Author Topic: Station for indoor temps only  (Read 4200 times)

Offline evansayre1

Station for indoor temps only
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
I heat with wood and want to get a station that will show the temp in as many rooms as possible.

I would also prefer a display with as many temps on it as possible.

I already have a Oregon Scientific station with three remote temp sensors, but I don't need to stick with it.

Thanks in advance!

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline jcma

Re: Station for indoor temps only
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 01:48:52 PM »
i have a similar but more specific need.  i would like to monitor indoor versus outdoor temperature inside my house and need to have about 6-8 inside monitors.  i also need to have this info recorded  onto my PC so i can correlate outdoor temps to indoor temps inside the house over time.

any suggestions as to the HW/SW that would do this well?  (price is of course also a consideration)
thanks 

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:03:24 PM »
Wired or wireless?  In the case of the former, you can do this dead simple and cheap with Dallas/Maxim 1-Wire sensors.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 02:11:04 PM »
i have a similar but more specific need.  i would like to monitor indoor versus outdoor temperature inside my house and need to have about 6-8 inside monitors.  i also need to have this info recorded  onto my PC so i can correlate outdoor temps to indoor temps inside the house over time.
any suggestions as to the HW/SW that would do this well?  (price is of course also a consideration)
thanks 

What's your skill level?

A wireless VP2 with extra stations would do it, but be kinda kludgy and pricey. You could use 2 soil moisture/leaf wetness/temperature stations with 4 temp probes each, which would have to be wired to the stations.

A different alternative would be to build an Applied Digital network with as many Bobcat Temperature modules as you need (up to their addressing limit). Then you'd need an Ocelot or touch-screen Leopard for the interface, and to get the data to a computer. Probably not the best way...

This is getting away from weather and into home automation somewhat, so maybe look at some of the home automation sites for better ideas. www.smarthome.com or www.thehomeautomationstore.com come to mind.

Offline RainmanWeather

• Senior Contributor
    • RainmanWeather
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 08:32:34 PM »
Here is something that may work for jcma situation also: Weather Direct® TX60 Online Temp/Humidity Monitor & Online Alert System
Not sure that this applies for the OP but worth a look.

Offline gadget_guy

• Forecaster
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:36:46 AM »
I had a similar need.  I have a second home that will soon become my permanent retirement home.  I needed to monitor both indoor and outdoor temperature.  The house has electric baseboard heat and so I wanted to monitor the temp in a number of rooms and basement as well.  I settled on an Oregon Scientific WMR200 with a bunch of extra sensors.  Originally I had some issues losing connection to a couple of outdoor sensors, but I overcame the problem with an improved antenna.  I suspect there is foil faced insulation in the walls.

I have the WMR 200 feeding a laptop that runs unattended.  I update weather Underground as well as my own web site.  I use LogMeIn to manage the laptop remotely.  In fact I can even do so from my Droid.  All in all it is a solution that works well for me.

KVAMCGAH2 - Massanutten VA Davis
KVAMASSA2 -Massanutten VA Oregon Scientific
WA2ONG

Offline SLOweather

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
    • Weatherelement Moline IL
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 11:37:51 AM »
I've been meaning to post this for a while. Cyberguys.com has several stand-alone temp and temp/hum monitors.

From the web page...

Kits with different combinations of temperature and temperature/humidity sensors are available as parts 115 6525, 115 6527, 115 6535 and 115 6537. Temperature and temperature/humidity sensors are not available individually.
TemperatureAlert monitors the ambient temperature and alerts you via e-mail when it rises or falls outside your acceptable range. This WiFi-enabled version of TemperatureAlert is accurate to within half a degree Celsius, and can report temperatures from -40 degrees to 93 degrees C. Real-time graphing and XML support provide you with the tools you need to integrate temperature readings into websites or third party applications. Includes two temperature sensors and six feet of connecting cable each.

# Logs temperature readings to text and XML
# Real-time temperature graph
# Support for SMTP authentication
# Linux OS with Web-based interface
# Accepts Power over Ethernet

Offline wxtech

• Weather Equipment Technician
  • Forecaster
  • USAF Weather Equipment Maintenance Tech (retired)
    • Lexington, Ga. Weather
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 11:52:39 AM »
Here is something that may work for jcma situation also: Weather Direct® TX60 Online Temp/Humidity Monitor & Online Alert System
Not sure that this applies for the OP but worth a look.
I have one of these.  The WeatherDirect online support site quit.  My station still works but there isn't an online site to send the data.  The gateway was an Ethernet device that connected to my router.
Bushman, I agree with your 1-wire suggestion. 
Al
Al Washington, Lexington, Ga.,  NWS Coop station=LXTG1, Fischer Porter, SRG, MMTS. 
CoCoRaHS=GA-OG-1. CWOP=CW2074.  Davis VP2+ WLIP 5.9.2, VP(original) serial, VWS v15.00 p02. ImageSalsa, Win7 & Win8 all-in-one.

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 12:42:45 PM »
I've been meaning to post this for a while. Cyberguys.com has several stand-alone temp and temp/hum monitors.

From the web page...

Kits with different combinations of temperature and temperature/humidity sensors are available as parts 115 6525, 115 6527, 115 6535 and 115 6537. Temperature and temperature/humidity sensors are not available individually.
TemperatureAlert monitors the ambient temperature and alerts you via e-mail when it rises or falls outside your acceptable range. This WiFi-enabled version of TemperatureAlert is accurate to within half a degree Celsius, and can report temperatures from -40 degrees to 93 degrees C. Real-time graphing and XML support provide you with the tools you need to integrate temperature readings into websites or third party applications. Includes two temperature sensors and six feet of connecting cable each.

# Logs temperature readings to text and XML
# Real-time temperature graph
# Support for SMTP authentication
# Linux OS with Web-based interface
# Accepts Power over Ethernet

$334 bucks!  YOUCH!  I bought a couple of CAI Webcontrol boxes that do the same thing - each cost 30 bucks and sensors were 5-15 each.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline FrozenPenguin

• FrozenPenguin
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 09:13:46 AM »

I can second gadget_guy's post.   

The WMR200 will support 10 temperatur/hygro sensors total.   If you get the THGR810 sensors, they also have the display on them.   The display itself shows all of them, but not at the same time.  you can scan through them manually, or have unit switch sensor continously.  I have 1 additional indoor for now, but planning on getting 3-4 more.  The sensors are reasonably priced as well (imo).

Oregon Scientific WMR200A + UV

Weather Site | | CWOP:7791

anything