Author Topic: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?  (Read 10169 times)

Offline Intheswamp

• Early on one frosty morn'...
  • Forecaster
  • Sure...I know enough to be dangerous, now.
    • Beeweather
Re: Anyone joined or thought about Cord Cutting?
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2017, 10:28:26 PM »
That would be cool, but LOS is definitely not here. 

Davis VP2, v3.12
Cumulus v1.9.4  Build 1079
Today's weather beats no weather at all!
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2017, 11:04:22 PM »
Here is, to me, an interesting new service. It has most of the non-OTA the channels I watch in a single package. Discovery, History, A&E, HGTV and BBCA. $16 for 37 channels with a 30 day DVR feature. https://try.philo.com/#features
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 11:06:49 PM by hankster »

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #102 on: November 15, 2017, 01:00:16 AM »
I thought about trying it to shoot the 100M down that 1.5 mile of road.  But there is no house with power close to the DSLAM and I'm not about to try and have a pole installed with a meter, etc.  I'm pretty sure it would work though since I can almost see the DSLAM from my yard except for a few trees.

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #103 on: November 15, 2017, 01:36:40 AM »
well i can tell u that the fire tv box are stick can be jail broke and there are a few really good apk packs that will let u watch movies and live tv turned my direct tv off have 3 of them in my hose watch anymovie are most live tv from all over the world some may know if the and some may not

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
« Reply #104 on: November 17, 2017, 04:32:53 PM »
Here is, to me, an interesting new service. It has most of the non-OTA the channels I watch in a single package. Discovery, History, A&E, HGTV and BBCA. $16 for 37 channels with a 30 day DVR feature. https://try.philo.com/#features

That's very interesting. Basically, the only channels on cable I'd typically watch.  Currently, we watch TV OTA for the morning news and stream through Netflix and Amazon at night.
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline okieman98

• Contributor
  • new and learning
« Reply #105 on: November 17, 2017, 09:21:16 PM »
mine cost 0 it all streams , i have crappy internet in the country 12 megs max when it burst for a short time. its wireless internet, i live just close enough to get it. are there would be nothing. search u tube for firedl for the vids, local with cheap dollar store hd antenna saves 150 a month for me

PWS ID HEALDTON

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2018, 06:09:24 PM »
A buddy recently told me about 2 new options for a Fire Stick.
Mogbro and Terrarium TV.
Mogbro does have live network channels but sometimes the quality isn't the greatest.
As for TV shows one thing I like about it is that the show is a continuous loop that keeps playing. I watched Home Improvement the other day. When one episode is over it goes right into the next one and just keeps going.
Terrarium TV is a bit like watching Exodus on Kodi but the the downloads are much quicker and there seems to be slightly less buffering. The only issue is that when your show is over it will show an add for some type of game. After a few seconds just click out of it and it goes away.
Both programs have their pros and cons but they are pretty much all I watch now.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2018, 10:57:23 PM »
Well, tonight was the night me and my wife called our longtime relationship with DISH officially at an end.  Alabama beat Georgia the other night, so that win is in the history books (ROLL TIDE!!!) and I'll have plenty of time to figure something out for college football by next fall.  Then, tonight, we watched the series finale of TV series that we've watched for a long time on a satellite channel.  That is done with.  Nothing now to hold us back.  I sat there and set all the settings back to default (what an ugly square 4:3 screen with some very tall and very skinny people on it!<grin>), erased all of our recording schedules, erased all the recorded shows still on the DVR (lots of kids programs for our granddaughters), and just cruised around the menus looking for anything to zero out or delete.  Tomorrow I get to call and see how cheap they will go before I tell them to turn it off.  I'm looking forward to the sound of "snip". :lol: \:D/

Ed

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #108 on: January 12, 2018, 04:58:23 AM »
Dish will tell you about the discount you earned being a long time customer. That discount they never bother telling anyone until they go to disconnect account.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 06:36:42 AM by ValentineWeather »
Randy

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #109 on: January 12, 2018, 07:56:33 AM »
Well, they might talk me into it if they can get it down to around $25 a month and include the sports channels.  Of course, that's *after* agreeing to credit my account for, oh....let's say $600 for the bogus "HD Fee" they charged me for years.  Then....then I might stick with them...without a contract.   :lol:  If I have some free time when I call them I'll string them along as long as I can. :-P

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #110 on: January 12, 2018, 08:34:06 AM »
When I called Dish and they started their schpiel, I told them to shut up and turn it off.  They tried another line and I got more firm.  I finally had to yell at the idiot and tell him to turn the damn thing off NOW.

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #111 on: January 12, 2018, 09:50:28 AM »
Nah, I'll string'em along for a while if I'm not busy at work...I've got a bit of a southern accent so I'll just embellish it a bit with "ignorance" and let'em thing I'm a slow learner...maybe even have "Dueling Banjos" playing in the background for them. :lol:  Let'em think they almost have me and then flip-flop on them.  Talk about my rabbit ears with tinfoil on them and how I'm spending a lot of time practicing the "jaw harp" so I don't have a lot of tv-watching time, etc.,.  I figure it will be the last entertainment that I'll get from DISH.<GRIN>  \:D/
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irATiFt6AUM[/youtube]

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2018, 11:25:15 AM »
I had to put up with the latest Dish price increase notice a few days ago. The last straw! Will be dumping them as soon as I get my pile of goodies ordered - new OTA antenna and pre-amp (current one is very old and no longer gets CBS cleanly), DVR, and possibly hulu TV. Dish can go suck eggs...
John
W7JKG

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
"HD Fee" Yep if they were still charging that you should go without reimbursement because they stopped that bogas charge on new customers couple years ago. 
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2018, 11:31:58 AM »
I had to put up with the latest Dish price increase notice a few days ago. The last straw! Will be dumping them as soon as I get my pile of goodies ordered - new OTA antenna and pre-amp (current one is very old and no longer gets CBS cleanly), DVR, and possibly hulu TV. Dish can go suck eggs...

Living by choice in the boondocks last 40+ years I've never had the luxury of OTH antenna service. If you lock in for 2 years again this is the current offer I received.

2-Year TV Price Guarantee
Notwithstanding any terms and conditions of your Promotion Agreement and/or the Residential Customer Agreement to the contrary, because you have agreed to participate in DISH's 2-Year TV Price Guarantee promotion, DISH will not change, at any time during your Price Guarantee Period (as defined below): (a) the price that you pay for the qualifying programming package set forth below (your “Price Guarantee Programming Package”) or (b) the eligible equipment options set forth below (the “Discounted Eligible Equipment”).

Programming Package   Price*
Flex Pack                   $29.99
America's Top 120   $49.99
America's Top 120+   $59.99
America's Top 200   $69.99
America's Top 250   $79.99
Latino Clasico           $29.99
Latino Plus                   $35.99
Latino Dos                   $54.99
Latino Max           $64.99
*The prices set forth above are subject to your participation in the eAutoPay promotion or any successor promotion (and receipt of a $5 discount per month in connection with such promotion) at all times during your Price Guarantee Period.

Receiver   Fee**
Hopper, Hopper with Sling, and Hopper 3   $10.00/mo.
**The prices set forth above for the Discounted Eligible Equipment are subject to you maintaining an active Hopper on your account (and receipt of up to a $5 discount per month on the Hopper Receiver Fee) at all times during your Price Guarantee Period.

Your “Price Guarantee Period” is the twenty-four (24) month period immediately following the date on which you accept this offer by checking the “I accept” box below. DISH will not extend your Price Guarantee Period for any reason. Upon the expiration of your Price Guarantee Period, you will pay the then-current price for each of your programming packages, Additional Receiver Fees, and DVR Service Fees.

Randy

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2018, 11:48:17 AM »
So they lock us in for 2 years, lock up the way the extra fees work as well, then at the end most likely hit with a huge increase which would probably negate any savings had for the 2 year period. Their packages are far from great as well. Sounds like them...
John
W7JKG

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
« Reply #116 on: January 12, 2018, 12:09:07 PM »
One thing to keep in mind about these price increases are that they mostly come from network fee's. If ABC or ESPN, HGTV, etc raise their rates then that is passed on to us. The provider, Dish, Directv etc always look like the bad guys because that is where the consumer see's the increase. Also take a look at the tax's that different government entities get to tack on to your bill. I have one called a Regional Sports Fee? I wonder who's getting rich off that. :mad: 
Of course the providers are not totally at fault either with some of their charges but just something to keep in mind the next time you see a price increase.
The blues had a baby and they named it Rock & Roll

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #117 on: January 12, 2018, 12:09:57 PM »

If you're looking for a OTA DVR, check this out  https://www.channelmaster.com/Antenna_DVR_s/336.htm

I pre-ordered one to take place of my Channel Master DVR+. It looks great.
Tony

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #118 on: January 12, 2018, 12:28:52 PM »
Interesting, Tony, thanks. Have been looking at the HomeRun Extend. I'm on the CM email list but didn't get anything on this. I'm getting one of their 100mi antennas/pre-amps. My very broken down old Radio Shack antenna picks up Tucson, 120mi away, perfectly but can't handle local CBS. Need to fix that first.
John
W7JKG

Online CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #119 on: January 12, 2018, 12:37:37 PM »
I have a Mohu HD Antenna and bought my own pre-amp powered splitter. The Channel Master amp one was junk.
Tony

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2018, 12:42:17 PM »
So they lock us in for 2 years, lock up the way the extra fees work as well, then at the end most likely hit with a huge increase which would probably negate any savings had for the 2 year period. Their packages are far from great as well. Sounds like them...

You only negate the savings if you continue with subscription. Option is always there to look somewhere else this was the deal I was offered not sure its available to everyone.

OTA for occasional ballgame would be the way to go. I get my news fix with sirius/xm radio because they won't let me leave... :roll: Every year they offer the $10 a month for everything package if I do a 1 time payment.

Between sirius/xm, Netflix Amazon prime there is more than enough entertainment and NFL made it easy on us this year and probably won't return. Just need my college FB fix I can only get with TV.
Randy

Offline jgillett

• Forecaster
  • Boltek, Win7 Pro, ToA
    • TiggrWeather Phoenix
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2018, 01:18:16 PM »
Ordered the CM Masterpiece 100 antenna but holding off on the pre-amp for now. Want to see how the antenna does by itself. Out of work for an extended period so this will be step by step.
John
W7JKG

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2018, 01:50:58 PM »
Oh hold with DISH....<tick tock tick tock...>

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline Intheswamp

• Forecaster
    • Beeweather
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2018, 02:12:37 PM »
Talking to rep...at the "You are a preferred customer" offer point...

Davis VP2, v3.12
www.beeweather.com
www.beausandbonnets.com

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2018, 02:23:57 PM »
Everybody is a 'preferred customer' when it comes to retention efforts.

anything