Author Topic: Anyone using the SamKnows Whitebox?  (Read 11913 times)

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
Anyone using the SamKnows Whitebox?
« on: January 25, 2017, 07:18:04 PM »

I responded to my ISP about this and have received the SamKnows Whitebox.  Looks easy enough to set up but don't know yet if it will impact my internet service.

TheCanadian Radio-television and  Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) is inviting Canadians to  participate in a project to measure the performance of their home internet connection. We hope  you’ll consider joining in to share your experience.

The CRTC is collaborating on this  project with SamKnows, a company that specializes in measuring internet services.  Rogers has worked with SamKnows since 2012 as part of our commitment to  deliver reliable performance to our customers. We’re pleased to  continue to support this ongoing initiative, which will extend speed  testing to more providers across the country and  help ensure Canadians are well informed about  their internet services and the speeds they receive.

SamKnows will contact you to  confirm your eligibility. Then they'll send you a free Whitebox (a speed testing device) that will  monitor the performance of the high-speed internet connection for your  home. You'll also get access to your own speed performance results each month so you can track your internet connection and receive unlimited data usage during the trial!

Anyone used this yet, and any feedback?

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Anyone using the SamKnows Whitebox?
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 07:51:01 PM »
Just signed up...
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline WeatherHost

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 08:20:22 PM »
I applied for one for the US version, but never heard back.

Offline graculus

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 08:35:30 PM »
Me too, but I couldn't even get the website to open  :-(  I always wondered if a certain large telco beginning with A didn't want their lousy DSL performance in the FCC report  :lol:

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 11:00:15 PM »
Got the SamKnows Whitebox (actually it is a black TP-Link TL-WDR3500-US-CRTC Broadband Router) connected and surprisingly my internet seems to be faster.  Will have to wait a few days to check out the performance, etc.

Any Canadians interested:
If you know anyone who would be interested in joining this study by volunteering to host a SamKnows Whitebox please ask them to apply here http://www.measuringbroadbandcanada.com/signupform

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 11:44:18 PM »
How long did it take to get the box?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 11:59:30 PM »

3 days from London UK
I confirmed my acceptance on 23rd, was notified shipped on 24th, received via FedEx 25th.

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 12:14:51 AM »
Thanks.  I hope my approval/shipment is as fast!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 12:43:58 PM »
Got my pre-approval email today.  BUT the agreement says *I* am responsible for the extra data costs - about 4 GB in our case and that would push me over the limit.  So no, not agreeing to pay for someone to get metrics on my crappy service.

Offline Garth Bock

• Table Rock Lake Weather
  • Forecaster
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 01:50:20 PM »
They will probably get alot of applications from the US citizens that will be moving there soon.....

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 02:47:06 PM »
I don't think I have misunderstood?!?
Dear Valued Customer,
The Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) is inviting Canadians to participate in a project to measure the performance of their home internet connection. We hope you’ll consider joining in to share
 your experience.
The best way to test Canadian internet speeds
 is to ask customers like you to help.
The CRTC is collaborating on this project with SamKnows, a company that specializes in measuring internet services. Rogers has worked with SamKnows since 2012 as part of our commitment to deliver reliable performance to our customers. We’re pleased to continue to support this ongoing initiative, which will extend speed testing to more providers across the country and help ensure Canadians are well informed about their internet services and the speeds they receive.
What happens once you sign up?
SamKnows will contact you to confirm your eligibility. Then they'll send
 you a free Whitebox (a speed testing device) that will monitor the performance of the high-speed internet connection for your home. You'll also get access to your own speed performance results each month so you can track your internet connection and receive unlimited data usage during the trial!
What else is there to know about the program?
There’s no cost to participate:  Any data usage charges you incur as a result of testing will be reversed.
Testing is secure and confidential: Your privacy is assured. No information concerning online activities will be collected.
Participation is voluntary and easy: Just use the internet as you would normally. You can cancel your participation at any time by contacting SamKnows.
Would you like to participate in the project? 

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 03:45:46 PM »
Well the click through agreement is really clear:  YOU are responsible for the data usage.  So I decliend.  But I just sent a note to Samknows to get clarification..  Not sure I will bother any way - my throughput sucks.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2017, 02:46:24 PM »
Confirmation that Samknows users ARE responsible for the data charges came in the email today:

"As per the terms and conditions, you are responsible for your bills.

Can you provide a link to where you read data charges will be reversed so we can investigate further?

Kind regards,
Ati
The SamKnows Team"

Where'd you get that letter saying charges will be reversed Paul?

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2017, 03:05:45 PM »
I am with Rogers and got an email from them, and will gladly send you the email from them soliciting participation if you PM me an email address I can send it to.

Can't seem to get any stats for the Downstream or Upstream speed burst but the others show, except don't know how to read them yet.

Paul

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2017, 05:13:28 PM »
I'm on Telus and I doubt they will kick in to pay to prove their broadband sucks, so I'll drop it.  I am running PTRG and I get all the stats I need from that.  What I really need is for Telus to energize the fibre optic line out at the lake so my Davis and cams would have reasonable and efficient Internet.  Let us know if Rogers actuallycovers the extra GBs from Samknows,

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2017, 10:11:08 AM »
These are some monthly reports:

I have not seen any negative impact on having this unit installed.

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »
I have had the SamKnows whitebox since March 2012 and it has caused no problems for me. The only issue I had is when my Mediacom cable modem failed and they sent out a tech to check it out. When he saw the Samknows box he didn't know what it was and said my connectivity problems were caused by "double routing" and that Mediacom didn't authorize use of such a device on their network. I knew it wasn't true, since my SamKnows invitation initially came directly from Mediacom corporate and the SamKnows had worked fine for 3 years, but I agreed to remove the box. Of course, that didn't fix the problem, and he put in a new cable modem and told me not to hook the SamKnows back up because they would not be able to provide future assistance if the SamKnows box was in the mix. I waited until he left, then reconnected the SamKnows box and have had no further issues.
Alan - Ambient WS-2000, WH31E x5, WH31L, Ecowitt WN32(WH32E)
          Airthings Corentium Home Radon Detector 223

Offline jeffm5690

• Forecaster
    • Long Island New York Weather
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2017, 09:56:52 PM »
I've had mine here in NY for about a year now.  Have not had any negative effects.  In fact, my speed has increased since the local provider knows I have it.  Last month my peak was 221 Mbps download with an average of 202 Mbps.  Love having it.

Best,

Jeff

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2017, 01:46:26 PM »
My latest report.
Seems like SamKnows is keeping my provider on their toes...

Paul

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2017, 02:38:52 PM »
@PaulMy ... I am curious how you get that SamKnows chart. My SamKnows dashboard does not have the Health tab ... only Analytics and Settings. My WhiteBox is over 5 years old, so maybe that is why.

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2017, 03:25:26 PM »
@PaulMy.....Just signed up for a box for my ISP (AT&T). We'll see what happens.
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2017, 03:40:12 PM »
My latest report.
Seems like SamKnows is keeping my provider on their toes...

Paul

Hate to burst your bubble, but most fiber runs well above advertised speed.  My new 50/15 typically runs 65/25 mbps

Offline alanb

• Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2017, 03:55:30 PM »
Depends on the ISP. Mine is usually about 5% to 10% below the advertised speed. Here is the chart for July for my 100 Mbps service:
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 04:14:47 PM by alanb »

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2017, 04:08:56 PM »
@PaulMy ... I am curious how you get that SamKnows chart. My SamKnows dashboard does not have the Health tab ... only Analytics and Settings. My WhiteBox is over 5 years old, so maybe that is why.
It was part of the latest "Your monthly internet report card July 2017" that SamKnows provides.
This is the second month I've gotten it in this format.

Maybe my ISP has gotten better on their own, but it is certainly much more uniform over the past few months after the SamKnows box was installed.

Paul

Offline Maumelle Weather

• Forecaster
    • Maumelle Weather
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 02:04:52 PM »
@PaulMy.....Just signed up for a box for my ISP (AT&T). We'll see what happens.

Got an email on August 15th stating I had been selected to receive a SamKnows box.  Got an email yesterday, August 23rd that my box had shipped via FedEx. I signed for my box about an hour ago. These guys sent the box via FedEx Express International overnight!!!!  I wanted to have the box, but.... I didn't need it that quick. Not even going to check what that cost to ship.  Will get it setup later today.

John
GR2AE, GR3, Cumulus