Author Topic: My Acurite 5 in 1  (Read 22124 times)

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
Re: My Acurite 5 in 1
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2014, 05:13:16 PM »
Yep...I have a Meteobridge, too, and it works flawlessly.  I highly recommend it.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2014, 12:44:46 AM »
I think you have to have PC Connect in order for it to work

I tried the kevin key app for the bridge, but I couldn't get it to work. I gave up.

It's pretty simple to do with a small linux box (I use a Pi).  I've got notes at http://nincehelser.com/ipwx 

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 07:43:34 AM »
I think my issue is that the bridge doesn't pick up the signal from the 5n1 where my desktop computer sits. If the bridge didn't have to be moved and plugged into the ethernet port of the windows pc, and kept at the router it would work. My desktop is wireless, and I have nothing plugged directly in. I thought about getting longer ethernet cable and moving the bridge around to find the signal. I might do that soon.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2014, 10:11:54 AM »
If you go Meteobridge you use its wifi and no longer have to have a cable to the router.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 12:43:14 PM »
I think my issue is that the bridge doesn't pick up the signal from the 5n1 where my desktop computer sits. If the bridge didn't have to be moved and plugged into the ethernet port of the windows pc, and kept at the router it would work. My desktop is wireless, and I have nothing plugged directly in. I thought about getting longer ethernet cable and moving the bridge around to find the signal. I might do that soon.

FYI, with the notes on my site you can simply substitute a wireless dongle for a wired one if you need it.  No big deal.

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2014, 11:23:50 AM »
I have no problem running the scrapper, but the keys app where you plug the bridge directly to the PC will not read the bridge. I get an error for WinPcap. I have this program installed, and I do not know what could be wrong. I also get no signal on MyBYW thru the bridge I set up from ethernet to wireless router.

I am not a geek, so all this stuff is new to me. #-o

Also today, aculink is out apparently.

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2014, 01:41:35 PM »
I have no problem running the scrapper, but the keys app where you plug the bridge directly to the PC will not read the bridge. I get an error for WinPcap. I have this program installed, and I do not know what could be wrong. I also get no signal on MyBYW thru the bridge I set up from ethernet to wireless router.

I am not a geek, so all this stuff is new to me. #-o

The basic problem is Windows is a pain to use for something like this.  Everything has to be "just so" and there's a lot to go wrong.

If you have some old hardware lying around, I suggest you try a Linux system.  They're much more adept at networking tasks.

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2014, 09:44:30 AM »
If you go Meteobridge you use its wifi and no longer have to have a cable to the router.
I don't have a cable to my router from my desktop. It is a wireless connection. I have my modem, router and bridge in another room where the cable line is available.

I plugged in the acurite bridge directly to the ethernet on the Windows 8.1 PC and I could not read the bridge or send to aculink. The bridge would flash and stop, then repeat... I tried everything I know and what kevin key instructions said. Only thing is I have a different later version of C++.

Looks like meteobridge may be in my future... or another weather station. It is a high price to pay though, just to be on PWS. Doesn't PWS send to CWOP also?

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2014, 10:04:36 AM »
You can transmit to CWOP via Meteobridge.  Keep in mind that service is very picky and will drop you in a heart beat if any of your data appears to be "off" even a little.

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2014, 10:38:15 AM »
There are stations around my area that are around 5 degrees high in temp at times on there when the sun sets, and their pressure is not even close. That is one reason I wanted to share, but it isn't do or die for me, just trying to be of help for my community. Also when I take interest in something, I have this side of me that I must get it as right as possible. :lol:

Offline nincehelser

• Forecaster
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2014, 11:59:26 AM »
There are stations around my area that are around 5 degrees high in temp at times on there when the sun sets, and their pressure is not even close. That is one reason I wanted to share, but it isn't do or die for me, just trying to be of help for my community. Also when I take interest in something, I have this side of me that I must get it as right as possible. :lol:

When comparing to other stations, you always have to consider if they are properly sited and/or calibrated.  Differences in temperature might be normal.  Barometric pressure should be practically the same over a large area, so differences in pressure are usually because of improper calibration or not reporting the proper type of pressure measurement.  (e.g. Absolute or MSL)  In the case of Acurite, you also have to consider their "self-adjusted" version that shows up on the displays.

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »
I am thinking about going to this... http://weatherwiseinstruments.com/wireless-weather-stations/solar-weather-station.html

It will do what I want at a better price, and has good reviews.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2014, 02:49:47 PM »
I am thinking about going to this... http://weatherwiseinstruments.com/wireless-weather-stations/solar-weather-station.html

Junk.  A Fine Offset clone.  I had the National Geographic version (via Costco) - POS.  Thankfully Costco took it back.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2014, 07:59:14 PM »

Junk.  A Fine Offset clone.  I had the National Geographic version (via Costco) - POS.  Thankfully Costco took it back.

It's not better than acurite? Should I just keep the 5 n 1 and order a meteohub? I see I can get one for the same price, and meteohub works with a aculink bridge?

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2014, 09:14:54 PM »
IMHO not better than an Acurite (albeit with only 3 months time on the 5-1).  Both work with the MB.  A Meteobridge (no USB hib needed any more) will runabout $100.  Works just fine with a 5-1 (or 3-1)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 10:12:55 PM by Bushman »

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2014, 10:16:37 AM »
Any recommendation on where to buy it? I can't find anywhere but Ambient wx, and they run 2 bills.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2014, 01:27:03 PM »
JUst buy the router http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704127 and then download the firmware from Meteobridge.   It is pretty simple to flash the router yourself http://www.meteobridge.com/wiki/index.php/Getting_Started and Docbee (Boris) and others will help you if you get stuck.  I think the firmware costs Euro 59 via PayPal so for about $100 in total...  BTW I got my router on sale at Best Buy - under $30 bucks.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2014, 09:34:45 PM »
The little TP-Link 3020 router is $36.99 new at Amazon or $26.99 used.  I would steer clear of the used ones, however.  So, a new router plus the software will cost you under $100.  The Ambient version is exactly the same thing except th

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2014, 11:59:49 PM »
As I was saying before my 'pooter hiccupped and sent the message before I finished, the Ambient device is exactly the same as Meteobridge except that it's a "turn key" device; the router is already flashed with the Meteobridge software.  However, it will cost you twice what the Meteobridge does.

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »
I've narrowed down to three options. Buy another display from acurite with the PC USB connection and use sharing software available online. Buy a router and convert to meteobridge. Lastly buy a whole new weather station from Ambient and use cumulus. I am leaning toward #3, because I know the acurite will not last forever anyway... Fine offset. I see people who have Davis stations getting the raingauge error on wunderground... I don't want to go through that. This is not an ease hobby I am finding, and it is because the manufacturers make it more difficult that it should be for their users. Ambient seems to be the best for sharing.

Offline haroldashe

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2014, 11:43:26 AM »
The good thing about AcuRite's stuff is that it's very inexpensive compared to most other hardware options.  Admittedly, it's not perfect but, unless you get deep into the hobby, it's acceptable. Also, their on-line forum is good and they do stand behind their products. The AcuRite 5in1 plus the AcuLink bridge plus Meteobridge is a pretty good combo and it won't break the bank.

Offline Borisbadenov

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2014, 05:05:58 PM »
I've narrowed down to three options. Buy another display from acurite with the PC USB connection and use sharing software available online. Buy a router and convert to meteobridge. Lastly buy a whole new weather station from Ambient and use cumulus. I am leaning toward #3, because I know the acurite will not last forever anyway... Fine offset. I see people who have Davis stations getting the raingauge error on wunderground... I don't want to go through that. This is not an ease hobby I am finding, and it is because the manufacturers make it more difficult that it should be for their users. Ambient seems to be the best for sharing.
I went with Option 1 and works good for me but i may regret that if i go to another brand of weather station.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2014, 06:06:21 PM »
Why?  Meteobridge works with all sorts of different Wx stations.  My old POS FIne Offest clone  was replaced with a 5-1 and it works just fine with MB.  All you have to do it select a new wx station.

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2014, 08:43:55 PM »
I tried and tried on two different computers to make the kevin key acurite bridge reader app work, and I got nowhere on either one. So it looks like that app is a waste of time if you are thinking about it. If you don't have the right kind of ethernet card, it won't work apparently.

I also don't like what I see on the cheaper version of ambient being it only reports every five minutes. You have to go up to the all in one unit to get rapid updates. Also if you buy the weatherwise or ambient version station of the link I posted, the radiation shield is not good. You will need to buy the radiation shield ambient sells to get accurate readings from what I read.

There is also a weatherwise station not too far from me where their temp is too high on hot days by 6-8 degrees regularly. I thought it might be location, but it's the radiation shield.

Right now, I think I will wait a while before going any further. As soon as I buy something, I just know my acurite 5n1 will die...

I still want to paint the 5n1 and plan to do soon.

Online DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
Re: My Acurite 5 in 1 WIND VANE
« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2014, 03:59:28 PM »
I am having windy weather from the north today, and my wind vane is all over the place. Is there a way to maybe weigh this thing down some? It seems like it has no restrictions in it to keep it from drifting in circles... Maybe some weights from a tackle box?