Author Topic: New weather network  (Read 7729 times)

Offline TheWizard

New weather network
« on: March 29, 2014, 06:29:34 PM »
Hi there,

A friend of mine told me about this new weather site called Weathercloud and I wanted to share it with you as I think it offers some neat features like integration with weatherlink.com and pretty nice gauges. Link: weathercloud.net

For now it's compatible with Davis stations but it seems they're working to make it compatible with more brands.

Regards,

Pier

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
Re: New weather network
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 02:34:11 PM »
Looks like it would be of no use to me, because they apparently don't support a Vantage Vue or Cumulus.
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2014, 02:38:01 PM »
They do support the Vantage Vue, but not Cumulus (at least not yet)

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 12:19:30 PM »
There's not enough info on their site for me to form an opinion. No indication of how it works/how to link, mentions of their "modules" with no links to download.

The graphics are nice enough, I suppose.

Looks to be European in origin. All in metric, I don't see a way to show the few US stations in US units. times are in UTC, not local.

It appears that you still have a lot of work to do, but it's a nice start.

Offline CNYWeather

• Forecaster
    • CNYWeather
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2014, 12:54:58 PM »
Looks like it would be of no use to me, because they apparently don't support a Vantage Vue or Cumulus.

I had asked them on FB a week or so ago if they'd support Weather Display and they replied they were working on it.
Tony

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2014, 01:27:35 PM »
All in metric, I don't see a way to show the few US stations in US units. times are in UTC, not local.

You can change both, but not as guest.

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2014, 01:55:42 PM »
I have signed up but can't use it yet as I don't use Weatherlink on a continuous basis :(

Paul

Offline JohnN

• Forecaster
    • Monmouth County Weather
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2014, 02:00:01 PM »

I had asked them on FB a week or so ago if they'd support Weather Display and they replied they were working on it.
I don't really do Facebook,  so I guess I will have to wait for someone else to request Cumulus support.
www.monmouthcountyweather.comUK Met Office: 45560463
Twitter: @John_N_WxCoCoRaHS: NJ-MN-64
CWOP: E1682Davis Vantage Vue, Pro2Plus w/24 hr FARS, Ambient Weather WS-1000
PWS/WFY: SOUTHARDNJCumulusMX
Wunderground: KNJHOWEL11
                       KNJHOWEL15
LiveATC: KWRI/KNEL/New York Center
             KMJX/KBLM/3N6/N12

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2014, 05:22:59 PM »
Would need Cumulus realtime support for my interest. I've decided unless web sites are realtime I'm no longer affiliating with. Of course the exception would be APRS/CWOP.
Randy

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2014, 12:08:42 PM »
Would need Cumulus realtime support for my interest. I've decided unless web sites are realtime I'm no longer affiliating with. Of course the exception would be APRS/CWOP.

What do you mean by realtime support?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 12:13:03 PM by TheWizard »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »

What do you mean with realtime support?

Example would be Ajax, and rapid fire (flash) supported sites like Weather Underground. Retrieve data from a small TXT file every 3-4 seconds for realtime. Cumulus has this support and I believe Weather display has an add on that uses flash for realtime. Many of the personal sites now are realtime so the technology is available why not move ahead. 

Randy

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2014, 12:38:08 PM »
I get it now, thanks!  ;)

Offline swyman18

New weather network
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 01:41:30 PM »

But in order for them to "support" Cumulus, the Cumulus developer has to be willing to add the functionality into the software first, correct?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 01:43:13 PM by swyman18 »

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2014, 07:25:50 PM »

But in order for them to "support" Cumulus, the Cumulus developer has to be willing to add the functionality into the software first, correct?
Thats true, would make things easier so Steve at Cumulus would also have to support it.
For those that have an existing web site Cumulus already sends the data in realtime txt. There is a android phone app called "Home Weather" that captures the cumulus realtime data just by the web URL. Not sure how its done but it does work.
Randy

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2014, 09:16:22 PM »
I tried to register but the confirmation email never came. I run into that problem occasionally when misguided server administrators apply filters to outgoing email (why would you ever want to block yourself from sending email). My email is hosted at a well-known email forwarding service, which sometimes earns itself a slot in default email filters. Oh well.

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2014, 06:30:28 AM »
I tried to register but the confirmation email never came. I run into that problem occasionally when misguided server administrators apply filters to outgoing email (why would you ever want to block yourself from sending email). My email is hosted at a well-known email forwarding service, which sometimes earns itself a slot in default email filters. Oh well.

How weird, it worked well to me. Maybe it's a bug or it has to do with your email settings, I don't think they blocked outgoing emails on purpose.

Offline LABob

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2014, 06:35:16 AM »
It's not a problem on the receiving server. The problem is that some places subscribe to a set of filters that block out receiving email from 'anonymous' email providers, but they configure the filters in such a way that they cannot send mail to those providers either. Try testing the signup process with some sort of email service like mailinator.com and you can see that they don't allow some domains to be used. Not sure why a nascent site would want to block potential users.

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2014, 03:28:06 AM »
I see that the network is now also compatible with Weather Display. All you have to do is to download the companion add-on from the WD site and type the ID and Key provided by Weathercloud. Among the new brands included are Oregon, La Crosse, AcuRite, Ambient Weather, etc.

Offline TheWizard

« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2015, 05:48:04 AM »
This network has undergone several improvements recently, such as METAR stations on the map, integration with Twitter, a comfort index, etc.  =D>

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2015, 06:34:14 AM »
I am actually involved in the development of this project and I can confirm that the guys there are quite enthusiastic and put lot of effort and time into creating it and adding new functions. It started just recently and each month is getting better and better! I highly recommend it.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2015, 08:05:56 AM »
I have been connected to them for some time now.  It appears from their map a lot of stations are also affiliated  .   I needed a few items changed and the person there took care of it right away.

I'd give them another chance

Offline PaulMy

• Forecaster
    • KomokaWeather
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2015, 12:35:22 PM »
Weathercloud is compatible with Cumulus http://blog.weathercloud.net/?p=964  http://app.weathercloud.net/d0280022074

Enjoy,
Paul

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2015, 03:24:04 PM »
Would be nice to have it work with VWS....

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 03:49:04 PM »
Weathercloud is compatible with Cumulus http://blog.weathercloud.net/?p=964  http://app.weathercloud.net/d0280022074

Enjoy,
Paul

WOW, that was fast after asking. I'm impressed, these guys may be the new and better WU. 
Randy

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2015, 03:52:41 PM »
Only one problem when i downloaded.
Randy