Author Topic: Seen at Lowe's  (Read 1708 times)

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
Seen at Lowe's
« on: November 08, 2013, 09:32:00 PM »
I didn't stop to investigate, just took a picture.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Seen at Lowe's
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 09:44:09 PM »
Got 'em up here too.  No connectivity though.  Bummer.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 11:26:08 PM »
Seems like a decent price.

Walmart also has a $99 package, but it doesn't have a console with the weather ticker. 

I wonder if that means this Lowe's unit also as the USB interface?  If so, that might be a really good buy.

The $79 3-in-1 doesn't look like such a good buy.  I've seen those on "Manager Special" for $39 at our local farm-supply store.

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, 06:18:01 AM »
Lowes has been carrying that model since at least 2011, and it was where I made my first Acu-Rite purchase.  No USB.....  :-(
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline ctccbc

• Senior Contributor
  • Acurite 01035, Weather Display
    • Chris Collins Morehead City, NC Weather
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, 08:11:55 AM »
I have the 5-in-1, basically the version in the picture except with the PC Connect.  Good starter unit, but Acurite is still cleaning up some issues, so couldn't recommend at this time.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, 10:57:35 AM »
I winder how hard it would be to tap into that console to get connectivity?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline vreihen

• El Niņo chaser
  • Forecaster
  • K2BIG
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, 06:35:09 PM »
Buy one of the ones that have a USB port.  You can have as many consoles as you like all listening to the one 5-in-1 sensor, so start your collection.  :-)  My second console was a 1035 with USB, followed by the bridge a few months later.

Someone did post instructions on the web for yanking the receiver out of a non-USB console and tapping it via serial port when the 5-in-1 system first came out and didn't have USB interfaces yet.  They needed to decode the Acu-Rite radio protocol with special software, which I believe they also made available.....
WU Gold Stars for everyone! :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, 07:07:04 PM »
On a related note, I've finally started documenting how to pull data from the bridge using a Raspberry Pi.  (Actually, any Linux box should do.)

It's going to take me a while yet to fill out the documentation, but the basic code to get the data is up now.  I'm just finishing up the section for installing Weewx (I might post that tomorrow).  It's nothing really new that I haven't posted before over the last 6 months or so, but at least it's all going to be in one place now.

Have a look.  I'm open to having people work on it to add more features and polish.

http://nincehelser.com/ipwx