Author Topic: Siting in a Wooded Neighborhood  (Read 560 times)

Offline scottm91

Siting in a Wooded Neighborhood
« on: September 19, 2018, 03:39:30 PM »
I was wanting to get the WS-2092A for my use, and for the kids to follow as well (Jr Hi & High Schl), but we live in very wooded neighborhood in NW South Carolina (VERY large, mature trees - 60' plus) and now I'm not so sure that it's conducive to one of these - not to get accurate readings anyway.  Only the front of my house is unobstructed (and even that has some medium to large trees either in our yard or the facing neighbor's house - i.e. we have a VERY narrow window for our Dish satellite to hit, we're so treed in), and I know my wife will not want a large tower with a weather station on it right out there in the limited open areas.  The sides and back of the house are pretty much covered with trees.  Any realistic options on installing this, given the circumstances?  I don't need scientific, TV news accuracy - just something for fun for us.  We also have a utility pole in the front yard that has a street lamp on it - we may could mount it there, but I'm doubtful that it's legal to attach private property to it.

What do you all think?  For fun, it doesn't really matter too much - just do the best we can?  Or it wouldn't even be worth it and get something simpler?

Thank you!

Offline dupreezd

• Forecaster
Re: Siting in a Wooded Neighborhood
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 04:24:17 PM »
Scottm, you are not alone in this situation. Most of us do not have the ideal location and compromise either in height due to HOA rules, houses or in your case trees. I have two story houses (mine included) all around me. Then there is a tree line 100 yards due east.

My suggestion is get a weather station, mount it the best you can and enjoy the hobby. Remember, the readings will be YOUR micro climate at your house. When you walk outside, that will be the temperature and wind you will feel.

Sure, your readings might be higher or lower than a "correctly" installed station, but you might just be surprised at how close your readings are to these stations.

Best of luck and enjoy the hobby.

BTW, from what I read, that WS-2092A is a great starter.
Davis VP2 6163 | WiFi Logger
CWOP - FW0717
Blitzortung 2100

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 07:31:01 AM »
I agree with dupreezd, most of us do not have the perfect placement for a weather station.

I switch to a WS-2902a about a year ago from a Acurite 5-1.  I have been quite please with the performance and reliability of this unit.  It was easy to put together and set up.  I also bought a WS-2000 recently for another location based on how well the WS-2902a worked.
Ambient WS-2000, Central Ohio - WU WC
Ambient
WS-2902, Lake Erie   -    WU WC

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 08:47:42 AM »
Sir_MAK,
Are you able to change your station picture in WU? I see it still shows your old Acurite 5-1. I know WU removed this feature, but I was wondering if people like you are stuck with old pictures or if they can at least remove them or not.

[ You are not allowed to view attachments ]

Sorry to have changed the subject. But I'll weigh in and say that I agree. Your weather station is your real weather. If you get low wind speeds then that is what you get at your location. People that live at the foot of a mountain have the same issue. But it isn't an issue. If the mountain is blocking the wind then so be it....they have no wind at their location. Your trees are no different. I mean do try and put your weather station as optimally as possible but don't feel like it is impossible. Hey maybe in the Winter when the leaves are gone you'll get higher winds.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 08:52:25 AM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 09:17:57 AM »
I have tried.  Since they stopped letting you post photos I have not been able to delete photos either.  If anyone knows how to do this please let me know.  The only way I know of is to deleted it from WU and then add it back as new.  I really would prefer not to do that.

BTW thanks for checking it out.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:36:00 AM by Sir_MAK »
Ambient

Offline galfert

• Global Moderator
  • Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:35:06 AM »
That is a bummer. Well I suppose one way of getting rid of it would be to delete the station ID and create a new one.  BUT DON'T DO THAT! If you delete your station ID your new ID will lose all your station history which is more valuable than fixing an old picture. I also think having a station with more history is something to be proud of like you are seasoned weather observer. WU also treats older stations with higher precedence on the Wundermap as you zoom out you end up staying on top while newer stations fall below and under the older stations.

The good news is that hopefully with the coming WU user interface upgrade (due in the next few months) this feature may get fixed.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2019, 02:59:36 PM by galfert »
Ecowitt GW1000 | Meteobridge on Raspberry Pi
WU: KFLWINTE111  |  PWSweather: KFLWINTE111
CWOP: FW3708  |  AWEKAS: 14814
Windy: pws-f075acbe
Weather Underground Issue Tracking
Tele-Pole

Offline Sir_MAK

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 09:37:27 AM »
Sorry I edited my reply while you were posting.  I didn't think about the history being lost.  Thanks
Ambient

anything