Author Topic: Bloomsky Locations  (Read 9472 times)

Offline VaJim

• Virginia Beach Backyard Weather
  • Forecaster
Bloomsky Locations
« on: February 12, 2016, 07:23:46 AM »
I'm curious as to where folks ended up placing their Bloomsky?

Did anyone settle on a location that is not secured or fenced in?  Any extra precautions to prevent thief?

Most of the ones I've seen appear to be in backyards or up on an elevated structure. 

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
Re: Bloomsky Locations
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 12:13:54 PM »

Did anyone settle on a location that is not secured or fenced in?  Any extra precautions to prevent thief?

Most of the ones I've seen appear to be in backyards or up on an elevated structure. 

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

I made a small contraption to lock it to my fence.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 12:34:46 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

I tried my fence post as well, even moving it to the actual fence board so that the sensor clears the fence line.  I still had some heat reflection plus where I had it was doubtful due to the WIFI range.

I was wondering if anyone has placed theirs in the front yard where there may be no fence..?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 12:56:14 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

I tried my fence post as well, even moving it to the actual fence board so that the sensor clears the fence line.  I still had some heat reflection plus where I had it was doubtful due to the WIFI range.

I was wondering if anyone has placed theirs in the front yard where there may be no fence..?

Thats odd, Though each location is different. I had issues with readings when I had mine installed on the floor of the patio (grass) my readings where off by 4 degrees. Once I moved it to the fence post the readings are almost right on to my vue and to other bloomsky's around me. Sense the move I been one degree off at most and not all the time so I am sure I found a good spot.
I do have a bit of issues with wireless but I am fixing that by adding an ap outside in a few days.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 01:35:52 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

Thats odd, Though each location is different. I had issues with readings when I had mine installed on the floor of the patio (grass) my readings where off by 4 degrees. Once I moved it to the fence post the readings are almost right on to my vue and to other bloomsky's around me. Sense the move I been one degree off at most and not all the time so I am sure I found a good spot.
I do have a bit of issues with wireless but I am fixing that by adding an ap outside in a few days.

Thanks

Let us know how the Bloomsky works with the ap.  I have a range extender and never could get the Bloomsky to connect to it.

Offline lijun

• BloomSky
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 03:13:59 PM »
Thank you for the question, I'd like to comment on your inquiry about "Any extra precautions to prevent thief?"
Yes, the product has a built-in security feature which prevent thief in the following way: if someone curiously took your BloomSky, you will have to delete the device using your account first before that person can register it. We can't really prevent people from stealing, but hopefully that is a clear enough message to them.

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 04:07:15 PM »
Too bad the Bloomsky doesn't has built-in GPS so it could simply transmit its location and thus, it would be easier to locate and retrieve should it be stolen.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 04:11:22 PM »
Knowing today's society, I would think, once it's stolen, it's gone. 

If I decide on a 'unsecured' (no fence) location, I'll work on making sure the device it secured to the bracket/post to the best of my ability.

Offline ke9lz

• De Pere - Athelstane Weather
  • Contributor
    • De Pere Weather
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 04:13:01 PM »
I am thinking there is a GPS inside the unit because I just set mine up today and didn't enter any location during setup and find that it properly set my location on the map unless it used my cell phone's location during the setup.
Steve (KE9LZ)
Athelstane Weather
Blitzortung 1177, 1565

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »
I am thinking there is a GPS inside the unit because I just set mine up today and didn't enter any location during setup and find that it properly set my location on the map unless it used my cell phone's location during the setup.

According to the user guide the location comes from your smart phone.
Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 04:21:26 PM »

According to the user guide the location comes from your smart phone.

True and if they it on or if it was left on, I suppose you could see where it's at.  Whoever stole it won't be able to use it as long as you have it registered....?  if you delete it, it's fair game....?

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 04:32:59 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

Thanks

Let us know how the Bloomsky works with the ap.  I have a range extender and never could get the Bloomsky to connect to it.

It does.
The trick is to use a phone with a 2.4ghz chipset.
Most extenders use dual band most systems connect to 5Ghz.
I had the same issue with my Meraki AP.... Once I used an old cell that only talked 2.4GHz it worked just fine.

----

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 04:42:44 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

Thanks

It does.
I had the same issue with my Meraki AP.... Once I used an old cell that only talked 2.4GHz it worked just fine.

My RE is dual but creates 2 separate networks.  I had my phone connected to the RE 2.4g and still no luck.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 04:55:04 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

Thanks

It does.

My RE is dual but creates 2 separate networks.  I had my phone connected to the RE 2.4g and still no luck.

VaJim,

Just making sure and I am trying to help so dont get offended :) .... Most phone have no control on what band they connect. At least the ones I have and worked with.... How do you know that you are connecting to the 2.4GHz band?
I had issues to no end and I thought that my phone was connected via 2.4GHz.... I switch to an old SIII and worked on the first try.

Well at least it worked for me. Good luck!

----

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 04:59:14 PM »
Once in its final resting place, mine will be out back next to my Davis Station.

Joe
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 05:08:49 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

Thanks

It does.

Turn off the 5Gig band on the router radio while setting it up. Once set up you should be able to turn it back on. One problem may be of you have the same ID for both 2.4 and 5, you can always rename one of them.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 05:19:36 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

Thanks

It does.

Turn off the 5Gig band on the router radio while setting it up. Once set up you should be able to turn it back on. One problem may be of you have the same ID for both 2.4 and 5, you can always rename one of them.

This too!
I know for sure I have the same SSID on the bands.
Burn on my brain! hehehehe

----

Offline Jumpin Joe

• Forecaster
    • Joe’s Weather
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2016, 05:22:35 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

Thanks

It does.

This too!

Mine both use the same SSID and I did not have any trouble setting mine up.
https://joesweather.info
Davis Vantage Pro 2 Plus 24-FARS Wireless
WeatherLink Live

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2016, 05:24:52 PM »

Vajim,

Mine is above my fence.

Thanks

Thanks

It does.

This too!

Mine both use the same SSID and I did not have any trouble setting mine up.

This depends on the phone. I know now that my phone connects to the 5GHz band by default. I confirm by going to my cloudtrax.
Also if you have band steering enable it will try to push your device to what ever frequency (usually the 5GHz band).

----

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2016, 07:45:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure that turning off the 5g on the router would make no difference.

Here's my example:

Router netword SSID:  Home

RE then adds:  Home_2.4g RE
                     Home_ 5g RE

I can see all 3 on my Iphone6+........I select Home_ 2.4g RE and it refuses to connect.  All other devices will connect to the RE.

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2016, 07:58:59 PM »

Here's my example:

Home_ 5g RE

I can see all 3 on my Iphone6+........I select Home_ 2.4g RE and it refuses to connect.  All other devices will connect to the RE.
Your phone won't connect to the 2.4g network?

Offline VaJim

• Forecaster
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 08:09:27 PM »

Here's my example:

Home_ 5g RE

Your phone won't connect to the 2.4g network?

My phone will connect to any one of the above.  BUT...if I select the 2.4g coming from the RE, the Bloomsky will NOT connect.  I then have to connect the phone to the main router (2.4g) before the Bloomsky will connect.  From what I understand Netgear uses the same technology where it adds 2 new network SSIDs.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2016, 08:34:11 PM »
@VaJim,

Interesting. Looks like an issue specific to your setup :(
Sorry I could not be of much help.

Good luck!

----

anything