Author Topic: I think I am ahead on this one, Low battery Station 1  (Read 2202 times)

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
  • Tonto to Lone Ranger : "never take off mask.
    • turned off
I think I am ahead on this one, Low battery Station 1
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:07:01 PM »
Now that my workshop has been thrown to one side of the basement and a dye kitchen is in place,  doing the repair work on the station isn't going to be easy.

So I got home from a long trip and noticed that on the Davis console, the low battery on station 1 notice.    I looked at my battery database and it was a year ago, so it seemed ok.    I went to my battery supply and snagged a CR123  out.  I buy them in bulk. Either Titanium Innovations, Surefire  or Duracell Industrial.  I also have flashlights of 1000 lumens that eat these for breakfast.

Ok. So I go out and replace the battery, give a looksie at the solar panel and connection and it looked good.   Two days later, the same message on the console, so I fish around for another battery, recalling I have been here before...   Two days later same deal.

So,  I go to the Scaled Instruments site, order a replacement ISS board.  they have two , one a 2016 and the other what I have already.  Ordered what i have and it is on its way.   Probably a leaky supercap  so when I get some shoveling of the basement out cleaning, I can replace it and have another temperatured /humidity etc station or even another ISS.  The other option is that the charging circuit is going out   .

In any case replacing the ISS will fix this .     Replacing the ISS is easy,  Remove all the cables through the port hole from Hell (why it is so small beats me.) pull up the release behind unit,  pop the old out, put the new in. Check the dip switches for same settings,  cuss alot fitting the sensor cables back in.   Put in a fresh battery, raise the antenna,  put the solar panel back in,  and we are done.  cuss some more because it is frickin hot out here and mosquitos at night.  Sheesh  70 year old farts shouldn't do this.

Offline eyecue

Re: I think I am ahead on this one, Low battery Station 1
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2017, 12:14:02 AM »
I had this error on my unit, I ran ESR meter on the super cap and it was OK.  I have not had time to see what else it could be.
Cocorahs, Skywarn, Aficionado of weather. Davis VP2  pro wireless, Oregon Scientific and DIY.

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
    • Sunrise Side Weather in Rogers City MI USA
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2017, 08:33:31 AM »
I already posted this some time ago, but I did have one occasion where RF from my 2 meter Ham rig caused a false low battery indication. I knew this because my transmission occurred during our Ham Club weekly net right at the same time the low battery indication was flagged by meteobridge.

My antenna is on the same mast as the anemometer(s) and is parallel to the mast. This is kind of an extreme case, but it does illustrate that there is some susceptibility to RF. I normally transmit at 20W. I know that I get "dashes" on my display if I use 50W, but I don't need to use that much power to reach our local repeater anyways.

Greg H.

Blitzortung Stations #706 and #1682
CoCoRaHS: MI-PI-1
CWOP: CW4114 and KE8DAF-13
WU: KMIROGER7
Amateur Radio Callsign: KE8DAF

Offline hankster

• Forecaster
    • NFM Weather
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 08:45:47 AM »
Last time I replaced my battery I had the same problem. Found out there was some oxidation on the battery connections. A little bit of sandpaper cleaned them up and no problems since.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2017, 09:32:41 AM »
I have replaced 3 batteries and the last one, a Surefire,   seems to have the ISS not in the low battery status.  Now I have the new ISS sitting on the desk and now waiting to see how long everything goes out there before Ichange the unit out.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2017, 06:37:12 PM »
.... at the same time the low battery indication was flagged by meteobridge.....

Does Meteobridge monitor the ISS battery level? What is the data# ?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2017, 06:59:47 PM »
.... at the same time the low battery indication was flagged by meteobridge.....

Does Meteobridge monitor the ISS battery level? What is the data# ?

Under the "Graph" function. The drop down box has multiple sensors. Select the appropriate one e.g. th0lowbat or wind0lowbat.

Greg H.

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2017, 07:39:49 PM »
Greg, So do you get actual voltage or 1 (low), 0 (normal)?

Offline miraculon

• Sunrise Side Weather
  • Forecaster
  • KE8DAF
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2017, 08:07:39 AM »
It is just a flag for Normal or Low. I could see the time that it happened, which correlated with the RF from my Ham transmission.

Greg H.

Offline eliteweathernz

• Weather Enthusiast/ Weather Equipment Support
  • Contributor
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2017, 03:33:07 AM »
Definitely sounds related to a bad super cap.

The batteries should last 2-3 Years at which they should be replaced even if they are still holding charge.
The Supercars do go after while and this means the ISS or transmitter drains the back up Lithuim battery pretty quick.

If your tech savvy you can try replacing the super cap or your up for a replacement board.

Cheers,

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2017, 10:35:30 PM »
I have replaced 3 batteries and the last one, a Surefire,   seems to have the ISS not in the low battery status.  Now I have the new ISS sitting on the desk and now waiting to see how long everything goes out there before Ichange the unit out.

Still holding on the surefire, makes me wonder if it was the battery and I had outdated in stock. Anyway, threw the old out and only have the surfire.

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 09:23:14 AM »
Well duck crap,   now showing the low battery on station 1 again.  I guess I am going to replace the ISS.  I have the new one sitting on the desk here.  I am sure the super cap is leaking on the old one.

If you are replacing the ISS, there are two models out there.  the 2016 , I am told reads high and needs to be compensated in the software. I have the older model and it should be fine.  Sucks having to replace it on a very hot day.

I hate re routing the cables through that small port when I have all the plugs populated. 

Offline ValentineWeather

• Forecaster
    • Valentine Nebraska's Real-Time Weather
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2017, 09:46:00 AM »
I would've ordered the 2016 transmitter and SHT31 myself. The new sensors are cheaper and all the old stuff is discontinued once out of stock.  if you didn't get the SHT31 and kept the old sensor it's an easy adjustment that can be done with the console in seconds.  Add .9 to older sensor with new transmitter.
Randy

Offline Aardvark

• Forecaster
    • turned off
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2017, 01:55:30 PM »
I went out and replaced the transmitter and it was easier and quicker than I thought it would. Everything cooperated and I am receiving communication in the house as well. I suspect  either I remembered how to do it from the last time or the ISS gods smiled on me.   So I keep a record of when I change batteries and things like this. Time to record it.

I wonder if onthe 2016 ISS  if the supercap is better than the old one.    I guess I will have to ask Davis on that one.