Author Topic: Funnyman Byron Allen Buys the Weather Channel  (Read 747 times)

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
Re: Funnyman Byron Allen Buys the Weather Channel
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 05:45:13 PM »
That is only the cable TV channel.  They've been licensing the name from IBM since Big Blue bought The Weather Company.

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 02:57:53 PM »
Yea, that's what I took away from the news stories, WSWeather. Apparently everything belonging to IBM as of the early 2016 purchase, like the weather.com website, weather underground, smartphone apps, etc. are not part of this deal.

Too bad, maybe an infusion of cash and dedicated talent would have been helpful, especially solving weather underground's many problems. Once it became obvious WU was no quick fix, the momentum died and I suspect it'll either be absorbed into weather.com or sold off in a fire sale corporate tax write-off.

Offline WSWeather

• Forecaster
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 03:20:52 PM »
WU was purchased for the PWS network.  IBM never intended to keep it going long term.

Offline Felix1

• PhD Engineering Physics
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »
WU was purchased for the PWS network.  IBM never intended to keep it going long term.

Thanks, makes sense. Glad I bought a domain and built a weather website years ago. Uploading to WU is just fortuitous so I don't get wound up when things don't work as hoped.

anything