Author Topic: My Station and Room  (Read 15111 times)

Offline JOE

• Forecaster
    • Centralia IL Weather
My Station and Room
« on: January 11, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »
Here's a shot of my Station.  Looks a lot like everyone else's VP2, except it's on "my" roof".

And here's my weather room.  I straightened it up a bit prior to snapping the picture.  Computer on left will be gone as soon as I get the "crap" off of it that I want to keep.

Joe
www.centraliaweather.com
DW1376
KILCENTR2
K9RJN

Offline Axelvold

• Forecaster
    • Axelvold's weather and photo
Re: My Station and Room
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 03:33:20 PM »
nice and neat, that's the way it should be  :grin:
Lars Magnusson
Axelvold / Sweden
55° 57' 41" N / 13° 6' 1" E
WX Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2009, 04:46:36 PM »

That's true.  But I don't see evidence of any guy wires attached to the setup so it can stand up to high wind gusts, such as during a storm.  And how likely is it to stay up even when guy wired?  This is why I keep my pro 2 w/FARS together on a post, pictured below, so I wouldn't have to worry about such a thing. Maybe I'm too lazy to get on my roof as well.   I try not to care too much that as a result my wind speed indication is often lower than what's indicated at my local airport's weather station, whose anemometer is apparently installed at the standard height.

http://stillwaterweather.com
« Last Edit: April 04, 2009, 05:00:03 PM by Bunty »

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 07:39:16 PM »
That roof install is plenty stable enough without guy wires. It would take a tornado to rip that off of there. Then, at that point, the last thing I would be worried about is my weather station.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline Bunty

• Forecaster
  • Stillwater, home of Oklahoma State University
    • Welcome to Stillwater Weather
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 09:45:53 PM »
OK, I hope you're right.

Also the 2nd home page using modified AltDashboard 6.95 at http://stillwaterweather.com/2ndhome.php

Offline racenet

• Forecaster
    • NH Weather Data
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:00:56 AM »
OK, I hope you're right.

I know I am. Mine is mounted the same way and has been there for a long time.  ;)

Bob
www.theamericanflagstore.com - The American Flag Store

www.nhweatherdata.com - NH Weather Data

Offline StormChase Group

• Hi-Tec-Red-Nek
    • The Weather BB
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 01:57:28 AM »
Nice setup Joe!!! That is what I hope to have here soon :D
Shawn Gossman
The Weather BB - A free weather and climate message forum open to all ages.
StormChase Group - My Storm Chasing Videos on YouTube.com.

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
    • Fairfield County Weather
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 11:18:03 PM »
Those tripods are pretty darn stable really.  The weakest link on them is the attachment of the legs to the roof.  They really need to be lag bolted either right into a joist or 2x4's cross braces fastened to the joists or even better using long bolts  through the legs with washers and nuts inside the attic.  On newer homes especially the roof sheeting just won't cut it given the constant prying of the wind.  The wind loading of a weather station is much less IMHO then that of  average size TV antenna for which they were originally designed and used for.
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 12:43:28 AM »
But I don't see evidence of any guy wires attached to the setup so it can stand up to high wind gusts, such as during a storm.  And how likely is it to stay up even when guy wired?

Here is what can happen to a properly mounted tripod when an improperly mounted guy-wire pulls loose in a wind storm. My first indication of this was when I started getting 0 mph wind speeds (guy-wire hitting the wind cups)

The aftermath (zoom in on the roof) - the tripod is fine, the mast is buckled, the FM antenna was not damaged and it protected the disc-cone antenna & the anemometer

That problem has been corrected

New & Old bolts

The FM antenna (catching all the wind) has been lowered to the top of the tripod, I never really used the rotor, so I removed it which allowed me to move the anemometer higher.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline DanS

• Chiang Mai weather
  • Forecaster
    • ThaiWx
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 01:13:35 AM »
Looks like it may have been a whole lot more expensive to repair if not for the FM antenna. I believe the tensile strength of those guy wires would give out first before those new support beams move. Appears you're covered now. Good job.

Offline LFWX

• Forecaster
  • Liberty Township, Butler County, Ohio
    • Liberty Fairfield Weather Center
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 01:46:45 AM »
Looks like it may have been a whole lot more expensive to repair if not for the FM antenna. I believe the tensile strength of those guy wires would give out first before those new support beams move. Appears you're covered now. Good job.
Yea, I don't know what I was thinking about when I installed the original (smaller) hooks through the sheathing into the truss (if they were even long enough to reach the truss)

The tripod is also bolted to 4x4s spanning between trusses, thus it didn't move during the storm.
Station: Davis Vantage Pro2 Fan Aspirated
Software: Virtual Weather Station V14.00p64
www.LFWeatherCenter.com
CWOP: DW1039
CoCoRaHS: OH-BT-1
Weather Underground: KOHHAMIL7
Weather For You: DW1039
Midwestern Weather Network

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 12:52:38 AM »
If that hook pulls out of the roof now, your going to have a lot bigger things to worry about. ;)
Mark 
2002 Davis VP I Wireless, WeatherLink (Serial), GRLevel3, VirtualVP, StartWatch, Weather Display, Windows 10

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 08:07:02 AM »
If that hook pulls out of the roof now, your going to have a lot bigger things to worry about. ;)

I agree with Mark!
Nice job securing the guy wires, and a very nice rooftop setup.
Plenty of "stuff" there to catch the wind, though.
I can see why you'd need to guy it.
 8-)

Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »

That's true.  But I don't see evidence of any guy wires attached to the setup so it can stand up to high wind gusts, such as during a storm.  And how likely is it to stay up even when guy wired?  This is why I keep my pro 2 w/FARS together on a post, pictured below, so I wouldn't have to worry about such a thing. Maybe I'm too lazy to get on my roof as well.   I try not to care too much that as a result my wind speed indication is often lower than what's indicated at my local airport's weather station, whose anemometer is apparently installed at the standard height.

http://stillwaterweather.com

I too have my station mounted to a 4x4.  Like you, my wind readings suffer a little bit, but my temperature and humidity are spot on.  Plus, my home is newer and the roof pitch is just too dangerous for an old fart like me to tackle.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2009, 12:50:55 PM »
I mentioned this before but there are a lot of unused antenna towers out there now that TV is all digital. I'm sure most home owners would give them away for free.  Perfect set up for an anemometer.

Offline sam2004gp

• Mount Crawford, Virginia
  • Forecaster
  • Weeeeeeeee!!!!
    • Mount Crawford Weather, VA
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2009, 01:40:32 PM »
I mentioned this before but there are a lot of unused antenna towers out there now that TV is all digital. I'm sure most home owners would give them away for free.  Perfect set up for an anemometer.

I would get one, if somebody would put in a good word for me at my homeowners association.  It took a big effort just to get my OS station like this.

SAM --->>> http://www.mountcrawfordweather.org
OS WMR-968 with a Dedicated PWS Weather Computer running VWS v13.01 p09

Offline lddaly

• Forecaster
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2009, 01:46:38 PM »
I would get one, if somebody would put in a good word for me at my homeowners association.

Same here. ](*,)

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2009, 12:32:11 AM »
Nice thing about a tower is you do not need to get out a ladder to get up there.  Bad part is the rungs get a bit slippery during an ice storm when the anemometer is froze up.   ;)

Here's mine:

My ISS is still low for easy access:

Mark 

Offline W3DRM

• Forecaster
    • Emmett Weather
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2009, 04:07:32 PM »
Mark,

Is that an aluminum or steel tower and what size, manufacturer/model is it? I'm in the market for one to put my anemometer on as well as some of my ham antennas.

I'm jealous, of course...  :-)

Don - W3DRM - Emmett, Idaho --- Blitzortung ID: 808 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-KBOI7
Davis Wireless VP2, WD 10.37s150,
StartWatch, VirtualVP, VPLive, Win10 Pro
--- Logitech HD Pro C920 webcam (off-line)
--- RIPE Atlas Probe - 32849

Offline Mark / Ohio

• Live from Mars!
  • Forecaster
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2009, 10:55:03 PM »
Mark,

Is that an aluminum or steel tower and what size, manufacturer/model is it? I'm in the market for one to put my anemometer on as well as some of my ham antennas.

It's steel tower, installed in 1985.  My uncle worked as a route salesman for a distributor of Channel Master brand at the time.  I don't think it is available anymore.  I like it as the larger diameter rungs are easier on the feet then the small welded rod type cross supports that you see on most tower.  It came in the typical 10' bolt together sections.
Mark 

Offline port1

• Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2009, 08:42:07 AM »
 :eek:  I'd like a tower like that myself!  I'm sure my neighbors would complain though. :-x
Your setup is nice!  Very nice!
Yup...it pays to live "out in the country".
 8-)
Henry
KNYFLORA5
WMR968
VWS v14.00 p73
CoCoRaHS NY-NS-7
CWOP DW1891
SKYWARN 09-148

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2009, 04:03:23 PM »
How deep do you sink your tower into the ground?  Do you pour concrete for the base?  Guy wires?  I would like to go that route someday.

Offline ocala

• Forecaster
  • The blues had a baby and named it rock n roll
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2009, 05:08:32 PM »

This is my setup. You can see the peak of the house in the bottom part of the pic. Right where the tower meets the roof it's secured to the house. No guy wires needed here but if you make it free standing without upper support then guy wires are a must. The tower came with the house but I'm assuming it's several feet in the ground.
You can just barley out my anny about a foot and a half below the antenna. I guess I do need to get up there and take that antenna down although it is pretty high up there.

Offline Stormtracker

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2009, 06:00:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply-- how do you, or do you, ground the tower?

Offline floodcaster

• Forecaster
    • Goose Lake Weather
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2009, 06:48:11 PM »

This is my setup. You can see the peak of the house in the bottom part of the pic. Right where the tower meets the roof it's secured to the house. No guy wires needed here but if you make it free standing without upper support then guy wires are a must. The tower came with the house but I'm assuming it's several feet in the ground.
You can just barley out my anny about a foot and a half below the antenna. I guess I do need to get up there and take that antenna down although it is pretty high up there.

Wow, that picture looks familiar. :-) Here's my setup for the anemometer.
Bill

anything