Author Topic: 5 in 1 fan and high temp readings (slow fan)  (Read 1423 times)

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
5 in 1 fan and high temp readings (slow fan)
« on: May 15, 2017, 09:15:19 AM »
Here's a tip that worked for me with the fan on the 5 in 1. Mine was running slowly, and temps were 2 or 3 degrees higher than ambient. I took a small flat head screw driver, removed the fan blades carefully by pushing off the plastic center piece attacked to the motor. Once off, put two or 3 drops of thin lubricant on the motor spindle, and keep it upside down. Move it into the sun so that the motor will run while upside down so the lube can get down into the motor a bit. Put back together. Fan will run like new and thermometer will drop a few degrees from where it was. Mine was less than all neighbors with 5 in 1's and less than my sensor in the rad shield by 1 F. I believe moisture eventually causes fan to start reducing it's power. Saves you some $$ if you were thinking of replacing the whole section.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2017, 09:17:35 AM by DoctorKnow »

Offline Glenn

• Forecaster
Re: 5 in 1 fan and high temp readings (slow fan)
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 08:31:56 PM »
Great tip! What kind of lube did you use?  I actually found some oil that's specific to electric motors.  It's used in ceiling fans and a local hardware store had some. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Acurite 5 in 1 Pro+
Southern VT
Connecticut

Offline DoctorKnow

• Forecaster
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 08:45:32 AM »
I've got several different kinds. The one I used is in a small metal container, and says "3 in 1" on it. I also have "break free" which is really good too. The kind you mention for motors would work also. The motor doesn't care. lol The idea is to free it up. Mine is smooth like new now and doesn't spike up and down on the graphics.

Offline Garagedude

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 03:29:58 PM »
I'm using plastic safe Liquid Bearings used in model railroad and powdered graphite lubricant which is used alot in grandfather clocks.

Offline Old Tele man

• Singing in the rain...
  • Forecaster
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 10:32:16 AM »
Powered graphite is excellent because as a dry powder, it does not attract and hold dust & dirt particles as oils & greases do.
• SYS: Davis VP2 Vue/WL-IP & Envoy8X/WL-USB;
• DBX2 & DBX1 Precision Digital Barographs
• CWOP: DW6988 - 2 miles NNE of Cortaro, AZ
• WU - KAZTUCSO202, Countryside

anything