Author Topic: Using real cameras for webcams  (Read 3319 times)

Offline snapper

Using real cameras for webcams
« on: August 06, 2014, 03:48:48 AM »
Hi

Looking around, it seems most people are using traditional webcams for weather images.
Just wondered why it was gone this way rather than an old compact in remote control mode?
E.g a canon g5 can be had for less than the cost of a c920 but will provide a far better image quality...

Just curious that's all!

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
Re: Using real cameras for webcams
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 12:42:57 PM »
Found this in addition to some of the homegrown ones (like LANC for Sony)  http://sparkosoft.com/how-to-use-dslr-as-webcam  Looks interesting.
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 07:00:08 PM »
I have a DSLR version of SebecTec in development.  Using a Canon Rebel/T3 12MP DSLR.  One thing I need to find out is how many pictures it can take before the shutter fails.  What I have read says 100,000 shutter actuations.  The Olympus SP-500UZ has been very reliable and can take from my experience 2 million up to 5 million photos. 

-Mike

Offline josecmorales

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 09:05:32 PM »
There exist a lot of "real" camera using to take pics of the weather!, is a good idea, but have a little bit of works!, i know two stations using this type of camera, one in Argentina and the other in Spain
Vantage Pro2 + UV, Airlink, Purpleair, Meteobridge.
Twitter: ClimaGuayana
Blitzortung station: 2934
Weatherlink: ClimaGuayana

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 09:50:08 PM »
There are some out there but it's much simpler for most, use cameras that have the software and built in interfaces and designed for outdoor use.
SebecTec software works with a few of these cameras, I'll be setting up a Olympus SP-500UZ eventually as a snow board cam but will need to mount inside or use some kind of heater.
Some cameras like the Stardots can operate at -40 through+120F degrees. Many everyday handheld cameras have a much narrower temperature operating range.
Then the issue that sebeclake brought up, just how robust are these cameras when taking thousands of pictures.
Randy

Offline snapper

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 03:25:01 AM »
Then the issue that sebeclake brought up, just how robust are these cameras when taking thousands of pictures.

Thats a very good question and I guess depends on many variables such as previous use, build quality etc.
I guess the dSLR will have a shorter shutter life due to it being mechanical rather than a compact / prosumer with an electronic shutter.
If Mike is right with 100k actuations then a picture every minute would give a life of just under 2 years.

I looked at the SP500UZ but it seems the only software that can drive it is Sebectec which is unfortunately Windows only (I'm Linux / Mac)

I've got my eye on eblag for a Canon G5 which I can run using gphoto ( http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/ ) or Canon Capture ( http://capture.sourceforge.net ) so if the auction goes cheap enough, I'll set it up and document how it goes!

Offline Cutty Sark Sailor

• WxElement panel
  • Forecaster
    • Frankfort Weather - TwinHollies WeatherCenter
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:16:32 AM »
One reason I used the Logitech 920s and 910s was for simplicity... I had a Sony F717 which I experimented with, and did an excellent job, and also attempted with a Sony H7.  No way am I attempting this with my A65...  The 9xx Loggies were what I had available, and with a -2 or -3 diopter strapped across the lens do pretty much what I want... sky characteristics,... and I also found a below cost price at an 'out of business' deal, and bought all his c910PRO OEM packs and the two 920s he had left.. so I've spares, if needed. Now, If I lived in a location with a great scenery view...
On the other hand... to see what a few have done with Loggies and a negative diopter;... http://ourspecial.net/twinhollies/weathercenter/campage/index.html
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:28:42 AM by Cutty Sark Sailor »

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 11:40:51 AM »
You can run Windows on Mac using Boot Camp or some third party software like that.   SebecTec will work on a Mac in that case.  The Olympus SP-500UZ will operate without need for heating down to very low temperatures.  We have several outdoor cameras located in northern Maine that have seen temperatures as low as -30F with no operational issue.  This camera for instance has seen 3 Maine winters residing on a tower at Greenville, ME: mooseheadlake.us I think one would only need to look at the Greenville temperature history to verify the operational temperature range it had seen.  I have been impressed by the ruggedness of these cameras.

-Mike

Offline cmcgill

• Westford Weather
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2014, 08:03:24 PM »
I've been using the Sebectec software for over two years.  It's impossible to beat the quality of a digital camera.  With Mike's software, you can set it to take images a frequently as you'd like, and the software will create time lapses, which are really cool.  Click on my signature to see the pictures and time lapses.

I have my camera mounted inside in a window using a Panavise 809 suction cup mount.  To eliminate reflections at night, I have a shoe box taped to the window over the camera and mount with painters tape. 

I highly recommend Mike's software.  He's very responsive to requests also.

Offline snapper

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:20:55 PM »
Yeah, I did take a look at Sebectec - I'm not averse to changing OS for the right software suite (I virtualise everything on my ESXi server so can swap my VP2 and camera between OS's very quickly)

I must admit that I was impressed, if only it would composite multiple jpg/png/gif files onto the main captured photo prior to FTP upload and I would have been very tempted to move from Linux...

Offline snapper

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 07:26:18 PM »
I've got my eye on eblag for a Canon G5 which I can run using gphoto ( http://www.gphoto.org/doc/remote/ ) or Canon Capture ( http://capture.sourceforge.net ) so if the auction goes cheap enough, I'll set it up and document how it goes!

Well I won the G5 for a good price and have installed it in a waterproof box on the roof. Software is gphoto for capture and imagemagick to overlay weather data, running on Debian Linux.

I'm very impressed with the image quality!

Just need to take a few photos and polish off some scripts and i'll share what I've done for future reference :)

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 07:45:59 PM »
Snapper,

"if only it would composite multiple jpg/png/gif files onto the main captured photo prior to FTP upload"  - SebecTec.com/ipcam can put up to 3 images onto the captured photo prior to upload.  I think that is what you are asking?  You can resize, control the transparency, x,y position and resize each image.  Use the Watermark tab under Setup.

-Mike

Offline snapper

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:58:39 PM »
Mike

Yep, thats what I'm after, but on the SP500 version (or upcoming dSLR version)

Cheers!

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 06:14:30 AM »
You're right!  It's not in the SP-500 version

-Mike

Offline sebeclake

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2014, 06:06:17 PM »
Whoa! I need to correct myself.  The SebecTec Olympus version does have multiple watermark capability.  I forgot I had added that one!  See sebectec.com/download

-Mike

Offline Beaudog

• Forecaster
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2014, 07:09:25 PM »
To anyone interested I can verify that this program will work with the cheap Nikon Coolpix cameras even though it is not one of the supported cameras. They are not SLR so you don't get an on screen image and there is no shutter controls because the cameras don't have that function  but it will control the camera and there is a scripting  function where you can easily write small scripts to make the camera take timed shots.    The one down side to me is that they will not charge the batteries thru the USB port so you have to have the power supply hooked to the camera. I had mine working with a Cool Pix 110 but I don't have the power supply so it ate batteries real fast.

http://digicamcontrol.com/

Offline Bushman

• Forecaster
    • Eagle Bay Weather
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2014, 12:39:16 AM »
Pretty neat app Beaudog.  Thx!
Need low cost IP monitoring?  http://wirelesstag.net/wta.aspx?link=NisJxz6FhUa4V67/cwCRWA or PM me for 50% off Wirelesstags!!

anything