Author Topic: New Vantage Vue owner needs help  (Read 32122 times)

Offline magiraffe

New Vantage Vue owner needs help
« on: June 30, 2013, 09:02:21 AM »
Hi..I am new to this forum and weather stations and just purchased & received my Davis Vantage Vue...(shd be up & running today or tomorrow.)  I want to be able to put my weather info from where I live onto the internet, as I have been reading about you all doing that. But I don't have any idea what  I need or how hard it wld be to do. (Or how expensive) Do I have to have my console plugged into my computer at all times & does my computer have to be left on all the time? I wld appreciate any and all help.  Ty in advance.  Nancy

Growing older is mandatory
Growing up is optional!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 10:00:50 AM by magiraffe »
Growing up is optional!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
Re: New Vantage Vue owner needs help
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 10:14:20 AM »
Simple answer:  you have to do ONE of two things:

Purchase the WeatherLinkIP, plug it into your console, and have it connected to your home router at all times; or

Purchase the WeatherLink logger (USB or Serial version), plug it into your console, connect to your computer, and have the computer running 24/7.

Note: there are about 15 other alternatives that are more complicated, and I'm sure other folks will mention them.  I'm just assuming that you want something that's simple to do.

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 01:52:36 PM »
Growing up is optional!!

That is an awesome quote :)

as dalecoy suggested at minimu you will need the WeatherLinkUSB logger.
BUT there is a very cheap alternative regarding the 24/7 PC.
Head over to amazon.com and buy your self one of this: TP-LINK-TL-MR3020-Wireless-Portable
They also sell them at fry's electronic if you have one locally.
Than head over to: MeteoBridge
And follow their instructions to load their firmware to your tp-link.
Is very inexpensive compare to having a dedicated computer on at all times.
Though computers do not cost much to run as far as energy cost/consumption...
There is + and - to which ever way you go...

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
    • West Coast Road Weather Data
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 08:17:05 PM »
a netbook with a atom CPU does not cost much to run
Brian
info@weather-display.com
http://www.weather-display.com

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 09:07:16 PM »
a netbook with a atom CPU does not cost much to run

800% more than a Meteobridge.  :)
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »
but look at the flexibility it gives you
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 10:05:00 PM »
Perhaps you folks should first find out what Nancy actually wants to do, how computer-savvy she is, and how much work she wants to do - before arguing the merits of your solutions.

Offline Weather Display

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:41:21 PM »
which goes along with pushing meteohub onto people all the time without first knowing if thats actually what they are after
Brian
info@weather-display.com

Offline magiraffe

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 03:22:05 PM »
Thanks for the help...I am not good with computers, except to find and visit websites read articles and make purchases...I do have wireless internet so I don' t know if that is good or not as to what I need & want...I wld prefer not to leave my comp on all the time as I have a tablet I use 99% of the time & not have my console hooked up to my comp all the time....didn't get the weather station up yet..rain yesterday & this afternoon  tornado warnings..again ty for the help...Nancy
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 03:24:05 PM by magiraffe »
Growing up is optional!!

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 06:30:05 PM »
Perhaps you folks should first find out what Nancy actually wants to do, how computer-savvy she is, and how much work she wants to do - before arguing the merits of your solutions.
Amen, Bro. Dale  ;)
As Nancy implied, she may need coaching on what questions to ask, bless 'er heart!. Having been there myself it's an awkward feeling, especially when the old macho in me wouldn't admit I didn't know what the Hades they were talking about! "What's a PWS? What's CWOP? Datalogger--sounds like the father of a bunch of lumberjacks to me... .

Don't give up, Nancy. These guys and gals will help you... it's what we do... Your weather station is yours and as Dale said, try to help us understand what you want to do with it, and somebody's already done it,  and this bunch of weatherites will help you understand, and put the idea into action!

Offline txweather.org

• Forecaster
    • Texas Weather
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 06:38:55 PM »
I hope you guys know that I am not pushing anything to nobody. Just giving Nancy here an option/idea.
That's what this forum is all about... Helping each other out.

----
Davis Vantage Pro2 Plus +FARS|Meteobridge Nano SD|Meteohub|Meteobridge MR-3020|WU KTXSPRIN75/PWS JRARGWX75/CWOP EW2972/WBB TXWDVUE75/Blitzortung ID: 1142|AWEKAS: 12095
Donations are welcome: https://paypal.me/ffuentesb

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 07:10:02 PM »
I hope you guys know that I am not pushing anything to nobody. Just giving Nancy here an option/idea.
That's what this forum is all about... Helping each other out.

+1
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 09:27:29 PM »
Nancy, it seems to me from what you have said that you are hunting for an "appliance" that you can just buy, hook up and it works.  Let's see if that's possible.

...I do have wireless internet so I don' t know if that is good or not as to what I need & want...

OK, please try to describe how you get your internet service.  Do you get it from the telephone company, or from a cable TV company, or ????? -- Or are you perhaps in a building that furnishes internet to residents?

Or, do you perhaps have a little device of some kind that's connected to some sort of wiring, and that provides your wireless internet? 

Is your computer (not the tablet) hooked to the internet "wirelessly" - or by a cord that's plugged into something?

Enough questions for a start.

Offline kalenshah

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 05:42:24 AM »
WUNDERGROUND ID:IENGLAND406                                                             Live IP

Offline magiraffe

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 07:03:14 AM »
I get my internet through my cable company (charter). I have a "motorola sbg900 wireless surfboard gateway" that my cord from the cable co. is plugged into. As you can tell I am not very good at this. I hope that is what you need to know to help me out..any other questions feel free to ask...I really appreciate all the help & suggestions..Nancy
Growing up is optional!!

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »
I get my internet through my cable company (charter). I have a "motorola sbg900 wireless surfboard gateway" that my cord from the cable co. is plugged into. As you can tell I am not very good at this. I hope that is what you need to know to help me out..any other questions feel free to ask...I really appreciate all the help & suggestions..Nancy
Yay! Now we're in business!
I suppose there's nothing else connected to that Motorola box except the cable'?  (Why don't we call that the "modem" from now on)  From what you said before, you are just using the wireless connection to the modem.
So we know you have Cable Internet, using a Surfboard Wireless Modem, and you're only using the wireless feature for now?
That modem can be called a 'hybrid', you can connect to it more than one way. You can also plug in another computer or device to the back of it.
Now, we can go from here. With us so far?

Offline magiraffe

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 09:24:49 AM »
I think I am with you so far :roll:...if not I will let you know...the "modem" has one opening left that something
can be plugged into...and it says USB..Nancy
Growing up is optional!!

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 09:39:34 AM »
Alright... now,
1. Is your computer plugged into the Top port on the back of the Modem?, or is there something else connected there? I think you were using your notebook on the wireless???
2. What type of Vantage Vue package did you get?
     That is, you've got the ISS (the station) and a Console, and a Power supply. Did you get a connection package and software? And tell us what they are.

Now, where we're headed, just so you'll know... you wanted to put your station on the internet, so the first thing we've got to do is make sure your computer and notebook, or other devices, in you home can see the station. Yes, you can see the data on the console, but in order to see it on your notebook / computer, it has to be changed to a web page! That's where your connection package and software that may have come with the Vantage Vue Comes in.  With Me?
So once we get it working in your home, then we've got a chance of getting it on the internet.

Offline George Richardson

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Smith Mountain Lake Weather
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
Nancy,

Did you get the "WeatherLink" package with your Vue? If so, what model, Serial, USB, or IP? You do need this to get the WeatherLink DataLogger to get info to the internet.

Do you have any weather software such as the free WeatherLink, Weather Display, Virtual Weather Station, Cumulus, or any other (which).

Now we should be able to get you going.

George

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2013, 10:14:53 AM »
The Surf cable modem uses wireless (useless for connecting her Vue to it) or USB.    If the current computer is using the wireless and she has the USB Weatherlink she could connect the Vue to the PC and then communicate to the net via the cable modem.  Same if she is using the USB connection to her pc.

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »
Easy guys, we've got new one here.
Data for the Motorola sbg900 wireless indicates Ethernet port is top port. I believe she may have her computer connected there.  A quick glance at the user's manual indicates some limited LAN (mostly wireless) available in the modem.

Nancy, don't forget to yell when we're over your head, especially in some of these 'asides'...  :lol:

Offline magiraffe

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2013, 10:26:19 AM »
My comp is plugged into the top port on the modem..i have a tablet...Samsung note 10.1..I just got the iss, console and
power supply cord...no pkg or software unless it came with it which I don't think it did...my "baby" is not up yet...my son is doing that part for me so by the time he got home from work yesterday it was raining again..no rain in forecast for today so hopefully tonight it will get mounted. so far I am following you..Nancy
Growing up is optional!!

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
My comp is plugged into the top port on the modem..i have a tablet...Samsung note 10.1..I just got the iss, console and
power supply cord...no pkg or software unless it came with it which I don't think it did...my "baby" is not up yet...my son is doing that part for me so by the time he got home from work yesterday it was raining again..no rain in forecast for today so hopefully tonight it will get mounted. so far I am following you..Nancy
Ok! Gotcha!  So what we need to do now is take a break until we find out exactly what you've got in the box.

Even though your son's doing the hard work, I think we'd all suggest strongly that you get into that box, (yeah, physically if you'll fit  :lol:) and read everything in there, and get as familiar as you can with stuff. Don't worry about understanding it, or memorizing it... just put an overview in your brain, at the very least look at the pictures  :-P :-P Then if you have an issue, and come to the forum about it, you won't feel so lost perhaps.
Where's the MaGiraffe come in, if you don't mind my asking???

Offline dalecoy

• Forecaster
    • Lee's Summit, MO
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
My comp is plugged into the top port on the modem...

That's OK. 

Assuming that you do not want your computer to be running 24/7, then to get your data to the internet, you'll eventually need an "Ethernet Switch" - which is sorta like one of those multiple-outlet things that you plug into the wall socket so you can plug in more appliances.  That will let you plug in more things that will connect to that top port. 

Ethernet Switches aren't very expensive - $20+ or so

Offline magiraffe

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2013, 12:13:05 PM »
I already did get everything out and put batteries in to make sure it worked..I have it plugged in next to my chair and play with it hoping to figure out how it all works and what things mean....course no wind, outside temps, etc....Sorry I can't fit into the box....being a mom (ma) and living in MA and giraffe is my fav large wild animal....will I need an ethernet switch or something else for sure...just wondered so I could order it today from Amazon Prime or pick something up tomorrow from BestBuy....Nancy
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 12:19:57 PM by magiraffe »
Growing up is optional!!