won't move to Georgia anytime soon.  :lol:

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2010, 10:10:15 PM »
But change is great.  In 1987, I couldn't wait to return to NM.  Then in 2001 I was eager to return to Georgia.  I loved NM but now have the pretty greens growing everywhere.  I've been lucky to have lived and called home to many places. 
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2010, 03:12:17 AM »

Yes I'll admit- I know nothing about humidity- but, coming from a dry climate to one that's even the slightest bit humid is still uncomfortable.

And it's real easy to get spoiled with "dry". After my 25 years in Vegas, this place felt like a swamp in the summer  :lol:. How easy it is to forget life on the east coast!

On the other hand, in the heat of summer, when it's humid and raining out while the swamp cooler is throwing 75% humidity into the house...

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2010, 12:11:57 PM »

And it's real easy to get spoiled with "dry". After my 25 years in Vegas, this place felt like a swamp in the summer  :lol:. How easy it is to forget life on the east coast!

On the other hand, in the heat of summer, when it's humid and raining out while the swamp cooler is throwing 75% humidity into the house...

What's the phrase? "Humidity is as humidity does"?  #-o :lol:

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 03:36:44 PM »

What's the phrase? "Humidity is as humidity does"?  #-o :lol:

I always thought it was "Humidity sucks" but you may be right...

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2010, 10:05:27 PM »
76* current
29% humidity
58* wet bulb
41* dew point

SAY WHAAAAA?  \:D/

Offline Albuquerque Weather

• Senior Contributor
    • Albuquerque Amateur Weather
« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 11:22:10 AM »
Was in Las Cruses yesterday and the weather was great -
Maybe next time you can buy the coffee

Ron

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2010, 05:20:21 AM »
Yeah, it was a beauty! You got out in time - we had some rain Friday and it just a gloomy type of a day.

Coffee's on me - no problem.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2010, 11:00:52 AM »
Yeah, it was a beauty! You got out in time - we had some rain Friday and it just a gloomy type of a day.

Coffee's on me - no problem.

We're getting in on the moisture out here now. 20% chance of thunderstorms for the next couple of days here. Other than that, it's been cool, not hot, and not too muggy. But I can feel the mugginess now though.

Send me a cup of coffee? I don't have any…I need it.  ](*,)

Offline Albuquerque Weather

• Senior Contributor
    • Albuquerque Amateur Weather
« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2010, 05:20:03 PM »
GDay Chris
You have a website yet?

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2010, 06:36:25 PM »
GDay Chris
You have a website yet?

No. I'm too busy for that.

Offline hoop

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 04:48:25 PM »
How is NM looking right now? Pretty green?  Seemed like I saw rain on the radar down there quite a bit the past couple months.
I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
http://www.randpaul2016.com/

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 06:12:26 PM »
How is NM looking right now? Pretty green?  Seemed like I saw rain on the radar down there quite a bit the past couple months.

Depends on where you go in this state…

Where I'm at, it's farmland. And it is greener than a freakin' shamrock. Back home in Albuquerque, it is a desert…not really all that much green..

Down south towards El Paso however…the Franklin Mountains (and the Organ Mountains near Las Cruces) are green.

Offline Cienega32

• Forecaster
    • East Mesa Weather
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2010, 02:31:48 PM »
Some nice thunder-boomies last nite! Only 0.13" rain total but the lightning and thunder was spectacular!

Those looong and slow, rolling desert thunders that last for 10 or 15 seconds and finish with a deep bass tone that rattle the windows. I haven't had them in a while.

Downside was it knocked the local ComCast service off-line right in the middle of watching some movie and and doing online stuff. Looks like it was down for a few hours.

Offline Chris H.

• Rio Rancho's Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2010, 02:42:19 PM »
Some nice thunder-boomies last nite! Only 0.13" rain total but the lightning and thunder was spectacular!

Those looong and slow, rolling desert thunders that last for 10 or 15 seconds and finish with a deep bass tone that rattle the windows. I haven't had them in a while.

Downside was it knocked the local ComCast service off-line right in the middle of watching some movie and and doing online stuff. Looks like it was down for a few hours.

We're getting threatened here in Portales with a few stronger storms to our SW. Looks they're forming off the mountains along the Rio Grande near Ruidoso.

Love these late summer storms that form out here. Spectacular thunderheads.

So we got a line that moved through around 4:30 out here. Not bad. I slept through it though…  #-o
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 09:20:12 PM by Chris H. »