Author Topic: Off the shelf antenna  (Read 7193 times)

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
Off the shelf antenna
« on: September 16, 2008, 03:10:21 PM »
Anyone have a recommendation for an off the shelf antenna that works half decently. I barely get a signal out here from the "local" broadcast unless I hold the tip of the built-in antenna in my left hand and balance on my right foot while holding a Z shaped aluminum foil tube in my teeth. I'm not really a radio guy but I know we have lots of experienced folks here. I'm pretty limited on where I can put it as well.

I know that's a very subjective and a hard question to answer but I'm just looking for opinions on the general effectiveness of something like this:

Ambient Weather 20-176 Indoor / Outdoor Weather Radio Antenna

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Off the shelf antenna
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:48:19 PM »
That one should work better than the stock antenna. Does your radio have an external antenna connection?

If you want to build something easy which is a little cheaper and just about as good;
www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

I've built several in this style over the last 40 years. All the parts are at Radio Shack.

For any NOAA weather transmitter, a main element of 17.25" and radials of 18.15" would be right.

Note that there's an error by omission on that page. The example calc shows length in inches, but the formula returns length in feet.

You could make a coaxial antenna even easier. Get a length of coax with one connector on it to fit the radio.

Carefully strip off about 18" of the outer jacket. Pull the shielding braid all the way down over the jacket, fully exposing the center insulator. Strip just enough insulation off the center conductor to make a hanging eye out of the conductor.

The length from the end of the eye to the rolled back braid should be 17.25".

Insulate it all with Plasti-Dip, heat-shrink tubing, tape, etc. 

Use the eye to hang the antenna from an insulated support, or loop a plastic wire tie through it.

This antenna is roll-up portable.

Offline NiceBill

• Forecaster
  • Texas Township, Illinois
    • Texas Township, Clinton, Illinois 61727  Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »

I have this one, brand new in the box I will sell.  Never used, $20.00 +$10.00 shipping.

If interested PM or email me.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> :-)

[note: Bill passed away December 31, 2008 -- Rest in Peace Bill, you'll be missed!]

Offline Anole

• Forecaster
    • http://pineislandweather.com
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 08:09:20 PM »
That one should work better than the stock antenna. Does your radio have an external antenna connection?

If you want to build something easy which is a little cheaper and just about as good;
www.hamuniverse.com/2metergp.html

I've built several in this style over the last 40 years. All the parts are at Radio Shack.

For any NOAA weather transmitter, a main element of 17.25" and radials of 18.15" would be right.

Note that there's an error by omission on that page. The example calc shows length in inches, but the formula returns length in feet.

No thanks! Given my last attempt at a homemade antenna (many years ago) I'm willing to spend $30! :-)

You could make a coaxial antenna even easier. Get a length of coax with one connector on it to fit the radio.

Carefully strip off about 18" of the outer jacket. Pull the shielding braid all the way down over the jacket, fully exposing the center insulator. Strip just enough insulation off the center conductor to make a hanging eye out of the conductor.

The length from the end of the eye to the rolled back braid should be 17.25".

Insulate it all with Plasti-Dip, heat-shrink tubing, tape, etc. 

Use the eye to hang the antenna from an insulated support, or loop a plastic wire tie through it.

This antenna is roll-up portable.

Printed. I'll give this a shot. I don't think I currently have an RCA connect around here at the moment so I may have to try it tomorrow but I do ahave a buttload of rg6 on the shelf so it's worth a try.