Author Topic: WS-2308 Heavy Weather not working changed to Cumulus, also not working on new pc  (Read 49105 times)

Offline highriseweather

I have plugged in everything to the main unit, installed the software and when I go into heavy weather everything is greyed out.  Did I do something wrong? Is there an order the connections have to be done?

Edit: 6/22/2012 because title didn't fit thread.  Title changed because I do not use Heavy weather, I use Cumulus but was running into problems, got them fixed on the old machine, and now new machine is having issues.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 12:55:50 PM by highriseweather »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
Re: WS-2308 Heavy Weather not working
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 04:39:33 AM »
First off, is the weather station console communicating with the remote sensors? All data being received?

Secondly, are your comm port settings on the computer set correctly?

Are you using a direct serial port connection or a USB connection?

Dan

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 06:01:33 AM »
Well right now all I have is the temperature sensor operating due to the other concerns as you addressed eariler.  The weather station is communicating fine with the temperature sensor, I am getting readings every few seconds.

As for the comm port settings, not sure which one to use, have tried all of them none of them work.  All I have done though is selected each one individually in the software, I have no idea how to set them for the unit.

For right now I am using a direct serial port connection, I just ordered a USB to serial and may change it later.

Offline SlowModem

• Weather at the speed of dialup!
  • Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 07:17:24 AM »
As for the comm port settings, not sure which one to use, have tried all of them none of them work.  All I have done though is selected each one individually in the software, I have no idea how to set them for the unit.

For right now I am using a direct serial port connection, I just ordered a USB to serial and may change it later.

I can only speak to XP and the way I do it.  There may be an easier way.  (I'm sure any errors will be swiftly corrected.  There's some really really smart folks on this board!)

Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Ports

That is where you assign the ports.  Make sure you adjust the settings in the software accordingly.

It's my experience that if you can use serial port, it will work much better than serial to usb.

If you have Vista or Mac, I can offer no advice.

Good Luck,

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 08:30:06 AM »
... and as per Greg's advice, while in the device manager checking your port you shouldn't have to change the default settings of 9600 BPS, 8 DB, None parity, 1 SB and ,None FC.
Stay with the serial connection vs. the USB if you can. May save a lot of headaches.

Keep at it. It will come eventually. (keep notes for the next time :roll:).

Dan
« Last Edit: March 07, 2009, 08:32:19 AM by DanS »

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 10:58:45 AM »
I am not very familiar with making changes like this.  I went to the Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Ports, but there is no where to assign a port there. When the list comes up in Ports, there is only one listed, COM1, communications.  That's it. I tried updating to see if any would show up, nope...  So where do I go from here?

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
I am not very familiar with making changes like this.  I went to the Start>Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager>Ports, but there is no where to assign a port there. When the list comes up in Ports, there is only one listed, COM1, communications.  That's it. I tried updating to see if any would show up, nope...  So where do I go from here?

Geeze, I guess I only led you half way there!  I'm sorry.

If you see the serial port listed there, right click on it and select properties.

Then you want the Port Settings tab, then click on advanced.  There you can set the serial port number.  Then that's what you match the software to.

I hope that gets you where you want to be.

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »
You know I went into the properties earlier but apparently did not go far enough, well now I have another problem, it seems all the com ports are full, they are all telling me they are in use.  Should I unplug the weather station to see if it is conflicting with something?

All but com 1 seems full.  2 says not full, but when I try to use it it says it is, and 3 and 4 say in use, also tried but said i may interfer with something else... 

Do you need a list of my machine specs?

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2009, 11:16:51 AM »
PC Specs:

Windows XP SP2
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2.8GHz
Asus P5B Deluxe Wifi-AP Motherboard
2Gb AData DDR-II 800MHz
Asus 7300GT 256mb NVida PC-Express Graphics Card
3x 320GB Seagate 16mb SATA II HDD
1x Maxtor 250GB HDD
1x WD 640GB HDD
S12 430W Seasonic PSU
4x 90mm exhuast fans
1x 220mm intake case fan

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2009, 11:24:42 AM »
I guess I should also mention that prior to this device I was using the serial port for my UPS, now that it is unplugged the UPS doesn't even show up, I just ordered the USB to Serial and will be using that for the UPS when it comes.

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2009, 02:19:23 PM »
Well, now you're getting beyond what I know.  Maybe some of the experts around here can tell you how to see what's on each port and how to assign stuff.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2009, 03:53:45 PM »
With the UPS disonnected from Com1 and any software used to control it turned off, try connecting your weather station to com1 and select com1 in the weather station's software. Then after all this is set, restart the computer. When it comes up and finishes booting see what happens.
If it's still not cooperating check  My Computer,  Control Panel,  Administrative Tools,  Event Viewer,  (Application and System) both show events happening on your computer and give useful information/clues.

Dan

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2009, 04:02:10 PM »
With the UPS disonnected from Com1 and any software used to control it turned off, try connecting your weather station to com1 and select com1 in the weather station's software. Then after all this is set, restart the computer. When it comes up and finishes booting see what happens.
If it's still not cooperating check  My Computer,  Control Panel,  Administrative Tools,  Event Viewer,  (Application and System) both show events happening on your computer and give useful information/clues.

Dan

What a handy tip!  I'll have to remember that!

Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2009, 04:05:20 PM »
Hi Greg. Yeah I have the "Event Viewer" icon set as a short cut on my desk top and am refering to it all the time for things. Handy to use. :grin:

Dan

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2009, 10:44:10 AM »
Ok folks, here is the latest.

1. Everything about the UPS has to be disabled. In the System Config, it has to be disabled in the services and startup menus. Then a reboot. I can use the heavy weather software now thank you.

Some other questions though, when I get my usb to serial cable can someone help me get my UPS running on that? otherwise will need your help to put heavy weather on it, which you guys said might be troublesome.

Also, I am having issues getting the publisher figured out, the software is so difficult to figure out, I want to publish my readings to a website so my family and friends can see what it's like here...  Can anyone help with that or should I post in another forum?  Would love to create a banner also, but the software is not very helpful doing this...  it would be nice if they had some templates other than the full page ones they give us, I like to play with stuff, but not like this...

Thanks for the help on the com port issues guys! Much apprecaited!!!!!  I may end up moving the system to another computer when I buy a new one, I will run two machines, one to do folding and weather while the other for my main work. That way I can save the resources.

Edit: One other question I have why is the pressuer .01 different from the base unit to the software? That's just odd. Base unit says 29.99, software says 29.98.. What gives?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 10:48:46 AM by highriseweather »

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2009, 10:52:02 AM »
Great, a step in the right direction.
Lots of folks here will help you with all the software stuff you mention when the time comes.
The WuHu program (free to download and use) works great in place of heavyweather and has uploading your data built in so you don't have to play around with publisher. That's your choice.
The UPS on the USB adapter sounds like the best way to go and we'll be glad to help you with that too.
Good work!

Dan

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Can you give me the link to the WuHu program?  I think I will use that, you say it is easier and has uploading already built in, that will be great. Is it easier to use?

I am pretty much ready for that now, when I buy a new machine I will transfer everything, but for now will be using this one.   Does the WuHu program come with banners or we still need to create them?

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 11:05:04 AM »
Yeah a lot of folks here use it including me. It's WuHu.com and you see the software choice to download. Banners are created on the site you upload to. Get it going and play with it for a while. You'll soon see how much better it is for doing what you want to do.

Dan

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 11:23:23 AM »
highriseweather,

You might also look here: http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus
My PWS is a Davis but this software should work for you and the Author supports it well. Oh, and the price is right!

FWIW

George

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 12:27:29 PM »
Yeah a lot of folks here use it including me. It's WuHu.com and you see the software choice to download. Banners are created on the site you upload to. Get it going and play with it for a while. You'll soon see how much better it is for doing what you want to do.

Dan

I hate to sound like a nit picker, but the wuhu software is at:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 12:28:44 PM »
highriseweather,

You might also look here: http://sandaysoft.com/products/cumulus
My PWS is a Davis but this software should work for you and the Author supports it well. Oh, and the price is right!

FWIW

George

I d/l this a few minutes ago.  I have two stations, and they cant run on wuhu together.  So I am trying cumulus for the 2315 and wuhu for the 968.  We'll see how it goes.  Thanks for the tip!

Greg
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 12:36:04 PM »
Greg,

I am pleased with Cumulus and like to recommend it. However, Steve does have one WARNING that I post here because I don't want to see anyone trying overcome a known problem.

"Warning: If your weather station is a La Crosse and it is connected using a serial/USB adapter, then you will probably have problems using it with Cumulus, in that you will get erroneous data from time to time. These weather stations are known to have problems with serial/USB adapters, and for some reason Cumulus seems to suffer more than other software. There doesn’t seem to be anything I can do about this. For this reason, I am sorry to say that I cannot support the use of Cumulus in this way."

FWIW

George

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 12:49:06 PM »
Thank you all for the information.  It seems like both of them are free, though one asks for donations, fair enough. Seems my topic has stirred other ideas, that's great, the more the better!   So what you are telling me is that we can easily create banners using either of the two software mentioned above?

Wuho or Sanday Soft? So no need to create them using other software, is it easy?

So which one should I use? Wuhu or Sanday Soft or Cumulus??  Should we compare? Are they all easy to use? All can create banners easily for websites? All upload automatically to a website of your choice?

I guess I edited my last post too late before someone read it, can someone tell me why heavy weather and the base unit have different numbers for the pressure?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:51:34 PM by highriseweather »

Offline highriseweather

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 12:57:25 PM »
Oh I am so irritated with this software, I just looked at the history, I see it records every hour. So I closed the window and closed the heavy weather also, and then tried to reopen it, it's all greyed out again!!!!! Thsi is soooo irritating. That means if I close it out I have to reboot everytime?!! What a pain in the @!# Unbelievable cruddy software!!!

Do all three of these programs above contain all three programs that come with Lacrosse?  The weather viewing software, the publishiing software and the reviewing software? If they do, I am unintalling everything from Lacrosse tomorrow, I am so dissappointed!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2009, 12:59:38 PM by highriseweather »

Offline SlowModem

• Forecaster
  • WX @ 26.4 kbs
    • Watts Bar Weather
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2009, 05:43:57 PM »
Greg,

I am pleased with Cumulus and like to recommend it. However, Steve does have one WARNING that I post here because I don't want to see anyone trying overcome a known problem.

FWIW

George

Thanks George!  I have it hooked up to the serial port and into the Cumulus.

I have the 968 going through the usb port (for some reason it doesn't have as much trouble with that) and into the WUHU.

In case you're wondering why two stations, I got mad at OS last year  ](*,)  because of the humidity sensor and got the 2315 to use until they sent me another sensor.  They never did and I'm still mad, but it's a good unit so I might as well use it.  I use the 2315 as kind of a calibration/check thing.
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN USA

anything