Author Topic: Weatherlink ftps screwey  (Read 9356 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
Weatherlink ftps screwey
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:53:46 AM »
Suddenly on the 19th.. my weatherlink 5.9.3  stopped updating according to its schedule.    Some times maybe only every day.

the graphs are working and data is changing, but the images have stopped being updated and it often hangs.   I am not sure what is going on.  I tried a system reboot, downloaded a fresh copy , repaired it, uninstalled it , rebooted, reinstalled it.. 

My weatherdisplay works fine... I am sort of thinking three ways out of this..  wait a few days , maybe it is my ISP.   I know all my aol email pals, can't get my stuff  because of something aol is doing.

then if that doesn't clear, let weatherdisplay upload the images for me and third, to just shit can the weatherlink off my site  and get the data from the IP logger instead on a different machine.

Any ideas  what is going on?

Offline d_l

• Forecaster
  • Slide Mtn - Mt Rose
    • Thomas Creek Estates neighborhood weather
Re: Weatherlink ftps screwey
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 12:06:38 PM »
If you suspect your ISP's FTP server is having problems, you should manually test FTP uploads to it with another FTP program on your computer during one of the intervals that WL is failing its uploads.  This is how I discovered that my ISP was having FTP problems.
--Dave--

Wireless VP2 w/ solar, 24hr FARS, Heater, (Envoy-WLIP)*3-Meteohub, plus custom VP2 @ 26', WL 6.0.4, WU & W4U=KNVRENO37 NetcamXL

People always talk about the weather, but they never do anything about it.  Not me.  I'm gonna measure it.  https://www.tceweather.com

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 01:28:41 PM »
don't think it is the ISP.  I am using the same ISP  with weatherdisplay and it is loading just fine.

I shut off everything competing  and it is hanging just before the thing uploads..
here is the log for that software..  It does it if I use 5.8.3 as well....   The program is hanging there... it is set for 15 minute uploads.  It could be the ISP, but I am having no problems with weatherdisplay, running on the same computer and going to the same site.

10/22/11 11:59a Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11 11:54a (Toubes) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 10/22/11 11:54a Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11 11:14a Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11 11:09a (Toubes) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1 2 4 5  completed OK.
 10/22/11 10:29a Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11 10:26a (Toubes) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1 2 4 5  partially completed. See error messages below.
 10/22/11 10:25a Error (12002) uploading file "RainHistory.gif" to location "public_html\vantageprodata\". WeatherLink will reset the FTP connection and try again.
 10/22/11 10:23a Error (text given below) while uploading file "OutsideHumidity.gif" to location "public_html\vantageprodata\". WeatherLink will reset the FTP connection and try again.
 10/22/11 10:23a (FTP) 200 TYPE is now 8-bit binary

200 PORT command successful

425 Could not open data connection to port 5050: Connection timed out

10/22/11  9:44a Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11  9:29a Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11  8:59a Downloaded Toubes ok.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 02:55:23 PM »
Suddenly on the 19th.. my weatherlink 5.9.3  stopped updating according to its schedule.    Some times maybe only every day.

the graphs are working and data is changing, but the images have stopped being updated and it often hangs.  ...

My weatherdisplay works fine...

Your WLIP uploads to WeatherLink.com seem to be going OK.

I'm a bit confused about what different things WeatherLink and Weatherdisplay are doing.  Are both of those software programs sending data to your http://www.weatheraardvark.com/ site?  Along with various other links, etc.?

Both WeatherLink and Weatherdisplay are accessing the WLIP?  Any other weather-related software you are running?

Oh, what other system changes did you do on the 19th?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 03:04:49 PM »
I didn't make any system changes.
Both programs are sending data to the same site, but different directories.  I have one referenced for only WL gif/jpg etc and the other for WD.

I am also running Interwarn and it is fine.

I went to my ISp and they look like things are fine, but one never knows unless we ask.   

The IP  is on a different machine, well... it actually goes directly into the modem and I use an Iframe on my site to bring the image on to the page.

It might clear up in a few days.  I am getting data, but when the upload gets past the create images, the program freezes.   I do not change things other than periodically the WD software as something is added that I am interested in having.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 04:20:30 PM »

Both programs are sending data to the same site, but different directories.  I have one referenced for only WL gif/jpg etc and the other for WD.

Both programs are sending at the same time?  Any chance your provider limits simultaneous ftp connections?  Or has a problem of some sort?

The IP  is on a different machine, well... it actually goes directly into the modem and I use an Iframe on my site to bring the image on to the page.

Are you saying that the WeatherLinkIP is on a different network from the PC where WeatherLink software is running?

Also, you're not using something that is designed to allow two or more weather programs to access the same logger?  For instance, VirtualVP>

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 04:28:04 PM »
no,  none of  those things... I am guessing the isp. Maybe it is a good time to consider revising the site..  it is a little long in the tooth.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 04:48:01 PM »
Both programs are sending at the same time? 

no,  none of  those things...

So, how do you keep WeatherLink and Weatherdisplay from trying to access the WeatherLinkIP logger at the same time? 

Or are the two programs getting their data from different places?

I'm probably being dense because I missed understanding some piece of information about how your software is set up.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2011, 05:10:31 PM »
I see what you are saying.. yes, I use virtual VP.

The problem is with the FTP ... no change in settings, nothing changed. October 29 is when things went south... I see the data being up dated, for some reason WL is bogged down.   Still going to wait a bit more.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 09:14:38 PM »
I am wondering if it is the FTP portion from this,  I am supposedly expecting something every 15 minutes.

From the log so far

10/22/11  8:06p (Toubes) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1 2 3 4 5  partially completed. See error messages below.
 10/22/11  8:06p (FTP) Error (12002) uploading file "downld08.txt" to location "public_html\vantageprodata\".
 10/22/11  8:05p Error (12002) uploading file "downld08.txt" to location "public_html\vantageprodata\". WeatherLink will reset the FTP connection and try again.
 10/22/11  7:14p Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11  7:06p (Toubes) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1 2 3 4 5  completed OK.
 10/22/11  6:14p Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11  6:06p (Toubes) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1 2 3 4 5  completed OK.
 10/22/11  5:14p Downloaded Toubes ok.
 10/22/11  5:04p (Toubes) Upload of Data Upload Profile(s) 1  completed OK.
 10/22/11  5:03p Downloaded Toubes ok.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 10:54:26 AM »
From my ISP

Thank you for contacting support. It appears that your public IP address is switching during transfer, or possibly you may also be on a network connection with multiple IP addresses and connections. Here is what our FTP logs show repeatedly:

Oct 23 07:07:40 host394 pure-ftpd: (weathera@71.32.161.197) [INFO] Logout.
Oct 23 07:07:43 host394 pure-ftpd: (?@66.147.240.194) [INFO] New connection from 66.147.240.194 Oct 23 07:07:43 host394 pure-ftpd: (?@66.147.240.194) [INFO] Logout.
Oct 23 07:08:09 host394 pure-ftpd: (?@71.32.161.197) [INFO] New connection from 71.32.161.197 Oct 23 07:08:09 host394 pure-ftpd: (?@71.32.161.197) [INFO] weathera is now logged in

The connection drops when your IP switches, the logs back in with a new IP.

A workaround would be to ensure that you are using passive FTP and only connecting through a single IP address

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 11:02:24 AM »
So have you  tried switching to passive FTP mode?
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 11:13:44 AM »
So have you  tried switching to passive FTP mode?
Just switched it over.

I also set all the upload profiles to the same offset and intervals...  I am noticing that it hangs a lot.  I also sent a note off to Davis.

If it keeps up, I am switching all that over to Wdisplay and re adjust the web page.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2011, 12:47:36 PM »
From my ISP

Thank you for contacting support. It appears that your public IP address is switching during transfer, or possibly you may also be on a network connection with multiple IP addresses and connections. Here is what our FTP logs show repeatedly:

Oct 23 07:07:40 host394 pure-ftpd: (weathera@71.32.161.197) [INFO] Logout.
Oct 23 07:07:43 host394 pure-ftpd: (?@66.147.240.194) [INFO] New connection from 66.147.240.194 Oct 23 07:07:43 host394 pure-ftpd: (?@66.147.240.194) [INFO] Logout.
Oct 23 07:08:09 host394 pure-ftpd: (?@71.32.161.197) [INFO] New connection from 71.32.161.197 Oct 23 07:08:09 host394 pure-ftpd: (?@71.32.161.197) [INFO] weathera is now logged in

The connection drops when your IP switches, the logs back in with a new IP.

A workaround would be to ensure that you are using passive FTP and only connecting through a single IP address

OK, who is your ISP?  [I'm guessing it's Qwest]

And what are your internet connections?  What software do you have  with multiple public IP addresses (or thinks it should be using 66.147.240.194)?

71.32.161.197 belongs to Qwest
66.147.240.194 belongs to Bluehost (web hosting provider in Utah) - and that is the IP address assigned to your web site http://www.weatheraardvark.com/   66.147.240.194 translates to "host394.hostmaster.com"

And you are located in Iowa (nothing wrong with using a hosting provider somewhere else, of course).

Why is your ISP seeing a connection request from 66.147.240.194?  That is apparently coming from your location.

Later thought:  Perhaps you have set your WeatherLinkIP to think it has a static IP address of 66.147.240.194?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:40:05 PM by dalecoy »

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 01:13:25 PM »
Wow....  I know this off topic and unsolicited.   But,   there is so much stuff on that site it made me dizzy to try and look at it.    My opinion ( I know not ask for)  you need to simplify that thing

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 04:43:41 PM »
Wow....  I know this off topic and unsolicited.   But,   there is so much stuff on that site it made me dizzy to try and look at it.    My opinion ( I know not ask for)  you need to simplify that thing

In 86 days  my contract expires.  I may shove the whole thing.   

The amount of data is to show climatic conditions, I spend a lot of time studying the scientific aspects of weather...

If it makes you too dizzy, then I suggest not looking at it.    Perhaps  a nice Wisconsin Weather Rock would be more suitable for you.   

I need to do only 2 things, pay taxes and die.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 05:30:34 PM »
Appearance and content is clearly up to the site designer. 

Answering the questions that I asked doesn't fit into "pay taxes and die", of course.

Another guess (more-detailed):  Your  WeatherLinkIP is plugged directly into your internet modem, and has been configured with a fixed IP address of 66.147.240.194.  All other devices on your network have private addresses assigned by your router (which may also be your modem). 

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2011, 05:43:57 PM »
I don't see a way around that.   I am going to wager that perhaps an update from Microsoft or something within Weatherdisplay might be problem.  Then again, it could be something that fixes it self over time.   One of those mysteries of life.

Then again, something could corrupted within the software as well

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2011, 06:17:46 PM »
a parting shot.... it seems to be updating about an hour off... I wonder if I set the upload time to less than 15 minutes...   I just hate going downt the basement, my knees are bothering me again.

I can't get to the accupuncturist because my teaching load is huge, lots of meeting, district and peer rounds and so forth.   So  getting relief isn't in the cards.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 06:34:58 PM »
I don't see a way around that.  

Around what?

If what you are referring to is:

Your  WeatherLinkIP is plugged directly into your internet modem, and has been configured with a fixed IP address of 66.147.240.194.  ...

...if that is an accurate guess on my part, then the configuration is absolutely and flatly incorrect and is the direct cause of the problems you are experiencing.

If my guess is not an accurate description of your configuration, then I apologize.  Just tell me it's inaccurate, and perhaps describe the configuration.

If it's accurate, then I'll be happy to explain why it likely causes problems, and provide a couple of ways to fix it.

Otherwise, please say "what" you don't see a way around.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 07:02:23 PM »
I really do not know.  The config hadn't changed until I started this thread.  My wife has been complaining that the internet is slow... I did a speed check at it is fine 36 down, 5 up..  it is fine.

It could be a lot...  I appreciate the assistance that you are providing.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 09:49:54 PM »
I really do not know.  The config hadn't changed until I started this thread.  My wife has been complaining that the internet is slow... I did a speed check at it is fine 36 down, 5 up..  it is fine.

It could be a lot...  I appreciate the assistance that you are providing.

I don't quite understand.  I may be able to provide better assistance if you answer some really simple questions:

Is the WLIP plugged into the modem?  If not, what is it plugged into?

Does the WLIP have a static (fixed) address?  If so, what is it?

If you open a browser (IE or Firefox or whatever) and type in the address   http://www.whatismyip.com/   - what numbers do you see in the "Your IP Address Is" place?

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2011, 07:22:12 AM »
well.. it does update, but not on the schedule  I would want.    The upstairs computer is fine, but down.. naw..   Pretty sure it is the program, not the connection.

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2011, 10:22:42 AM »
well.. it does update, but not on the schedule  I would want.    The upstairs computer is fine, but down.. naw..  

Oh.  There are two computers involved?  What program(s) are running on the upstairs computer, and what one(s) on the downstairs one?  
And how does VirtualVP figure into this mix?

Pretty sure it is the program, not the connection.

Which program?  In addition to VirtualVP, there are THREE (at least):
1.  Weather Display
2.  WeatherLink computer software.
3.  The firmware within the WeatherLinkIP that uploads to WeatherLink.com

It is really really really tough to try to help if you won't answer questions like I have already asked, and continue to also reveal additional details about how your hardware and software are configured.

Does anybody else want to get into this conversation and try to help?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 10:36:32 AM by dalecoy »

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2011, 02:14:55 PM »
if its just simply a problem of wlink not doing FTP uploads as frequently as it should (and when it does, its all OK)
then check if there is a low memory or high cpu problem on the pc
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com