Author Topic: Analysis Looks Wrong  (Read 1412 times)

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
Analysis Looks Wrong
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:19:05 PM »
My temperature sensor is failing the L3 Spatial Consistency check. I don't know how because I have two temperature sensors and both are reading within 1 degree of each other. Also my dewpoint is being marked with a question mark but I assume its due to the temp being marked with a thumbs down and a big fat x. I don't know how it would be possible for a sensor to read too cold unless you bought it at the dollar store. I did recently move my sensor because it was reading too high but now it should be marked with a green check but the latest graph has my temp dropping WAY below analysis. Does anyone know what might be causing this? Here is the link to my site: http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/search?site=E6951&Get+information=Get+information

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
Re: Analysis Looks Wrong
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
From the pic it looks like you have a roof mounted Vue, which is a terrible location for a temperature sensor. On a sunny day it will read high, on a cloudy day it will read low. If the location has changed please advise of the new location.

Stated on the gladstone web page: "Your readings indicate a solar heating problem. This means that the sun can shine directly onto the temperature sensor (or it's housing) and increase the temperature recorded significantly. This is often caused by the lack of a radiation shield, or the sensor is poorly sited. For information on radiation shields, see CWOP Radiation Shields, and information on siting, see CWOP Station Guide."

Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

Offline AjaxKnights29

• Senior Contributor
    • Ajax Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:34:11 PM »
From the pic it looks like you have a roof mounted Vue, which is a terrible location for a temperature sensor. On a sunny day it will read high, on a cloudy day it will read low. If the location has changed please advise of the new location.

Stated on the gladstone web page: "Your readings indicate a solar heating problem. This means that the sun can shine directly onto the temperature sensor (or it's housing) and increase the temperature recorded significantly. This is often caused by the lack of a radiation shield, or the sensor is poorly sited. For information on radiation shields, see CWOP Radiation Shields, and information on siting, see CWOP Station Guide."
It's fan aspirated how would that be terrible and if it is then where else would one mount a 5 in 1 weather station?

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 07:42:53 PM »
All-in-one stations do present a dilemma regarding placement. Personally, since accurate wind measurements are difficult to achieve even in the best residential locations, if I had an all-in-one I'd much rather locate the unit for optimum placement of the temperature/rh and rainfall (at ground level) and sacrifice the wind. Makes maintenance a lot easier as well.
Bill

Offline C5250

• Forecaster
    • Local weather
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 11:28:13 PM »
All-in-one stations do present a dilemma regarding placement. Personally, since accurate wind measurements are difficult to achieve even in the best residential locations, if I had an all-in-one I'd much rather locate the unit for optimum placement of the temperature/rh and rainfall (at ground level) and sacrifice the wind. Makes maintenance a lot easier as well.

+1

Putting an All-in-one up high were it may be difficult to get to is asking for frustration. At best, wind speed might be more accurate. But everything else suffers. It is well recognized that wind speeds from CWOP stations are likely to be lower, and therefor that is taken into consideration.

Or, if you want it all, get a remote anemometer transmitter, put that up high and put the Vue down low where it should be.

Edit to add the optional method.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 11:35:47 PM by C5250 »
Precious little in your life is yours by right and won without a fight.

anything