Author Topic: Working on Controller board  (Read 1040 times)

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
Working on Controller board
« on: April 15, 2014, 04:22:32 PM »
I've been working on my kit that arrived a couple of weeks ago.  Amp board went without any problems.  It passed the self test.

But I'm onto the Controller board.  I'm at the point where I'm installing the 1N5818 diodes.  I found D52 and D53 no problem.  But the instructions only show D54 - D57.  But I have 6 diodes left.

Looking at the board, I'm assuming all 6 go between C62/C59 and C58/C57.  But the silkscreening is missing the last digit.  Can someone confirm that all 6 go here?

I also have some 224 ceramic capicitors and 100uf electrolitic capacitors I don't see on the assembly pages.  And some 338 what I think are transitors.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI

Offline dfroula

• Forecaster
Re: Working on Controller board
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2014, 04:53:09 PM »
You MUST use the latest version of the official Blitzortung manual for parts placement, or you will have several issues relating to placement of the diodes and capacitors (at least).

The latest version is here:  http://www.blitzortung.org/Documents/TOA_Blitzortung_RED.pdf?t=1397594881

D52 through D59 are the black diodes, 1N5818s.

D40 through D51 are the glass 1N4148 small signal diodes.

...both on page 38.

Best regards,

Don
WD9DMP

Offline Silversword

• --Stan Y.
  • Forecaster
    • Up Country Maui Weather
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 05:41:17 PM »
Hi,

I am also working on my controller board.  Those six 224 capacitors go around those 6 black diodes.  The four 100 uf electrolytic capacitors lay down around in the center of the board.

Be careful in the alignment of those network resistors.  Make sure the two that have a white square aligns with the dot on the network component.  I made an error with one of them and in the process of removing it, I cracked it in half. I wrote to Egon about it and he is sending me a replacement, so I am at a stand still until that part comes or construct one using discrete parts.

The newer board differ slightly from Don's assembly instructions.

I will construct those ferrite core antennas while I wait for that part to come.

Good luck with your project.

Regards,

--Stan Y.
   KH6HHG
   Maui, Hawaii
Stan Y. - KH6HHG - Maui, Hawaii
 --- Blitzortung ID: 993
 --- FlightRadar24 ID: F-PHOG1

WDL 6.05
MS Windows 7 Pro
Dell Optiplex GX280-Intel Pentium 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 4 GB RAM
Davis Vantage Pro 2+ Wireless
Webcam: Axis 211

Offline 92merc

• BismarckWeather.net
  • Forecaster
  • BismarckWeather.net
    • BismarckWeather.net
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2014, 06:24:19 PM »
Thanks Don.  That explains why I was short 3 104 capacitors too then.  I'll get those changed up tomorrow and continue working.

I received a degree in electronic technology 20 years ago.  This is the first time I've really been able to put my soldering skills to good use outside of wiring.  I'm enjoying it.

I have a nice Ungar soldering iron with new tips.  Plus a head mounted magnifying unit with LED's.  I can only work about 2 hours before my neck is sore.  I have neck issues...

Next "big" part of the project if all goes well will be getting some CAT5 shielded cable.  I'll put in one home run of Ethernet from my switch to the place in my garage I plan on installing the system.  Then hopefully it'll mainly be firmware and configuration.
https://www.BismarckWeather.net
Davis VP2, Cumulus, WeatherDisplay, Blitzortung, Saratoga Scripts, NOAA Stream via PI