Author Topic: No More Meteobridge Support (WIthout annual fees any way..)  (Read 10726 times)

Offline Jáchym

• Meteotemplate Developer
  • Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
Re: No More Meteobridge Support (WIthout annual fees any way..)
« Reply #75 on: May 27, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
Hi Boris,
I disagree with calling your SW ransomware, thats nonsense and I also understand reasons behind this. I only still think that for existing users, bug fixes should be available in a situation where these bug fixes are available anyway.
In other words, if there is a feature an existing user had in their MB and for some reason it stops working or needs a fix, you release that fix for new users, if that feature was available for the other users as well, they should see the update as well. As long as you maintain MB as such, you should try to make sure that the device does what it did at the time when I bought it or when I stopped being eligible for updates. There is a difference between new features and bug fixes and if you make the fix anyway for the others...

Keep up the good work! Im still a happy user!

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #76 on: May 27, 2017, 06:50:01 PM »
How about a show of hands from anybody that has an MB that does not function relative to the functions that it was purchased with at the time or in other words had a bug when it was brought and still has that same bug. 

Offline Colin

• Senior Contributor
    • Colin's Weather
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2017, 08:59:51 PM »
I don't care too much about new features or new functions. All I expect is that if a programming error, fault, exception or mistake is found it should be fixed free of charge.
Davis Vantage Pro 2 - USB Data Logger - Meteobridge
Porepunkah, Victoria, Australia
https://www.weather.manorts.com
https://www.punkaweather.com
www.meteo.manorts.com

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #78 on: June 05, 2017, 01:53:23 AM »
Within teo years after purchase any relevant bug should be found and fixed. So in reality you don't miss much of your expectstion.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2017, 05:27:22 AM »
Within teo years after purchase any relevant bug should be found and fixed. So in reality you don't miss much of your expectstion.

Boris I know you have helped me a lot by implementing the epoch thing to all users and thanks for that. I will not criticize your decision about MB support, it is your decision, which I dont 100% agree with, but respect it.

But I have to disagree with what you just posted. Theoretically yes, any bug would be found, but the problem is that you know very well that your SW to a large extent depends on third-party firmwares and services - i.e. weather station firmwares and services like WU etc. And if they make changes - which can happen any time - then there might a fix necessary, so the question is if you will do it then for everyone.

Suppose I use some station which gets a firmware update and it no longer communicates correctly with MB. You release a fix for it and my question is - would the person not eligible for the extra support see it? Or would their station become useless?

And what if this happens with some service, what if a weather network changes API, a weather network that was supported by MB at the time I bought it and now no longer works. Again my question is, will a user who did not pay the extra support, see this fix?

Im not saying they should or should not, but I would like to know the answer and I think thats what Colin was also referring to :-)

Offline Mattk

• Forecaster
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2017, 06:08:40 AM »
Is MB expected to be liable for changes made by other parties? Where does this type of thinking stop? It has to stop somewhere.

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2017, 06:38:34 AM »
Not liable, but I was only referring to the fact that you can´t say it has been around for long enough to have all bugs fixed. Bugs maybe, but problems could arise and it is in Boris´s own benefit to make the fixes - in the end if there were not these stations and services, he would have nothing to sell either... thats what MB relies on.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »
I think all views on this are exchanged and we are going in circles. Sorry that I disappoint those expecting to get life-long free support in terms of fixes, additions and what so ever. I still think 2 years of free updates is a reasonable compromise but this thread shows that expectations of some go far beyond.
founder of smartbedded.com - home of meteohub, meteoplug, meteobridge, meteostick

Offline Jáchym

• Forecaster
    • Meteotemplate
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2017, 08:34:15 AM »
Yes Boris, as I said, I respect your decision, I was only referring to the fact there could be problems and it might not be your fault as such. I was only asking if critical updates (eg. changed station firmware resulting in totally non-functional communication between MB and station) would be fixed for existing, non-extra paying users.

Offline docbee

• Forecaster
    • smartbedded
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »
As reiterating same old arguments does not stop here, I close the thread. Thank you for giving your view. I think all had have their amount of air time on this.