Author Topic: Earthquake off Vancouver Island  (Read 2457 times)

Offline KeithBC

• Senior Contributor
Earthquake off Vancouver Island
« on: September 09, 2011, 03:52:09 PM »
USGS is putting it at a 6.7 magnitude, which is pretty large.  I felt it here, just a slight movement of the floor, lamps swaying, etc.  It lasted about a minute.

Offline Downlinerz2

• Forecaster
Re: Earthquake off Vancouver Island
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 04:33:09 PM »
    Glad you didn't have any damage! Lot's of fairly large quakes going on.  Hope it does not signal something to come.  All most all the way around the "ring of fire" there have been big earthquakes except along the section along California and northwards.  Least that is what I heard on the news back a few weeks ago.

Offline xykotik

• DonkeyTailWX DW6891
  • Forecaster
  • I'll deal with it tomorrow
    • DonkeyTail Weather
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:31:52 PM »
I am losing confidence in the local "earthquake tracker" website, because it shows nothing.  I hope they are not discriminating against Canadian shakers, especially so close to Washington and Alaska.

Facit solem suum oriri super bonos et malos et pluit super iustos et iniustos.

Springtime in Seattle...  March comes in like a lion and out like a wet lion.

Offline KeithBC

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 12:47:55 AM »
I am losing confidence in the local "earthquake tracker" website, because it shows nothing.  I hope they are not discriminating against Canadian shakers, especially so close to Washington and Alaska.
Well, I was quite impressed with the USGS website.  Within about three minutes, they had the big red square up on the map with a preliminary magnitude estimate.  The Canadian equivalent, in contrast, had no data that was less than a week old, and didn't get anything up for about half an hour.

Offline mackbig

• Forecaster
    • Mackie's Main Street, Unionville, ON Canada Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 09:28:47 PM »
Keith,
I have noticed that if more than 20 people visit the Canadian earthquake site, it gets overloaded.  Joking about 20, but still, the two shakes we have felt in Toronto in the last 2 years have created enough visitors to crash their site.  Pretty embarrasing.  I am going to add Ken's usgs script on my page so there is some info there for the next quake within 500kms of me.

Andrew

Well, I was quite impressed with the USGS website.  Within about three minutes, they had the big red square up on the map with a preliminary magnitude estimate.  The Canadian equivalent, in contrast, had no data that was less than a week old, and didn't get anything up for about half an hour.

Andrew - Davis VP2+ 6163, serial weatherlink, wireless anemometer, running Weather Display.  Boltek PCI Stormtracker, Astrogenic Nexstorm, Strikestar - UNI, CWOP CW8618, GrLevel3, (Station 2 OS WMR968, VWS 13.01p09), Windows 7-64

Offline KeithBC

• Senior Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 11:03:14 PM »
Keith,
I have noticed that if more than 20 people visit the Canadian earthquake site, it gets overloaded.  Joking about 20, but still, the two shakes we have felt in Toronto in the last 2 years have created enough visitors to crash their site.  Pretty embarrasing.  I am going to add Ken's usgs script on my page so there is some info there for the next quake within 500kms of me.

Andrew
Yes, I have noticed the same thing.  If there's a quake, you can expect the server to be unavailable for a couple of hours, and then the data to be a week old when it finally comes back.  I do check it from time to time because it has more local data than the USGS, but for live data, it's useless.

anything