Author Topic: Automatic Alert  (Read 6473 times)

Offline katlon

• LONNIE'S WEATHER STATION
  • Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
Automatic Alert
« on: January 08, 2007, 10:57:49 AM »
I received an email this morning from the Director of Operations at my local school district and he asked if there was a way to have the NOAA Radio to open up when an alert was issued by the NWS instead of having to keep the broadcast on at all times. Before I reply to him I thought I would ask you tech savvy guys and gals out there if this is or could be possible. It does seem like a good idea but I don't know of a way.

Lonnie

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
Re: Automatic Alert
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 11:12:57 AM »
Yup. Get one with SAME alerting, and then program it for the SAME code for the area in which the school is located. It works kinda like a pager.

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 11:46:04 AM »
By this point in time, all schools in the US should have been issued their SAME radios by the government and private grants. The project should have been completed months ago. Humm.....

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 02:53:28 PM »
Maybe theirs already has SAME and they don't know it...

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 07:32:23 PM »
Quote from: "SLOweather"
Maybe theirs already has SAME and they don't know it...

LOL....Teachers, you just gotta love them. RTFM! :)
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Anthony

• Forecaster
    • Anthony's Weather
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 08:19:45 AM »
I love my weather radio. One of the best purchases I ever made. No home should be with out one.

Thanks,
Anthony
WB8YUE

Offline katlon

• Contributor
  • GO HEELS!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2007, 02:48:36 PM »
Thanks for the advice SLOweather. I ordered another weather radio from Ambient, programmed it to broadcast when a warning for my county was sent out and hooked it up to the sound card of another computer. I set up another account with Wunderground and started to stream the S.A.M.E. warnings. Everything is silent unless there is a warning. I sent an email to Wunderground asking if it would be ok if I put this stream on there new weather radio page and below is their response. This works good for businesses that want the warnings but not all the chatter that comes with the regular broadcast.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

This is an interesting case. I'd like to start planning a system for this, a little separate from the current radio. It would be nice to pair this up with our warnings system. Let me give it some thought and I will get back to you.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Aaron Cowdin
Developer

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2007, 04:44:08 PM »
You're welcome.

Depending on how the chosen WU software works, you might be able to set up a stereo stream on one computer, and put one receiver on each channel.

Then the listener turns the balance control to whichever one they want to hear; continuous, or just the SAME alerts.

I do that now with 2 scanners and ShoutCast.

anything